“The Best Value For Money Hotel in Tokyo?” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Excellent Ebisu

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shibuya
Hotel Excellent Ebisu
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Shanghai
“The Best Value For Money Hotel in Tokyo?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

I stay in this hotel every month, as it's very close to our Tokyo Office. It's the best value for money hotel I've found in Tokyo, and I've been going there regularly, on business, for the last 2 years.

Rooms are (very) small, but always spotless. Bathroom is also small, but, again, everything clean and new. Biggest issue for me is that (as in many upscale hotels in Tokyo), all TV channels are in Japanese. Free high-speed internet is a plus.

Location is a killer: 1 min from Ebisu station, 2 stops from Ropponggi, easy access to Tokyo Station (20 min) for the Narita Express to the Airport, Shibuya and Shinagawa a small subway trip away....

At this price and location, I will not say impossible, but EXTREMELY difficult to find comparable hotels in downtown Tokyo.

Ebisu Excellent Hotel is not where I would spend my honeymoon, or where I would take my little kids for a vacation, but it does the trick as a very decent business hotel in Tokyo.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AntonioShanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tokyo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2007

Location wise this property is king because of its about 1 minute from the station (20sec if u do mad dash) but the size of the room by any standards is too small. I wouldnt consider this a hotel but rather a business hotel due to its size. I felt most comfortable when i closed my eyes and imagined i was a the Grand Hyatt, Ritz Carlton or even any Oakwood property. A part of any vacation should also include the comforts of a nice hotel... well Excellent won't offer this. Its just a place to sleep, nothing else. It can't all be about location. If there was a positive note, Ebisu Area offers some great Ramen, Yakiniku, Standing Bars, Irish Pubs, Atre Department Store (Above the station), variety of restaurants and most of all this area is not insanely packed like Shibuya or Shinjuku... Station is smaller and you wont get lost. PS: Get a room that overlooks the main street and not the back (as your view will be the next building inches away). If you are traveling with 2 dont stay here they will charge you double... go check out a Serviced Apartment like Oakwood, fee is flat no matter if 1 or 2.

Stayed November 2007
6 Thank EbisuHapa

Travelers are raving about these Shibuya hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2007

We stayed here for a week. It gets an A+ for location -- Ebisu is just 2 stops away from Roppongi and 1 stop away from Shibuya and Meguro. The rooms are standard Japanese business hotel size and you won't have any room for yoga after putting your luggage down flat. Decor is dated but everything works, is spotlessly clean and not a whiff of smoke on our non-smoking floor.

On our last day they were in the process of replacing all the old CRT TVs in the rooms (with LCD ones I presume). Booking is not convenient as they don't do email or online bookings. You'll have to call or fax them but their spoken English is excellent. A true budget gem in a trendy part of Tokyo.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Outdated interior
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank gauntlet
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

Can't beat the Hotel Excellent for location--walking distance to Daikanyama, Shibuya, and other trendy hip locations if you want to stay out after the trains stop--and price. Very close to international ATM, Starbucks, subway, and JR station. Clean, nice rooms. Helpful staff. Truly excellent.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Early check-out time (10am)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jdaries
NEW YORK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

Great ebisu location,with subway and jr close to the hotel location,great rates for the area,only downside it's rooms are small.

Stayed June 2007
4 Thank TOKUGAWA
TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2007

This is a great place to stay if you want to be right in the midst of things! It's right across the street from the Ebisu station, so travel to other localities is very easy! The room was small, but quite clean, the halls were quiet, there's a fridge and water heating device so that you can refresh yourself. The "Peacock" grocery is just down the street, so you can fix things to eat in if you need to. I'll stay here every time I come to Japan! You might need to plan on bringing some wash cloths for the bath, and you might want to purchase some softer toilet paper when you get here, but other than that, this place is wonderful!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rough toilet paper!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank TNTravelerTN
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

This was the second time I have stayed at Hotel Excellent. Probably my last time too.

Before I get onto what made me never want to come back, I say a few good things about it....

It's in a very convenient location right across from Ebisu station (on the Yamanote line), so not too far to drag your baggage. Lots of great food options here, from your Western fast food outlets to awesome ramen shops. Go exploring around the back lanes for the best places. Ebisu is right next to Shibuya and Shinjuku, so you're right in the thick of it. The rooms are small, but clean. The non-smoking rooms smelt of stale smoke, but no big deal. Free internet was a bonus!

Ok, onto the bad points:

I arrived on a long haul flight from London, arrived at Narita at 7am, got to the hotel around 10am. Check in time is 2pm. I was hoping for a bit of leway so I could have a shower, change stinky clothes etc, but they were insistant on the 2pm check-in. Being deadly tired I decided to go to Shibuya to grab some food and look around. I got back to the hotel around 1:55pm and asked to be checked in. They one again stood firm and told me I would have to wait until 2pm to get into my room. Waited for 5 minutes then they checked me in. Argh.

On my last day, check out time was 10am, I was busy showering and packing for my last leg back to Australia. I got a call at 10:05am asking when I'll be checking out. I told them I was packing and would be down at 10:30am. Packing and cleaning took a little longer than expected and got down to reception at 10:40am. They kindly informed me that they would have to charge me for the extra 10 minutes! My jaw hit the ground.. I was speechless. I paid the trivial amount and said goodbye forever to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Tokyu Stay Shibuya Shin-minamiguchi
#8 of 27 in Shibuya
Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Shibuya Granbell Hotel
#7 of 27 in Shibuya

Been to Hotel Excellent Ebisu? Share your experiences!