“Right in the heart of the city”

Shibuya Tokyu REI Hotel
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Oslo
“Right in the heart of the city”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Hotel is very central, right by Shibuya Station with shopping and lots of restaurants. Very close to the "Shibuya Golden Gai" a hidden street with small bars. "Shibuya Golden Gai" is not as big as the Shinjuku Golden Gai. The hotel room was very tiny (which is common in Tokyo) so we knew it would be small. The room was very clean and had a refrigerator and a/c. We booked a non-smoking room but the smell of tobacco came through the ventilations system from the smoking rooms, so it smelled cigarette which was not so pleasant but we would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DollyOslo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had a 3-day stay here and had a mixed experience. The rooms were very tiny. Bathrooms felt like being in a boat (very cramped). However, the amenities were very good and nothing can beat the location.

Value for money - not that great, but if you want to get around the city, Shibuya station allows you very good connectivity.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed here with a friend, twin single beds and non smoking. Really easy to find, right by Shibuya Station exit 10 and a $10 taxi from Roppongi night life (Shibuya also has its own nightlife too). Mcdonalds and a family mart either side. Also a fantastic french cafe across the road. Seibu and major shopping in the buildings behind. Booked through hotels.com. Really can't beat it. I also stayed and paid more for Shinjuku washington and this was far superior and bigger for tokyo standards (tokyo rooms are very small). I recommend for family and friends. Not very luxurious though as it's a business hotel but it's cheap! The staff spoke perfect english when i was there and kindly stored luggage before and after our stay. No english speaking tv but if you're watching tv in Tokyo you're doing it wrong. Will stay again!

Room Tip: Non smoking room is recommended. Luggage storage available.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Amanda N
honolulu
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The hotel is close to the train station, shopping and lots of restaurants. This was our first time in Japan and a friend booked the hotel for us due to its proximity in the city. The a/c in the room was not working. Not sure how to work it but decided to make do and just stay put for 3 days. The price of the room was very reasonable, but I guess you get what you pay for. The bathroom was so small like it belonged in a cabin of a cruise ship. The room was very small and there was no closet, just a bar to hang clothes and a shelf behind the entry door. There are no safes in the room and I went to the front desk to keep my valuables. I was handed a large paper envelope and as told to put my valuables in there which the clerk folded and placed on a shelf under the front desk counter. I walked away puzzled and figured I should just keep my things in my room, which I did. The hotel is located about 2 minutes from the Shibuya train station and about 3 minutes from lots of shopping. It was very convenient to get to the train and go anywhere in Tokyo. Each morning and afternoon the city came to life with thousands of people on their way to or from work. The hotel is literally close to the city center which I appreciated. We ventured out each morning to the train station and in the afternoon/evenings we went shopping and ate at nearby restaurants. The one saving grace for this hotel is the restaurant in the lobby. We had breakfast there 1 morning and there was a pretty good buffet. They have miso soup, bacon, rice, omelet, bread, pickled plums and fish. It was a japanese/american buffet which I thought was great. We had dinner there with a couple of friends who live in Yokohama and just ordered the special which turned out to be octopus curry. It was so tasty! I had never had octopus ink before and it was great. I love the texture of squid and octopus and really enjoyed this dish. In fact, I still think of that curry til today.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a vacation but more for business and definitely only for 1 or 2 days at the most.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank happyhawaiian004
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Glad I hadn't read the previous reviews after I booked this hotel (having read reviews prior to November. I booked it early). The air con was working so it was perfect temperature as I could set it myself. Staff spoke very little English but that is common across Japan so I don't see why people complain about that. You come to a country not knowing the language, expect some difficulties (I speak zero Japanese, but managed fine!). The room was small and compact but suitable for sleeping (quiet and comfy). There is a floor with ice and food and drink vending machines. No room service (not really required though in Tokyo when there is so much choice). Perfect location. Close to shops and the train. Short and simple walk to Harajuku as well. Would stay here again for the price it was. Also had a non smoking room and didn't suffer from any issues.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank haylz_me
Sydney
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I read the review of this hotel before booked it for 7 days of our stay in Japan. Most reviews said this is best for its location though this is not the hotel that you will remember as a great place to stay, so I did not expect anything superb for this hotel, as long as its a strategic location with restaurants, family mart and shopping districts nearby, and near to subway, its good enough for us who was travelling with 2 year old toddler.

Surprisingly it was far worst than my low expectation. The air conditioner was not working so we told the receptionist,p with the though that it may just happened to our room, and we were told that THEY DID IT IN PURPOSE AS IN THEY TURNED OFF THE AIR CON FOR THE WHOLE BUILDING SINCE THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS NOT HOT, so the guests dont need air con. They offered us a fan to use. What a shame, we paid more than hundreds dollars per night and expect nothing but the ordinary hotel with some basic services includes air conditioner. AND they told us to open the window to get fresh air so we had no choice. We ended up with sleeping uncomfortably as we could heard the sound of trains, musics etc so loudly from the hotel room.

I wouldnt come back to stay nor recommend this hotel. The staff didnt speak English at all and they werent friendly and helpful. Also, we asked for non smoking room since we stayed with a little kid, but they gave us a room where you can smell a strong cigarette smoke just right the very first step to the room. We complaint but the staff didnt put some efforts to find another room, as they said it was full. No apologise at all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Curly8888
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed last week (mid oct 2013). The worst ever hotel in my entire life so far:
1) since the weather was quite cool on the outside (18 celcius), the air con in the rooms were switched off purposedly. When we asked to turn it on, the told us to just open the window in our room!

2) we were given a room that smelled cigarette so bad although they called it non-smoking room. Imagine having a 2 yr old with us and stayed in a room smelled cigarette so bad.

Overall, if you're planning to stay transit for 1 nite only, the price MIGHT be worth it for you. Otherwise, i suggest picking a different hotel. This ain't a hotel, like the name says, 'inn', it's actually a motel standard!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family