Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrain showerjapanese breakfastgreat locationrooms are smallsingle roombreakfast was includedpedestrian overpassbed was very comfortableopen the windowminute walkoverhead bridgethe ground floortrain stationquiet areawestern stylerestaurants and barsexplore tokyo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this hotel in Tokyo after a whole lot of research into which hotel I should choose. I read about it in the Lonely Planet guide to Tokyo and it was a really good choice.

It was hard to find from the station because I had just got off a 7 hour flight and an hour long train ride and was pretty discombobulated from arriving in thriving Tokyo, but the directions given on here are excellent. Make sure you take the South Exit and not the New South Exit, I made that mistake.

It's really close to all the awesomeness of Shibuya without being in a crowded area. The first few nights I was in Japan I stayed here in a single room which was tiny but perfect for just me and sort of adorable. I decided to re-book for when I got back from Kyoto and they upgraded me to a double room which was huge compared to the single and very nice.

The only channel on TV in English was MTV, but it's Japan, so what do you expect? The WiFi in the lobby is pretty good and there is a laptop you can use too. One night I went out and got horribly rained on and they had a towel for me at reception and were very nice.

I really recommend this hotel, I had an enjoyable stay. The breakfast was ok, sort of strange because they served salad and soup with french toast, but that's sort of why you go to Tokyo, for different experiences.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank beajolley
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I recently stayed at the Granbell for nearly a week while attending a conference in the Shibuya area. It was a great base for the stay - convenient location to Shibuya station, efficiently designed rooms, good breakfast and free intent in the lobby. The room was absolutely silent - no outside noise or noise from other rooms.

It's not the easiest place to find from the station, though the map on the hotel website is good - if you come out of the south west entrance of Shibuya station or get dropped off by bus, you have to use the elevated footbridges to cross the intersection. Look for the "Key" guitar shop or a large bookshop - those are on the right direction and the hotel is one block farther along. You can see the hotel name in neon lights high up on the building.

The rooms are small but very cleverly designed and I didn't feel cramped even with two suitcases (3 week stay, including a conference!). The bathroom is also well-designed and completely fine (not cramped). The included breakfast was a nice touch and they did have some western options, at least in one of the two restaurants.

Special mention to the staff for their help in booking a complicated bus tour - it certainly didn't feel like a budget hotel, but I booked a few months ahead and e advance rate was very reasonable for central Tokyo. I'd definitely plan to stay again if I'm ever back in the area.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed in a single room at Shibuya Granbell Hotel in August 2012.

The hotel is conveniently located from Shibuya station, which has easy access to the Narita express train to Narita airport. It was a little difficult to find the first time. The easiest way to get to the hotel from Shibuya station is to exit from the West Gate and take the pedestrian overpass (there is an elevator for people with luggage) directly over the big street, until you see a family mart on the corner (at street level). Take the stairs/elevator down to street level. When you're facing Family Mart take the street on the left for a block, and make the first left. The hotel will be directly ahead.

It is important to note that the hotel charges per person per room. There were 3 people in our group and we booked a double and a single. Found out the hard way - we had to pay extra for the second person, even though we had book a double room.

The single room that I stayed in was just enough space for one person, but it was clean and well maintained. There was a twin bed, a small desk, and a mini fridge with complimentary bottle of water a day. There was no closet in the room, so I lived out of my luggage during my stay. The bathroom is only separated by a glass door, so there is no privacy. Not a big deal since the room was for one person anyway. It was difficult to control the room temperature because it was in Japanese. I was never sure which was the AC, fan, or heater. The hotel has wifi in the lobby.

The hotel provided breakfast tickets to one of 2 restaurants. The restaurant at the 2nd (or was it 3rd) floor of the hotel was great. You pick what style (western, japanese, french toast, etc) that you want, and they bring you a tray. I tried the western and japanese styles, and they were delicious. The other breakfast option, however, is sorely lacking. Cona restaurant, located next to the elevators in the lobby, was HORRIBLE. They only had eggs, sausage and some bread, and everything was left out on the counter so everything was cold. Complained to the front desk and they basically said, 'sorry, nothing we can do.' The breakfast and the response of the staff is the reason I'm giving the hotel 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank g10betr0tter
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the second time we will be staying in this Hotel. The staff are very friendly. Rooms are
small... but clean , and stylish. The location of the Hotel in central Shibuya Tokyo is perfect. Breakfast is very Japanese. You are not going to get a continental breakfast here,... but then again why should you ?? ....... your in Japan!!.... lap up the culture!!

Room Tip: Really important for non- smokers....Don't forget to specify smoking or non-smoking rooms when booking.... They are small rooms so it makes all the difference.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Frances889
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This Hotel is an amazing stay in Tokyo. The Shibuya district is simply amazing and the hotel is in an amazing location, near the train station.
The hotel is very modern, clean and welcoming.
The staff is very nice and the design of the hotel is very cool and sofisticated.
We loved it.