“Excellent Value”

Hotel Century Southern Tower
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed April 5, 2013

LOVED the location of this hotel. Very close to Shinjuku station which is the largest station in Japan (and the world?). This was our first time to Tokyo. Caught the Narita Express from Narita airport to Shinjuku Station. The Southern Terrace exit was literally a couple minutes from the hotel with signs guiding our way. Minutes away there were two major department stores. The pedestrian overpass led to MyLord which connects to Odakyu dept store. Top 3 floors of Odakyu had various restaurants, and the basement had many vendors selling bentos and AMAZING desserts, chocolates, and pastries. Also nearby was the Takashiyama department store building. Same set up - restaurants on top 3 floors, bentos and desserts in basement floor. The room was very clean, and very quiet even though we were situated near the elevators. We were wondering if the walls were sound-proofed. The beds were a bit firm for our taste, but I heard most beds in Japan can be very firm. The room size was typical of American hotels.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelwithKids17
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I wrote a review for this hotel last year, a really...really long review, but a very positive one. For my second review on TripAdvisor, I'm reviewing this same hotel! So, how was my second stay at Century Southern Tower? It was awesome!

For this year's Tokyo trip, I had a massive group of 6 people…well, massive for Tokyo, anyway. We were going to be staying in Tokyo for 10 days to see the sights and check out some cherry blossoms. With a 3-person maximum occupancy per room, my group was able to secure 2 Superior-Twin rooms. Each room came equipped with 3 twin-sized beds. To my surprise, the 3rd bed they added to each room was a real bed that even came with a headboard. I guess I’m just used to those dinky, foldable cots they give you at other hotels when you ask for an extra bed.

Upon entering the hotel from the promenade entrance, which is closer to the train station than the street entrance, my travel companions were in awe. They thought we were entering an office high-rise in the middle of Tokyo, not our actual hotel. When I told them the lobby was on the 20th floor, they were even more impressed. Then they saw the rooms and were quite pleased with how spacious they were, especially after seeing how cramped some Tokyo hotels were. And finally, I opened the curtains…they were simply mesmerized by the incredible view of the Tokyo skyline lit up at night. Oh, and in the morning, that same view from our windows allowed us to see Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden. We were able to watch the cherry blossoms bloom in the park from our hotel room. When it looked like enough had bloomed, we made the 15min walk to the park to see the sakura up close. Amazing.

Aside from that, everything is exactly the same as my first review: professional and helpful hotel staff, clean and comfortable rooms, cool Japanese toilet (hahaha!).

And the location…the location is fantastic, especially for people travelling in large groups that may need to split up. The train station is just outside your doorstep, several major department stores are 5-min walking distance, and you have a ton of eating options all around the hotel, some of which are open late. And I’m not just talking about McDonalds or Yoshinoya….they have some real, late-night restaurants nearby as well.

Oh wait, one more thing I’d like to add that wasn’t in my first review – getting the hotel to set up dinner reservations. Yes, the Century Southern Tower can help secure dinner reservations. With no contact email, all you’re left with is phone or fax to contact them about reservations. BUT, I found another way to get in touch – Facebook. Look for the Century Southern Tower official Facebook page, and send them a private message. I was able to get in touch with the staff to help secure dinner reservations. We were also able to secure dinner reservations after our arrival by talking to the staff at the front desk. They were very helpful and even got us a discount!

Okay, I think that should be enough to have helped you kill some time. If you made it this far down the review, I offer you the pro-tip below:

Pro-Tip: Check out the B1 floor (basement level) of the Takashimaya Times Square department store. It’s the big building across the bridge from the promenade of the hotel, you can’t miss it (it’s on the Takashimaya side, not the Odakyu Hands side). This area of the department store is called a ‘depachika’, where you’ll find all kinds of take-home foods and goodies. EVERYTHING is delicious. Trust me, with 6 people staying 10 days at the nearby hotel, we were able to sample all the food at this depachika. The store closes at 8pm, but since you can’t really eat in there anyway (it’s not a food court), it’s a great place to grab some food to take back to the hotel room for dinner. Now, if only the rooms came with a microwave to reheat your goodies.

Bonus Pro-Tip: If you’re looking for a place to eat your food from the Takashimaya depachika during the day, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden is about 10min walking distance from the store (200Y for entry) - great place for a picnic. If you don’t want to walk that far to enjoy your food, take the elevator to the 13th floor restaurant area. There is a viewing deck on this floor that offers a spectacular view of Tokyo. There are some benches for you to sit on, just be sure to properly dispose your trash (you should be able to find trash bins near the elevator).

Room Tip: We had the East View for both rooms, which was great for us since we wanted to see Shinjuku Gyoen an...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Akain
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The hotel is located in Shinjuku with Takashimaya just across which comes in very handy if you like to explore food market. Lots of discounted betos/breads half an hour prior closing.There are ample of restaurants located on levels 12, 13 and 14. There's a Uniqlo at one of the restaurant's level too. Yashinoya is just around the corner if you like a quick cheap Japanese breakfast (less than 600yen per person).

We had a Triple Superior Room which was very basic, clean and of good size. We weren't allow to check in early but they did store our baggage for us. There was a kettle and complimentary tea bags in the room but no coffee, sugar or creamer.

Didn't had trouble locating the Southern Terrace Exit at Shinjuku Station because we took Chuo line most of the time. When you get off the train (Chuo line), walk opposite direction of train until you see Southern Terrace exit. The escalator will leads you directly to Starbucks. Chuo line is faster and less crowded as compare to the Yamanote line.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The room is spacious, clean, and has a great view on the 24th floor. Walking distance to three gigantic malls - you can get whatever you need there, and Shinjuku Station which connects to many trains and subway, a very convenient hub. The staff is friendly and speaks good English. The housekeeping service is superb. Our experience was wonderful. We recommend staying here if it is your first time to Japan.

Room Tip: Ask about getting a corner room; it has a better view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank awaken_travelor
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was soooo happy when I found this hotel in Shinjuku the very first time. The hotel had direct limousine bus stops to and from both the Narita and Haneda airports. It is also only about 100 meters from the Shinjuku JR main station and close to all of the malls and busy-ness of Shinjuku. The rooms are big, and start from floor 10 (i think, I can't remember anymore) so you always have a great view of the Tokyo City from your room. The room is also modern, clean and have pretty luxurious finishes. Hands down, my favorite hotel in Shinjuku.

Room Tip: Find a room with the windows facing the JR Shinjuku station, best view of tokyo at night
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LauraThedy
Reviewed April 2, 2013

If you're looking for a luxurious Park Hyatt , St Regis or Aman resort experience where high thread count and butlers are the norm, this isn't the hotel for you. However, if you want a hotel with a great location (in Shinjuku), good service, clean, comfortable, great views (definitely consider the corner rooms) and a reasonable price, this may be the place for you. Hotel Century Southern Tower was recommended by a work colleague who grew up in Tokyo and I have to say it didn't disappoint.

There's a Citibank nearby for those of you who only bring their ATM card with as I do. Be aware that when you go to secondary cities like Kyoto, it may be really difficult to withdraw cash from ATMs since most of the banks are Japanese and don't have agreements with overseas firms. So having International companies as well as Japanese department stores servicing the Shinjuku area was extremely helpful. For instance, if you need an electric converter, all you have to do is walk 150 m to Tokyu Hands.

This hotel is a can't miss for first time travelers to Tokyo and I'd recommend it for regular business travelers as well who want the convenience of multiple shops nearby.

Room Tip: Get a corner room. The views are delightful.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank TK_Trip
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 2 nights with my 11-year old son. The rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. We had two carry-ons, two backpacks, and stayed in a two bed room on the 32nd floor. We had plenty of room for us and our stuff. If we had brought a giant suitcase it may have been awkward since there was nowhere to lay such a thing flat and still move around comfortably.

We found the housekeeping and staff to be friendly and eager to help. Everyone I interacted with spoke English very well which made interaction much easier for me.

We dined one night at Tribeks, one of three restaurants in the hotel. The food and service was good. Most of the diners were Japanese and dressed-up for the evening, but we were made to feel welcome and comfortable in our jeans and t-shirts.

The hotel is a 3 minute walk from the Shinjuku JR station, but be sure you exit at the southern terrace exit. If you exit the station at the wrong place you may have a 15 minute walk to get back to the right place, which happened to us once.

There are a LOT of places to eat in the area, everything from fine dining to tiny ramen places and even crispy cream doughnuts. Likewise, many department stores and shops within 5 minutes walk. There's also a nice park 10 minutes away to the southwest that charges 200yen for adults and 50yen for children which we really enjoyed.

I'd definitely go back and would recommend this hotel for convenience, location and comfort.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Brianjazar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
#4 of 84 in Shinjuku
Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu

Been to Hotel Century Southern Tower? Share your experiences!