“Polite and Helpful Staff”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in the Comfort room. I arrived about 1.30pm and were unable to check in until 2pm. The staff suggested that I leave my luggage with them and have lunch at Shibuya.
The hotel is at a good location with 5 mins walk to Shibuya crossing and JR / Metro. The room size is comfortable and toilet was clean and spacious.

As it is near a metro line, I could hear the train when it enters or bypass the station. However it is not that loud that it disturbs me.

They have a point system which gives a 50% discount after staying 10 nights with them. Sounds good. Will definitely consider to stay here with a lower budget compared to Cerulean Towers.

Room Tip: Ask for High Floor and facing Shibuya Crossing
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Shibuya Granbell Hotel

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for altogether 9 days on our roundtrip in Japan . Tokyo was our favoriter and we ended up booking more night here than we had initially. It is so convenient! Close to everything but still a quieter neighbourhood , even though its literally 2 mins from the shibuya station and the great crossing. The hotel itself is very neat and modern . It's true that its a bit scuffed , but I think that's because the rooms are small and you bonk into corners with your bag:) breakfast is satisfying and it's included which is rare in Japan . We loved this place. Check out the little bars and restaurant in the hotel area . They're great . And venture up a bit towards Daikanyama which is more low key but lovely .

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Though my friend and I only stayed for 3 nights at the hotel we had amazing service from the Shibuya Granbell team. The hotel's description of how to locate the hotel from JR Shibuya Station was great!! We chose the single rooms each and was very satisfied. Our rooms were so immaculately clean, spacious for what we were expecting and amazingly comfortable beds. The bathroom was great with the hand held shower heads as well as the rain shower available, our favourite Toto toilets were available, And daily room maintenance was available too. I stayed in room 701 where as you walk in the bed is to your right, the desk to your left and straight ahead where the window is is your bathroom. Therefore I found that my room was very quiet. However, my friend had room 702 where as you walk in the bathroom was to your left then desk to left and bed at end where window was. She found her room to be a bit more noisy but when you're on holiday, staying in Shibuya for 3 nights a little noise doesn't bother you. The reception team were great!! Helped us out on several occasions of how to get to places, was very helpful with our 3am taxi to Tsukiji market, and overall very pleasant from check-in to check-out. Would definitely stay there again!! Thank you Shibuya Granbell team, we loved our stay with you!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We spent 3 nights while visiting Tokyo. The hotel is perfectly located, 5 minutes walking from Shibuya main shopping area, undreground station and the famous crossing. It is situated in a quiet area with plenty of small restaurants / bars around. The bedroom is quite good in size, comfortable bed, the bathroom is well equipped and very clean, there is a safe and air conditioning, and quite enough room to put your stuff. Breakfast is ok on the ground floor, although I would advise you to go on the 2nd floor restaurant where you have more choice and a better service. They offered us a welcoming drink at their bar because we booked directly on their website, nice attention! The staff is helpful and speak good English. Wi-fi is available everywhere, there is also a computer and a printer at the reception, useful to print out boarding passes. I will definetely come back for a next stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a Japanese "business hotel" so I didn't have high expectations for my stay at Granbell. I checked in really late at night, close to midnight and the process was a breeze. I actually arrived in Tokyo a few days before checking-in, and I left my huge suitcase with them. When I was checking-in, the front desk mentioned that the suitcase was already in my room. It was such a thoughtful gesture.

I will admit that the room can do with a bit more work - it looks a little tired and worn down. There was also a funny smell from the toilet but I couldn't work it out what it was. That said, the toilet was very clean and well-maintained. Not much space to put your own toiletries though. Water pressure is great. There was the standard Japanese toilet which keeps the seat warm (don't be alarmed when you sit on it!).

The room is tiny but again I was expecting that, so it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. There is a small desk just enough to put your mobile phone and wallet.
The bed is comfortable. Room was quiet and the A/C worked well. There is also a dehumidifier but I did not turn it on.

I had the Japanese breakfast which was yummy. Grilled mackeral, rice, miso soup, natto. Breakfast of champions (and heart-friendly too).

Location - this is where Granbell really shines. It's less than a 2-minute walk to the 24-hours supermart where you can buy snacks and onigiri (rice balls). 5-minute walk to Shibuya station. It is initially a little overwhelming with the overhead pedestrain crossings but you will figure it out very quickly. Plenty of sign posts to mark the way. The front desk is also very helpful; they can provide a map and directions. The hotel is also about a 5 minute walk to Ramen Nagi, a great place for a quick bowl of hot ramen. Plenty of other ramen shops around too.

I stayed in a single room. If I'm back in Tokyo for a short stay I will stay here again. Can't beat the price and the location!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Shibuya Granbell hotel is a pretentious “boutique” hotel which is well past its design sell by date. We should have realised this from the lobby which, when we found it, was scruffy, with grubby, grey, sagging sofas and a wooden floor which looked as if it had never been washed or polished. Whilst the location was great, it was no better than the other hotels we had stayed at in the Shibuya area on our two previous visits. Our “Premier Double” was simply awful. The room was on the third floor, looking out on to a tiled wall. To say the room was tired is an understatement: the wall paper was peeling; the veneer was falling off the bedside table and secured with sellotape; it was impossible to get into the far side of the bed without clambering over it (makes you wonder what a ‘small double’ would be like); the glass surface of the main table was so chipped, my husband cut his thumb; the ‘runner’ over the bed was stained; the toilet was dirty and the sink became completely blocked. The room would not be suitable for anyone one with a disability since it had a high step up to the bathroom and toilet area. The disappointment with the room was matched by the equally appalling breakfast: cold scrambled eggs, if you were lucky, some squash masquerading as fruit juice, lukewarm tea and coffee and a few soggy salads. We did not try the Japanese breakfast. In fairness, staff were helpful when we complained and our complaints were dealt with promptly, but their English was not as good as I had encountered elsewhere. The bed was very comfortable and bathroom itself, lovely. However, none of this alleviated our feeling that we were paying over the odds for an overhyped hotel which provided accommodation and food of a very poor quality compared to other hotels in the area. Go somewhere else!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank poos13
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is less than 5 min by walk of Shibuya Station in a very quiet street.
It means you have direct access to Narita airport via the NEX and an easy access to the subway network. Very usefull in that city. No need to speak about Shibuya by itself. A must
This is a boutique hotel. Its design is dark (especially the elevators) but very nice. Carpets must be change in my room. Too old.
Wifi was working correctly but no international channels on TV.
Breakfasts were average in both restaurants. Not a lot of quantity, no variety but good quality.
At last, the staff was very friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
SHIBUYA HOTEL EN
SHIBUYA HOTEL EN
#9 of 28 in Shibuya
Dormy inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae

Been to Shibuya Granbell Hotel? Share your experiences!