“Great room, great view”

Hotel Century Southern Tower
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We travelled by bus from the airport which delivered us directly to the hotel.
The hotel is 5 mins from shinjuku station so very handy for getting out and about.
We were suprised at the size of our room as we had been led to believe rooms are small in Japan but this very large, clean and comfortable. We were on the 32nd floor and the views were spectacular!!!
The buffet breakfast was great and served in a restaurant with another great view.
I would certainly stay here again a great introduction to Japan!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darad
There are newer reviews for Hotel Century Southern Tower

Reviewed October 12, 2013

(+) Super convenient location at Shinjuku railway station, rooms are spacious with all the amenities, small gym, bar with nice view on 20th floor
(-) breakfast buffet is very mediocre in terms of choice and quality, hotel appears to be understaffed, dull room design,

Ideal for business trip or tourism

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I recently reviewed the excel in Shibuya. For those who are first timers to Tokyo, I'll repeat what I said in that review.

I've been to Tokyo a few times and it's hard to find a bad hotel. Most are very clean / have great service etc etc.

The big difference between Hotels for tourists is location. If you have kids / teenagers - stay in Shibuya. Theres no better located hotel than the excel if you have teenagers / older juniors. It's located right on top of the station right in the heart of the action. Kids love this spot. Millions of them.

If your older, or are not travelling with kids - Stay in Shinjuku. Couple of traps. The Southern Century and Sunroute (both popular choices on trip advisor) are NOT in Shibuya. They are in Shinjuku. If you are travelling to Tokyo - these two major locations should be where you stay. Shinjuku or Shibuya.

Why not 4 stars for this Hotel? - Well I'm on the top floor, newly renovated room. The decor is - well...... shares of brown. Looks very conservative and dated to me already.

Should be non-smoking - but the room reeks of cigarette smoke. Too tired first night to go down and complain.

If you don't need the views so much - go across the road the the Sunroute. Although the sunroute rooms are a lot smaller their a more funky and a lot cheaper - I've seen them for 1/2 the rate of Southern Century at times.

Again - If you are brining your younger family / teenagers, don't stay here - stay in Shibuya at somewhere like the Excel.

If your here for business / older / more conservative -pick Shinjuku.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank finchpeter
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and had a fantastic stay. I booked into one of the newly renovated King Sized Panoramic rooms and I was given a room on the top floor with a West facing view. On a clear day, you could see for miles and from my room I could see the Meji Shrine and at night, I could make out the bright lights of Shibuya Crossing. I had heard that rooms are small in Tokyo but I was pleasantly surprised by the size of my room. I certainly had space to move around and to store my luggage and shopping purchases! The bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was lovely and quiet, so I was able to get a good nights sleep every night. Housekeeping came every day and my room was always left spotless. Tea, coffee and a kettle are provided as well as two bottles of water every day. There is a vending machine on each floor should you fancy a beer or soft drink and I thought the drinks were reasonably priced and in line with elsewhere in Tokyo. A large can of beer cost 300 yen and soft drinks ranged from 120 -150 yen each.

The location of the hotel couldn’t have been any better. I took the Narita Express from the Airport directly to Shinjuku Station and from here, there was around a 5 minute walk to the hotel (Using the Southern Exit) It certainly beat having to cart my luggage around for a long distance. I did not have breakfast at the hotel but I did not need to with a Starbucks, Krispy Kreme and a French Bakery all within a stones throw of the hotel. There are also department stores nearby with great food halls.

The staff at reception were friendly and polite and were able to speak English. If you ask at reception, they are happy to provide a free Tourist Guide of Tokyo, complete with maps of the various areas.

Should I ever return to Tokyo, I would definitely look to stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor for a good view of Tokyo
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was our second time in Tokyo and I decided to book this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. I booked on Expedia and the rates kept fluctuating as the dates got closer but I also noticed that around a month before our trip the rooms were sold out so definitely book early if you want to stay here.

We took a taxi from Haneda to the hotel, which cost 6000Yen + 2000Yen night fee + 800Yen toll, since we arrived around 11pm at night, had large luggage in addition to a toddler. The rates are fixed, but the driver still ran the meter (I guess to have a record?) and I saw that the ride on meter would've cost more than 11,000Yen.

As stated by all the other reviewers, the hotel lobby is on the 20th floor as all the other floors are office buildings/restaurants. It is well located as there is a Takashimaya right across the train overpass, which has many restaurants and a supermarket in the basement. In the vicinity, there are also other department stores (Lumine 1 & 2, Odakyu) and myriads of smaller restaurants to choose from.

There is no concierge or porter, which we don't care for anyway. The front desk was very helpful even though their English was very limited. There is a small sundries shop on the 20th floor that does luggage shipping (which we utilized when we moved to Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay).

We stayed on the 30th floor, in room 3062, which was not a renovated room (as I'm told), although the pics from the website depict similar furniture/furnishings so I'm not sure what a renovated room would add. I had requested for a renovated room but they wanted us to pay $20/night extra which wasn't a huge deal to me but I didn't see the need for it.

I had also requested for a crib but was unable to get one as they stated that their cribs are only for babies under 1, which is a little weird to me? Although the second hotel we stayed at in Tokyo (Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay) also stated the same thing but still offered us a crib that was full sized so I'm not sure why the restrictions.

The room was a good size (spacious for Tokyo standards, I'm told.) As we've only stayed at western brands in Tokyo (Westin, Sheraton) I can't really compare to other Japanese branded hotels. There is a small mini fridge which we made good use of, buying milk and other small drinks for my son. He enjoyed the view, watching the trains pull into/out of the station every day. The room was wonderfully soundproof as we couldn't hear any of the noises from ground level.

From our room, we could see Tokyo Tower and the SkyTree. There is free WiFi which we used often; they also offer Internet through your TV but we could never figure out how to get it to work as it always resetted itself but using our phones and iPads were perfectly fine.

This will be our go-to hotel for Tokyo going forward.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Annie L
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Not easy to find for first timer. For very standar room and service I think it's overpriced, you can have that kind of service with half price at hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku next door. The view of the city very good though.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2013

After our last hotel in Ginza the location which I vowed can't be beat, this hotel is located within minutes walk of 3 metro stations including Shinjuku. Not to mention at least 7-10 shopping malls surrounding the hotel including Tokyu Hands, Takashimaya, Isetan, Lumine, Odakyu. The food basements in Isetan and Odakyu are my favorite. If you want to shop, this is the place to be.

The hotel lobby is located on the 20th floor of the southern tower, and our room was on the 32nd floor with sweeping views over tokyo. By comparison to the last hotel this was at least 26sqm ( most hotels are between 12-16sqm) so it felt like an oversized room even though Asia hotel rooms are normally 35-55sqm, but this is Tokyo. Ours was a renovated room so modern muted colors was the theme but a well equipped room. No room service but you are surrounded by little eateries everywhere including two and a half floors of restaurants in Takashimaya.

Beds were comfortable, big deep bath and they also offer in room massage but we didn't have an opportunity to try it.

Service at reception was quick and efficient and we managed to check in an hour earlier, a bonus since hotels in tokyo are quite strict about the 3pm check in schedule.

If Ginza is posh, Shinjuku is more high street but both locations are central and easy to navigate around - perfect for couples like us who want to experience different parts if tokyo starting with the main hot spots.

We stayed for four comfortable nights, and the hotel has dinner pricing for guests who may want to dine at their Chinese or Japanese restaurants.

I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu

Been to Hotel Century Southern Tower? Share your experiences!