“Affordable Shinjuku Accomodations”

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Sunroute Plaza in Shinjuku is in a great location very close to the Southern Terrace entrance to Shinjuku station, which makes getting to and from the Narita Express train a breeze. There are plenty of shopping and dining options within easy walking distance of the hotel. The breakfast the hotel serves is good and the hotel staff are very helpful. The rooms are quite small by western standards, but reasonable for a Japanese business hotel. If you like to unpack your clothes, like I do, you may find the lack of much in the way of storage space to be annoying. The rooms are clean and relatively quiet, and the bedding is decent. The English television options are very limited.

When reserving, choose the "bright room" option. Those rooms have a window between the bathroom and the main room which make the room feel larger. Also I believe they are better located for allowing in natural light.

• Stayed: January 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (4,990)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Great Location, easy access to Shinjuku JR and 2 of the Metro Station (one of the entrance is literally beside the hotel.) Post office just across the hotel (ATM available or if post service required etc) Not to mention hotel within walking distance to Shinjuku west for food etc.

Helpful staffs, easy communications (most of the staffs speak fluent english, at least during my stay). Will return back to this hotel again for sure. We were in a standard Twin room, the size is very decent even for two of us.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku is a very good value located right in Shinjuku, not far from the South exit of Shinjuku train station, and on the street behind the Southern terrace. I paid about $150 per night for a very nice clean comfortable room, and for this area, I think that this a very good value. Breakfast is decent, and it a lot better than other more expensive places in the area. Service is good, and WIFI is solid throughout the hotel. I wish they had more international TV channels, but other than that, I thought it was very good.

Room Tip: Get the room rate that includes breakfast
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is my third time staying at Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. The concierge has been very helpful with questions and directions during our stay. We stayed in a double room with queen size bed. The room is relatively small which is standard in Japan. The hotel room is a bit dated comparing to my first stay there about 5 years ago. This is still a good quality and value hotel for the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JLee2014
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My first time ever visiting Tokyo so I wanted to find somewhere that was easy to find, well priced and a room with a bit of comfort. Sunroute plaza ticked all the boxes! I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone on a short stay. Very easy to find! Take the South exit from Shinjunku station, turn right and on the same road as KFC / McDonalds turn left and it's a less than 2 minute walk.
Check in was easy, my room wasn't ready when I arrived (10am) but I left my bag off and went sightseeing. Staff were very helpful. I was on the 4th floor, I expected sleepless nights but I never once heard traffic outside or other guests. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was good. Bathroom supplies are provided such as shampoo, body soap, toothbrush, toothpaste etc which was good.
One of the first hotels that I've stayed in a long time that didn't have a safe in the room which might be off putting to some but I found everyone within the hotel trustworthy.
Travelling from the UK, 1 thing I would recommend is don't rely on those world travel adaptors that basically say you can use anywhere in the world. They don't fit the plugs properly here, the device is too big and I found myself having to prop a bag under the plug so it wouldn't fall out.
WIFI was extremely handy, although it did time out occasionally. I think that might've been because I was trying to use my phone and laptop.
Reading the policy about extra guests, I thought it was a big no no but 1 of my friends was able to stay a few nights which was handy. All I had to do was let the reception know in advance. Extra person charge is 4200 Yen.
If you're booking any trips through websites like viator, they won't lift you from this hotel but there are a few very nearby!

Room Tip: If travelling as a couple I would recommend paying extra for a larger room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank thelifeofdizzy
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Easy to get to from the airport thanks to the NEX direct train from Narita to Shinjuku Station. Actually, the station (one of Tokyo's largest stations) and location is what makes this hotel the perfect place to stay. You can get anywhere around the city very easily via trains or metro. Also, Shinjuku has everything you need in the neighbourhood, great shopping malls and restaurants etc. The Sunroute Plaza rooms are small, but have everything you could need. I guess in a city like Tokyo, most hotel rooms are going to be on the small size. One point about the room may be tricky if you are not expecting it - the bathroom has a large clear glass window directly behind the bed and also a door with clear glass in it - absolutely no privacy! Wasn't an issue for me travelling alone, but may be for others. The hotel has a nice lobby area and bar / restaurant. The breakfast buffet was very good with lots of choices. Was surprised how reasonably-priced the restaurant was for lunch and drinks - excellent considering this central-city location.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor (this is a 14 storey hotel)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2014

When we got to the hotel, it was late, and it took a bit of finding, but that was our fault for not really working out how to walk there from the station!
The atrium was really impressive and I was looking forward to a good sized room --- boy was I in for a shock! The room was tiny ... yes tiny. It was so small, I reminded me of my university room - yes that small! Having said that, the Japanese have a knack of managing to fit pretty much everything you need into such a small space. The only real thing I noticed was that there was sign of some real wear and tear in the room --- with some of the fittings looking quite worn out.
Nevertheless, the real reason we chose this hotel was because of the location. It is a short walk to Shinjuku station and that can pretty much take you anywhere you need within Tokyo as well as to the airport and beyond into the rest of Japan.
The great location outweighs the room issues.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
JR Kyushu Hotel Blossom Shinjuku
#13 of 87 in Shinjuku
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
#12 of 87 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!