“Attentive service but a little corporate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel

Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Wellington, New Zealand
“Attentive service but a little corporate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Cerulean at the recommendation of a work colleague and if we hadn't stayed at the Hotel ICON in Hong Kong only a few weeks earlier then my review may have been very different. We booked a room on the executive 'Cerulean' floor which included breakfast and access to the lounge. I would recommend this as it is nice to have the extra facilities inclusive. The service was excellent and the staff were very attentive and polite. The room was clean and I believe large by Tokyo standards but for me was a similar size to a standard hotel room in other major cities around the world. The bathroom and shower were excellent and the whole hotel was spotlessly clean. As I mentioned, the let down for me was comparing similar facilities between the ICON and Cerulean but the ICON just managed to go one step beyond in terms of service of what the Cerulean offered. Both had breakfast included but the ICONs spread was a buffet and also full service and was a much larger selection rather than a small buffet. They both offered afternoon tea but again it was full service at the ICON rather than serve yourself at Cerulean etc etc. I don't want to keep comparing in this review as what is on offer at Cerulean is excellent but for me I only recently had better in Hong Kong.

The bed was very comfortable and of course the location of the hotel is superb right in the middle of things. If you wish to travel by public transport the station is only a short walk away but as with all Japanese service, the hotel are most efficient at organising a taxi should you prefer.

All in all I would recommend the Cerulean but just be aware that other than attentive staff you are getting quite a bland corporate 5 star hotel rather than a hotel with huge amounts of character or a hotel that really does go above and beyond.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I just spent a week at the Cerulean Tower and was very impressed with the stay. The location can't be beat (3min walk to Shibuya Station) and the views are fantastic. There are multiple restaurants in the hotel and an amazing bar on the top floor. The gym equipment could be updated but there was never anyone else in there when I went to work out. The pool and jacuzzi are enormous and were also empty when I visited. My bathroom wasn't very large but I did like the size of the rest of the room, especially the walk in closet. They also provide a variety of pillow types so you can mix and match to your liking. The breakfast buffet was nice ($33USD) and as a westerner I appreciated their inclusion of french toast, pancakes, & fresh squeezed OJ. There is also a convenient 7-11 practically within the hotel lobby. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I can only assume all the rooms have great views. I was on the 39th floor and kept my windows open...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Whenever we go to Japan, this is the place to stay for the service of course we are in Japon...!
Magnificient view from the roof top bar over Tokyo. Very well located next to train and subway station.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Tatousoso
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights in a Sky View room after a trip from Kyoto. We cannot help but compare the 5 star hotel we stayed in Kyoto with this hotel. They had the same price but seems like Cerulean lacks everywhere. They have a lot of staff from assisting the traffic because of the complicated entrance to just standing in the lobby. Also, no one even cared to help us carry our heavy baggage when we checked out. Location was technically near to Shibuya station but you have to walk a lot because of the overpass. If I were to stay in Tokyo, I'll choose Shinjuku for better shopping. Toiletries were cheap quality, room design was old but the size was big.

There are tons of hotels in Tokyo, look around to get a better deal with quality and value.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank dms518
Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed several nights at the hotel and had an excellent experience with my family. Three minute walk to shibuya station and the rest of the shibuya district. Service was exceptional! I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for convenience and comfort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MichellePhilippines
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Not frequent traveller to Tokoyo so don't know what the standard practice or how this hotel compares to others but in general we were not impressed. For hotel guests there are additional charges for anything and everything including room wi-fi, gym use, local calls, child playroom, even to just sit in the bar ++. Also, if we heard them correctly they also do not allow children under the age of 20 in the Japanese restaurant. We were travelling with two small kids so nearby amenities was important but when you ask for restaurant recommendations in walking distance they whip out pre-made directions to touristy places which were not the easiest to get to with huge lines basically in shopping malls if you mange to find them (I assume the have a deal with the restaurants). The second day we found loads of good restaurants which were basically just down the street (more localized, better tasting, less lines). We decided to transfer to the Disneyland Hotel and when asked about a car transfer they quoted us about $250 saying there was a taxi shortage due to a soccer game in Yokohama! I assume they only called the places they had deals with where they could overcharge you again. Not getting much help I called Hotel Disneyland myself and they sent a 9 person van for half the price so much for the shortage of local transport. Ironically we had a much better experience at the much more touristy Disneyland Hotel in Tokyo - well at least they didn't nickel and dime us to death and directed us our queries appropriately. The two stars are basically for the central location and the reasonably sized rooms but I would not recommend this place especially if you have other options especially for families.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank aeternam
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is it's big and very spacious room for japan standard. Other than that it is an average hotel. Staff were friendly, and somewhat helpful. The hotel is clean and well taken care of.

Looking for the hotel was quite difficult. No clear sign from shibuya station. The location is about 10 mins walk from shibuya centre. Lots of shops and restaurants, even during the night time.

No free wifi for my standard floor room, only available for executive floors. Quite a disappointment, considering free wifi is available at most of hotel nowadays.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple