“Very well located hotel”

Hotel Century Southern Tower
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here for six nights in mid April 2013. The service was good and the location excellent - close to Shinjuku Station and Takashimaya department store, whose basement foodhall became a favourite destination! My only gripe is that, despite our travel agent having requested a non-smoking room, we were allocated a smoking room. When we walked in, I almost gagged, but by the end of six nights and several air fresheners later (courtesy of the hotel), we'd pretty much got rid of the smell.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the railway line. The activity below is pure entertainment!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Love the location. The king size bed is big and can fit 4 people. The view in all the rooms are great. Which ever side you are at, the view will always be nice.

There is free wifi and you can use the TV as your computer. There is a keyboard and mouse.
There is a vending machine in every floor that sells drinks and beer, too.

It's a short walk to the train station and to the big malls like Takashimaya and Tokyu Hands. If you walk out the Southern entrance, you will see Mcdonalds and Family Mart.

Staff is very nice and helpful. No bell service though. But it's alright, since there is a push cart in the ground floor where you can put all your bags and push it to your room.

The toilet seat is heated and part of the mirror does not fog up even if you use hot water to shower for a long time.

I will definitely use this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: all rooms are great
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Was there is 2005, 07 and now, 2013. The JR South Exit (which is nearest to the hotel ) is still under construction, so still a bit messy. But with the JR within 10 min walk, Takashimaya/Tokyo Hands/ Big Bookstore/Eddie Bower/Starbucks all around the hotel, I will still recommend this hotel . We stayed there for 3 nights on the 26/F. When we returned and stayed for another 2 nights after our side trip, we were put on the 34/F. Yes the other contributors are right. The floor is renovated, the shower is much, much better.

Room Tip: Ask for 34/F or higher.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Perfect location, a few minutes away from the Shinjuku train station. Spacious room and panoramic view of the Tokyo city. However, there seems to be some lacking in housekeeping. Hope the customer service in this aspect can be improved.

1  Thank 3yj
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Location can't be beat; easy access to metro, train line, shops, restaurants, etc. View from any of the rooms is incredible (hotel starts on the 20th floor of a commercial building).
BUT, our AC would shut off on its own - a problem in warm and muggy Tokyo. Repeated trips to the front desk did not resolve issue. Also, some minor concerns with housekeeping, such as room not being cleaned by late afternoon.
I would have rated hotel lower were it not for the great service at the restaurant.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am a frequent guest at Century Southern Tower and a great fan of the hotel - I always stay there everytime I travel to Tokyo, and I have also reccommended many of my friends to stay there as well - they have all loved it as much as I do. The location, for one, is unbeatable, and the hotel itself is very pleasant. I have never been disappointed with my choice to stay here and have always been an avid fan and supporter of the property. However, during my most recent stay there I experienced some letdowns, a first for me, and these incidences have left me disappointed and hoping that they were just isolated experiences which don't reflect on the overall service and cleaniness standards of the property as a whole. I stayed there recently for about a week and found 2 such incidences. On one day, we had left some leftover food items inthe dustbin - half eaten rice dishes/bento boxes, orange peels and finished water bottles. These were clearly meant to be disposed of as they were in the trashbin. However, after arriving back to my room in the evening, although the whole room had been cleaned, the trash had not been emptied and all the leftover food, etc since morning was still there, and had been sitting in the same place since morning! On another night, I was sorting through some of my clothes in the closet and picked up the hotel pajamas ( which are always provided for guests ) - on one of the pajamas there was a used bandaid still stuck to it! This bandaid was definitely left over from the previously user and I don't know if the hotel had washed the pajamas or not since the last guest used them, but regardless the bandaid was still very clearly stuck to it! Both these incidences made me rethink the cleaniness and service of the hotel's housekeeping dept and after these experiences I have to say my overall impression of the hotel has changed. Prior to this, I had never experienced anything to make me feel like the hotel was unclean, but both these experiences clearly showed something lacking in the cleaniness/housekeeping dept. I truly hope that these are merely isolated incidences and hope that the hotel's overall standards aren't dropping. It would be such a shame and I would hate to have to find another new "favourite" hotel in Tokyo!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nujie
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Other people have talked about how good the location of this hotel is but I want to
elaborate on it. It is not only near a train station but a major train station (Shinjuku,
not Shibuya). So for example the "Romancer Express" to Hakone goes straight
from the train station. No need to change trains or take a subway.

And across the street on the street level (not concourse level) are several subway
stations including the Oedo line which goes straight to Tsukiji Fish Market stop.
Also to stop with very interesting Edo-Tokyo Museum. The Japanese subway
numbers all its stops. So for example Oedo Shinjuku stop is E27. So easy to
check if going in right direction and how many stops to go. Have to make sure get out
at right exit for subway (or train). Subway exit is something like Mayles Tower (cannot
remember exactly but check when you enter).

Also, across a bridge on the concourse side is a big department store, Takashimaya, which has a basement level with take-out food and fruit like oranges which I had trouble tracking down
in Tokyo.

Plus, there is a Laundromat about a 15-20 minute walk away. Go out at street level and
turn right and walk until you come to a big street with Lumina Department store. Turn
left on that street and continue walking about 10 minutes until you come to the Bunka
Costume Institute (or some name like that). Past the Costume Institute is a big building, and opposite on your right will be a hotel with a name like Keio Presso. There is a laneway with
no name which is typical of Tokyo. Turn left down that laneway and after a couple of
minutes there will be a building on your left with the sign "Wash and Fold". It is open,
at least it was when I was there, from 10 am to 11 p.m. Can leave the laundry or do
it yourself. The soap is "inside the machine" so do not need it.

Plus, post office beside hotel. Who needs a post office you say? A number of ATMs do not
accept non-Japanese credit cards but the Post Office does and the ATMs are open for
a couple of hours after the Post Office itself closes. They post the hours. A City
Tourist office is also about 20 minutes walking distance, in the Metropolitan Government
Building. Good for maps and vouchers that give discounts off various museums, etc.

Overall in terms of location could not be better. The various sites in Tokyo are scattered
over the whole city so no one location is "central", but I thought for a tourist this was as
good as it gets. There are sites (e.g., lovely park) close by, but wherever you are in Tokyo
will have to travel somewhere else and easy to travel by train or subway. For the railway,
you want the Southern Terrace exit by the way, not the southern exit.

There were several restaurants of various types around the hotel.
On the concourse side (one above street level), on the way to the railway station (about
three minutes), there was a Starbucks. I usually avoid Starbucks but I really wanted
coffee and the other coffee places did not have coffee I liked.

I had a corner room (through a discounted price online). Was a very nice view (even with
a map showing the different buildings). I have no way of knowing if it was better than
the view from other rooms. I got the corner room not just for the view but for the extra space. At the time I was not sure if it was worth it because some of the space seemed wasted (big
pillar in room), but having seen other Japanese hotel rooms I now know it was big.

Someone asked about the trains. Even though I was on the 25th or 26th floor(East
side), if there was no other noise, I could hear the trains faintly. Amazing can hear it so high up.
I did not find it disturbing and the trains do not run all night. But I am mentioning it
just for people who might be very light sleepers.

They had a refrigerator in which I could put my own food
and drinks (which is what I want) and best of all the television could be turned into
a computer with Internet access. It did not work exactly as the instructions indicated,
but they quickly sent up someone who showed me how to work it. This was great
because not everyone pays roaming charges for an I-phone/pad, etc., So I could
look up the weather, check email, etc. Cannot download which is reasonable but
great to have Internet access.

The bathroom had one of those Japanese toilets which sprays water but also a heated
toilet seat which automatically deodorizes. Which not all Japanese toilets with the
spray facility have. They even gave free Mineral water (tap water in Japan is
drinkable so not necessary) and a free Herald International Tribune. I don't know
if that is for all rooms so just cause this was a corner double. The only toiletry
they did not have was hand or body cream though they did give me a small bottle
when I asked. But none of the Japanese hotels I stayed at had hand/body cream.

If something had to be fixed (e.g., sink tap gave lots of cold water but only a small
amount of hot), they fixed it quickly. Concierges were very helpful; some spoke
English better than others but if a communication problem, they got someone
who could speak English better. Very helpful in telling me how to get to
Imperial Palace which could only reach by combination of railway and subway
so not as obvious as most of the other places.

Plus because on Southern Terrace, if got lost, which is easy to do in
Tokyo, everyone knows where Southern Terrace is even if they do not know this hotel.

Hotel was very clear except did find a magazine under my bed (when looking
for something else). So obviously do not clean under the bed between guests.
That was only fault.

Room Tip: If noise from train might bother you and you are on East side (which some think has better view of...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Woman_in_Toronto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
#4 of 84 in Shinjuku
Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu

Been to Hotel Century Southern Tower? Share your experiences!