“Heart of Shinjuku”

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was a nice hotel we were a little shocked by the size of the room when we first got there but I know for Japan it was pretty well on par.
It was very comfortable and had everything we needed.
The location of this place is great about 5 minute walk from Shinjuku station and just around the corner you can wander the streets and go shopping and find some of the little yummy places to eat.
Also the Glibli tour leaves from the hotel so that’s handy too.
Breakfast was nice and we would probably stay here again when we next visit Japan.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Likely this hotel should be under the Shinjuku listing rather than Shibuya.
Fantastic location, a few minutes from the station, great breakfast buffet. This hotel is reasonably priced, and you get all the amenities a modern hotel should offer. No wifi in the rooms, plug in only, so your tablet will be a problem. Wifi available in lobby. There is a direct shuttle bus from the hotel to Narita airport which takes longer than the Narita express train, but is convenient, but less frequent.
Only con to report, the carpets in the rooms could do with cleaning more frequently – there were stains in the 3 different rooms we stayed in (we stayed there twice during our 3 weeks in Japan)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Rooms are small but everyone says that is typical in most Tokyo hotels. Room has a small frig. and adequate bathroom facilities. Excellent customer service. Comfortable lobby and wi-fi lounge with 4 computers available to use. Good price. Best thing about this hotel is the location. It is about a block and a half from a large subway station, walking distance to great parks, shopping, restaurants, convenience stores, and other tourist attractions. Bank ATM next door.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Tiny Room for N.American standards. (Economy Twin) But looking around rest of Tokyo, you will understand why. As far as service and friendliness, by far one of the best I have ever come across. But then again anywhere in Tokyo the service is outstanding. Rooms are extremely clean and basic toiletries are provided including bath gel and shampoo. For budget travelers and city explorers this is an amazing deal. Did not travel with wife and kids this trip so not sure how big the other rooms are. The location is unbeatable as well. There is an exit/entrance to the E and S subway lines literally adjoining the hotel entrance. Just a word to first time travelers to Tokyo, they expect payment in full at the start of your stay. Cash or Credit. Also there is a Western Union money exchange up the street next to the Yoshinoya restaurant. Offers a way better exchange rate than the machine at the front desk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank gsd1980
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My previous stay in Tokyo was in Shinjuku and more due to familiarity, decided to come to Shinjuku for the 2nd trip as well. I was travelling with friends (no kids) and hence requirements were slightly different. I wanted convenience and good priced accomodation, as I will be spending on shopping and food.

You get what you pay for. This was actually booked for me by my fellow traveller. For about US100-120 per night per room, you get a place to stay that in very convenient. The metro for the Oedo line is literally steps away. There is a convenience store diagonally across the road, 2 mins walk max. Rooms are small though - I felt there was hardly room to move with the luggage on the floor - so something to take note of. But for this trip, as we were out most of the time, it wasn't much of an issue.

Like some travellers, one of the many reasons I chose this hotel was the airport bus came direct to the hotel. But alas for me, for the timing that I required, there was no bus that came to the hotel! Darn it, so I had to walk to the main bus station near the Keio shopping mall, dragging my bags along.

All in all, if I had to come back to Shinkuku/Shibuya again, I'll probably not stay here. It's a little too small for me (I'm 6'1"). I'll take the Hotel Century Southern Tower, where I stayed previously.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed our last two nights in Japan at the Sunroute Plaza, my main reason for choosing this hotel was that the "airport limousine" bus goes direct from the hotel to Narita airport - a boon with two large suitcases at 7am (just one point - it's not a limousine, it's a normal coach and it costs 3,000 yen each. Still, pick a seat on the left hand side of the bus and you'll get a lovely view of Tokyo from the harbour bridge as you leave).

Our hotel room was very pleasant, small (as expected) but the bed was comfortable and the bath was a good size. You can connect a laptop but sadly there's no wi-fi in the room, it's only available in reception (there is a Guest Lounge but I couldn't get the wi-fi to work in there, although I did manage to print our boardng passes).

The reception staff spoke excellent English and everything was very clean. We didn't try breakfast but did eat in the restaurant one night.

Shinjuku is a buzzing area with lots of lovely shops, within walking distance of Yoyogi Park, Harajuku and the Meiji Shrine, and the Tokyo Government Building which has an observation deck for a great, free view of Tokyo.

Room Tip: Higher floors would have best view
1  Thank nemish
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed here during my recent trip to Tokyo and I must say that the location is really convenient. It's near Shinjuku station where it is easy to travel to other parts of Tokyo. There are many places to eat and shop nearby. The size of the room is no issue since I already know Japan has smaller hotel rooms. Staff at the front desk speaks good English and check-in/out was efficient. Would stay again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Century Southern Tower
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
#13 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!