“Great Place to Stay!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shibuya
Hotel Excellent Ebisu
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
TN
“Great Place to Stay!!!”
Reviewed June 2, 2007

This is a great place to stay if you want to be right in the midst of things! It's right across the street from the Ebisu station, so travel to other localities is very easy! The room was small, but quite clean, the halls were quiet, there's a fridge and water heating device so that you can refresh yourself. The "Peacock" grocery is just down the street, so you can fix things to eat in if you need to. I'll stay here every time I come to Japan! You might need to plan on bringing some wash cloths for the bath, and you might want to purchase some softer toilet paper when you get here, but other than that, this place is wonderful!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rough toilet paper!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank TNTravelerTN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2006

This was the second time I have stayed at Hotel Excellent. Probably my last time too.

Before I get onto what made me never want to come back, I say a few good things about it....

It's in a very convenient location right across from Ebisu station (on the Yamanote line), so not too far to drag your baggage. Lots of great food options here, from your Western fast food outlets to awesome ramen shops. Go exploring around the back lanes for the best places. Ebisu is right next to Shibuya and Shinjuku, so you're right in the thick of it. The rooms are small, but clean. The non-smoking rooms smelt of stale smoke, but no big deal. Free internet was a bonus!

Ok, onto the bad points:

I arrived on a long haul flight from London, arrived at Narita at 7am, got to the hotel around 10am. Check in time is 2pm. I was hoping for a bit of leway so I could have a shower, change stinky clothes etc, but they were insistant on the 2pm check-in. Being deadly tired I decided to go to Shibuya to grab some food and look around. I got back to the hotel around 1:55pm and asked to be checked in. They one again stood firm and told me I would have to wait until 2pm to get into my room. Waited for 5 minutes then they checked me in. Argh.

On my last day, check out time was 10am, I was busy showering and packing for my last leg back to Australia. I got a call at 10:05am asking when I'll be checking out. I told them I was packing and would be down at 10:30am. Packing and cleaning took a little longer than expected and got down to reception at 10:40am. They kindly informed me that they would have to charge me for the extra 10 minutes! My jaw hit the ground.. I was speechless. I paid the trivial amount and said goodbye forever to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Shibuya hotels

Hongkong
Reviewed July 4, 2006

I stayed in Ebisu Excellent Hotel during my business trip to Tokyo cos its just 10mins walk to our Tokyo office;
Now I'd already stayed there 4 times during past year, and each stay at least 6 days.
Overall its a nice tidy business hotel and price is very reasonable(considering hotel rate is freaking crazy in Tokyo!!!)

room's tidy & clean, the cleaning ladies really do their job seriously well :)

but since its a business hotel, its size and amenities are limited,
I'll use "petite" to desrible size of hotel room, if you stay too long in your room you'll feel like sitting in jail :)
especially for bathroom, considering i'm an average size asian woman (5'3 and 110lb weight), already I felt very difficult not to hit anything when i turned round or came out from bath tub.......so for men or big guys, they may have a hard time in the bathroom though.

and bear in mind you've got only 2 cloth hangers in each room!!!! so during my 1st stay in Ebisu Excellent, I had to hang all the clothes (for a 8 days trip!) on that 2 and only hangers!!!! LOL.......since then I always keep 3 spare hangers in my suitcase with me :)

if you are easily awaken, better request a room at least above 6/F;
I remember the hotel seems to have 10/F (or 11/F?? ....can't remember precisely~);
I've stayed in 3/F (reception counter is in 2/F, its G/F is a japanese restaurant); 4/F, 6/F and 9/F;
all facing the main road in front of hotel (also facing the train station); I had a hard time to sleep except the last time I stayed in 9/F where I finally could have more peace at night;
otherwise you can also try to request a room facing the back street behind the hotel (well, basically you wont be able to see the backstreet if you're staying in that side, cos you'll see the wall only....LOL, thats what happened to my colleague's room);

and remember the hotel has a very strict policy with check out time! they need you to check out at sharp 10:00am!!!! not the usual 11am or 12am check out time in other hotels around the world! one time I was still in my room at 10:05am, the reception called me 3 times to remind me its time to get my butt out of that room!!! LOL

in terms of hotel location, since its in front of Ebisu JR train station and tokyo metro station as well; you can travel by both JR train and Metro underground; and Ebisu is simply 1 station from Shibuya, 2 stations from Harajuku/ Omotesando, 4 (or 5?) stations from Shinjuku and 5 mins taxi drive to Roppongi; you've got all the main shopping / eating / drinking area nearby; in a way you're actually saving money on transportation w/ train, cos all you need will be 130 yen to 150 yen to get to those locations.

and next to Ebisu Excellent Hotel, there're 2 little streets which are full of restaurants and drinking pubs, you'll find all sorts of cuisine.

and if you wanna shop some grocery, next to Hotel Ebisu you'll find one small street (with a Vodafone store at the corner), walk inside this small street you'll find a Daimaru supermarket which offers you everything at good price :)

all in all its a pretty good deal to stay there if you wanna minimize your budget when visiting tokyo

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank YY417
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed November 4, 2005

I just came back from a trip to Japan, and although we were staying in Yokohama, we needed a place to stay for 2 nights in Tokyo. Upon researching on the internet, Hotel Excellent Ebisu was the only hotel I found that was reasonable AND charges per room (like America) and not per person. So, we got the room for 11,550 yen a night (about $100 a night.)

The hotel is very very convenient that is is right in front of Ebisu Station (West Exit if I remember correctly.) There is a drugstore and a fast food shop next door, as well as other restaurants nearby.

The front desk clerk was nice enough to hold our luggage before we checked in at 3PM, and check in process was smooth too. As an American resident I was asked to show my passport.

The room is small, but hey, it's a business hotel, and it was very clean. After we put our shopping bags on the side of the bed, there was no walking space. But again, not complaining. And there is no closet. Just 2 wall hooks and 4 hangers, just enough to hang your jackets.

You need to take a step up to get in to the bathroom, (maybe you can see it in my picture.) and the bathroom is again, very clean, with enough amenities.

All in all, a nice convenient place to stay for a businessman or a couple who is just looking for a nice, decent place.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank alohapop
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 1, 2005

We needed a place to stay in Tokyo that was reasonably priced as we were going to be there for almost 10 nights over the Christmas and New Year's holidays.

My girlfriend Sonoko discovered this hotel near her parents home in Ebisu and we found it to be very conveniently located (near the train station, across the street from Starbucks, not far from great Izakaya restaurants), very quite and clean.

It's a business man's hotel which means the rooms are meant for sleeping only, not lounging. For westerners, this means not much room. The bed was small and indeed occupied 90% of the room. The bathroom was literally an elevated, plastic cubicle, but perfectly acceptable as long as I remembered to duck my head and move slowly.

There weren't really any amenities to speak of, but at US$100 per night for two, we thought it a good deal. One thing to note: you pre-pay when you check in for your entire stay.

• Stayed December 2004
7 Thank AdrianHo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Tokyu Stay Shibuya Shin-minamiguchi
Shibuya Tobu Hotel
Shibuya Tobu Hotel
#8 of 27 in Shibuya
Hotel Mid In Meguro-Ekimae

Been to Hotel Excellent Ebisu? Share your experiences!