“Not sure what others see”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Oregon
“Not sure what others see”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The room, especially the bathroom, was dirty, (loose hairs of all types and a discarded contact among other things) and the ceiling was covered with black mildew. We were very disappointed. The place is also crawling with foreigners, and the direct environs of the hotel seedy -- perhaps appropriate because it advertises itself proudly as a "day-use" hotel. Yes, it's very close to Shibuya station, and the wait staff at the breakfast restaurant on the second floor were extremely nice. But not a great place for families. The vibe was funky, but we suspected the dramatic low-lighting in the hallways was to cover up dirt.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the annex -- appeared to be a newer wing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank WorldTravelwithKids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Diego
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My 2nd time staying at the Granbell Hotel in Shibuya. Stayed there 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. The compact rooms are great. it's an excellent value, we located (close to Shibuya Station). staff is accommodating and friendly. the surprise this time was the food in the front restaurant. excellent food and service.

no wifi in the rooms, but you can get a wireless router at the front desk for a small deposit.

Worth a stay. As stated: great value and excellent location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ModernTraveler10
london
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed for business for 6 nights in October 2012.
Rooms are small but the space is really maximised and they have a cool design.
The breakfast choice is limited and ok if you are staying there for a couple of nights as we were staying longer we ate outside a couple of times at breakfast.
There is no wifi in the room unless you borrow a router - I didn't realise this until the last night as the receptionist didn't speak very good english when we checked in so didn't know this facility was available. Best to take advantage of the wifi as there is hardly any free wifi in the city (I expected there to be much more free wifi in cafes etc but there isn't).
Short walk to Shibuya station and to shops etc so really good location.
I have stayed in nicer Tokyo hotels but this is good for the money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank helenp56
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Me and my wife were just staying here for a night before heading home, therefore we didn't ask for any upgrade or anything. First of all, this hotel is super hard to find and it is kind of up the slope, but other that, I'd totally consider this hotel again. The room is small, but understandable because this is Tokyo, for the price we paid, I think it is decent. In addition, there is a free breakfast which I don't normally see this being offer in many hotel in Tokyo. This hotel has very modern design and most important of all, the location, you can easily walk to anywhere within minutes. The staffs are friendly and service is good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
los angeles
Reviewed November 5, 2012

First, positives:

- Location, location, location. This place is a 2-minute walk from Shibuya station, which is one of the major train/subway stations in Tokyo and therefore makes it convenient to get almost anywhere in the city. Shibuya is also one of the centers of youth culture in the city, so it's more vibrant and fun (though also therefore more crowded and a tad grimier, which I actually kind of liked) than other neighborhoods.

- Room design: Our "Modern double" room was small but comfy and ingeniously laid out, as many Japanese hotel rooms are. Special props for the bathroom, which is glassed in on two sides so you can peer into it from the bedroom portion of the room (curtains provided for privacy). It creates a sense of a larger space -- not claustrophobic at all. It was totally clean.

- Price: though it was among the more expensive hotels in our two week trip through Japan, it's a good value for this area.

Now, the downsides.

- Firstly, and this is not something I'd typically say of many small foreign hotels, they really need to have staff who speak better English. Why? Because this hotel now has a Tripadvisor award, and they are *clearly* trying to cater to and solicit foreign business -- the majority of guests we saw in the hotel were *not* Japanese. The staff is ever-friendly and polite, as were almost all folks we met in Japan, but they didn't quite have the language skills to really provide good concierge service (booking restaurants, providing directions, etc) or to explain many intricacies of the hotel. Speaking of which:

- There is no service elevator in this tallish hotel. That means for several hours during the middle of the day, when the staff clean the rooms, the two elevators were constantly in use by staff. This meant to get up to -- and down from -- our room in the afternoon, we often ended up stopping at every floor so service people could get on and off the elevator to do their work. What should have been quick stops to grab something from our room became frequent fifteen-minute wastes of time. Why didn't we just use the stairs? Because...

- The stairway doors are locked. Maybe there's a way for guests to open them, but I certainly couldn't figure it out. Maybe they open automatically in case of emergency, but in addition to being an annoyance I did worry about safety in the event of fire or something.

- The bedroom windows can only be opened and closed by staff with a special key. This isn't atypical of hotels, and usually it's not a problem because there's climate control in the room to adjust for heat or cold. EXCEPT...

- We stayed during the week when the month changed from October to November. And it turns out that starting November 1st, the hotel turns on the heat, and doesn't allow you to use the controls in the room to cool things down. So we were stuck in a warmish room, unable to turn on the AC, or to open the window without calling a service person to do it for us. Majorly annoying, especially after two people take showers and the room gets so humid the window actually fogs up.

I'm a little sad to point out these flaws, because again, the staff was super friendly, the room was neat and we enjoyed our stay in the area. But I feel like the Granbell now has an international rep and they could do a bit more to live up to it.

Room Tip: Higher floor means it'll be quieter, however it'll also take more time to get up and down fr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank triceratops111
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Was recommended to go to this area and after reading other comments on trip advisor found the Hotel easily. Thanks to others as it is a small entrance. Found the staff very helpful and frendily ESP when it came to organizing our own day trips. Wireless Internet in room, thanks again to trip advisor, ask reception and pay a 1000yen bond. Rooms are average for Japan but lovely big bathroom and still enjoying the Japanese toilets (bidets). My partner and I stayed here 3nights and after the first breakfast in the downstairs resturaunt was cold toast and eggs we tried the upstairs the next morning and found it much better, at least hot and fresh. Loving Japan and still here have made our way down the Islands after 2weeks, off in a few days. Highly recommend the JR rail pass and you need to arrange before you leave home. Awesome Counrty clean and people very frendily.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea W
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great hotel. For a very reasonnable price, you get a nice, clean and modern hotel in Shibuya, 3 mins from the Shibuya Station, which links 3 metro lines and 1 JR line. So going wherever you go is quite straightforward. You get a discounted rate is you stay more than 5 days I think.

Rooms are small, yes, but well designed. I never went back to my room before 9pm anyway, so I did not really matter for me. Shower is powerful and enjoyable. I slept well, AC works very well, the room was dark at night without much exterior noise.

The staff was helpful. They have wi-fi in rooms and it was efficient, and free breakfast, which is ok, no more, no less, it kind of fills you up until lunch.

Overall, I recommend this place to everyone who would like to stay in this area. I give this hotel a 5 star rating because I had great and efficient email communications with them before my arrival and it was everything as advertized. Also, I thought I would have to pay big bucks to stay in Tokyo and I was really not the case ( paid 120$ all taxes included for a single. Doubles are a bit higher).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bart_58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Dormy inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae
Shibuya Tokyu REI Hotel
Shibuya Tokyu REI Hotel
#12 of 28 in Shibuya

Been to Shibuya Granbell Hotel? Share your experiences!