“For the Price, Cleaniness and Location. Its a bargain”

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here from 29th March to 8th April 2012 for Sakura. It is very near to Shinjuku station, krispy kreme, shinjuku and keio bus terminal. A very convenient base to travel around tokyo city itself and travel out to Hakone and Kawaguichiko. The price is around 150-160 a night, its cheap. As a first time traveller to tokyo, this is the perfect hotel. With or without breakfast is fine as there are alot of alternatives for breakfast out there. The room is very small and the double bed is only 140 cm wide, but hey, this is japan, what do you expect. Staff understand english and heater/AC is working great. We went through a slight earthquake and it is safe.

From Narita airport, you can take the narita express or keio bus transfer. Going to Ueno, Ebisu, Harajuku, Shibuya, Asakusa, Roppongi, tsukiji and Disney is a breeze from here too. with Keio bus terminal, I was able to hope onto a bus and took a 2 hour bus ride to Kawaguichiko for a night ryokan stay for onsen and view of Mount Fuji.

Thank you Sunroute!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Many good things have been said about this hotel, but I felt what was really lacking is availability of wifi. I travelled without a laptop on this trip, fully expecting to use my smartphone for internet access. To my disappointment, wifi was only available in the guest lounge on the second floor, and even then, the connection was very poor and I was unable to access the Internet.

1  Thank asianms
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent three nights here and loved it. It's in a very convenient location once you know how to get to it from Shinjuku station (we found video directions on YouTube!) The entrance gives the feeling of a very classy hotel. All the staff we met were very polite, helpful and spoke enough English to help us check in and advise us of breakfast times etc. The breakfast had plenty of variety with either Japanese style options or continental style choices.
The only downside for us was that as a family of 4 we had to stay in 2 separate rooms as there were not any family rooms or adjoining rooms available (they may have them but not available while we were there) The rooms are absolutely tiny (apparently this is very normal for Toyko) so when we all sat together chatting in one room it was very squashy but funny at the same. Its not a big problem as there is always the beautiful lobby to hang out in.
We have very happy memories of our stay at Hotel Sunroute Plaza, Shinjuku.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was my second stay in 3 years, and the standards of this hotel are as fantastic as before.

The hotel in general is modern and classy looking, particularly the wonderful reception lobby area. The staff are very welcoming and friendly, able to speak and understand basic English.

The easy to find location and proximity to the train station (about 5mins walk for me 38 and my mother 63), restaurants, and awesome shopping is extremely convenient.

The room itself was clean (and maintained as such), modern, and roomy by Japanese standards. And there was a small room near the elevators containing drink vending machines, and pay TV voucher machine.

I wouldn't stay anywhere but here when coming to Tokyo in future. Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku is #1 for me!

Tips
- from JR Shinjuku Station, we found it easiest to come out at the big South East exit, head towards the big white and orange clock of "First Kitchen". If we saw that, we knew we were going in the right direction!

- there is a "Family Mart" convenience store directly across from the hotel. Very handy to stop in at the end of the day to grab a quick cheap dinner (noodles, katsu, sushi etc), and some breakfast (chocolate filled pancakes yummm) for the next morning.

- there is a guest lounge on the second floor with Internet access computers, and u can get free wifi on your smart phone here too!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank AussieChops
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here during a short business trip in 2010. It was very convenient to get to, both from the train station and from the airport bus shuttle drop off. Each left you with less than 100 meters to navigate on foot. Ideally placed for access to Shinjuku.

Rooms are typically small, but scrupulously clean, and service is impeccable. A great choice for low maintenance travellers like ourselves. Everything works the way it should and it is clean

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have just returned from this hotel after spending 6 nights initially and then a final night after two days away in Kyoto. I was on a bit more of a budget this time and chose this hotel for it's location near my sons university accommodation. I had a standard twin room which was good. As previous reviewers have mentioned clothes storage space is limited. As I had my other son with me it was not too much of a problem as he travels light but I could imagine if two ladies were travelling together it may be a problem. The bathroom had lots of extras such as razors, hair scrunchie, toothbrushes, toothpaste, cotton buds etc. The location near to Shinjuku station is excellent. Thank you to a previous reviewer who listed directions from the station. I don't think I could have found it so quickly after a long flight without. When arriving at Shinjuku station (it is vast), take the South exit, cross the road and turn right. Walk down hill for a minute or so and take a left. The hotel is on the right after a couple of minutes walk. From Shinjuku station you can get all over the city easily. The reception staff were most helpful. They took delivery of a new suitcase for me from KLM who had damaged mine on the way and then they disposed of the old one with no qualms. When we left for Kyoto they kept one of my cases safely until my return so that was a huge help. The breakfast was also excellent. The choice was the same every day, however, the buffet selection was very wide encompassing Japanese, Western and continental. The bar and restaurant were expensive and closed reasonably early considering this was a hotel although I have nothing to compare it with in the city so this may or may not be normal. Wifi was available in the reception and also the guest lounge. I did manage to get it in the bar too. The guest lounge has fixed computers to use but I found them very slow and occasionally difficult as sometimes the characters were not the qwerty keyboard. There is LAN access in the room and whilst it works, again it can be slow. Overall I would definitely return if visiting my son again whilst he is in Japan.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Tokyo was our first stop in our 5 city Japan tour and we stayed in this hotel. As expected the room was small for twin sharing but it was all good & conveniently located near the train station and just opposite the big mall. So glad we chose to stay here. The front desk staff speaks decent english. They even have laundry area/coin operated washing machines which we should have used. You could really do the laundry your self ,save up if needed and spend your money instead on SHOPPING. Another thing.. I love their hair products. Wished I asked what products they use.Anyone knew... ?
I def would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Century Southern Tower
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
#13 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!