“Does what it says on the tin - no more, no less”

Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was pre-warned that otto was not know for boutique hotels - that it was a choice of basic and functional or corporate with an american vibe. I decided I wanted some extra comforts - a pool and sauna, a choice of restaurants and wifi in the rooms.

The hotel provided exactly what was offered but with so little personality that I was left quite cold. Everything had a transactional feel, no warmth from the staff - they would do exactly as stated, but give no more, no less and certainly no personality. As a first time visitor to Tokyo I was beyond excited and had hoped for some great local tips and insider knowledge from the staff at the hotel but was met with a brick wall - and Im a pretty friendly easy going person so was most disappointed.

Standards were great - cleanliness was great - staff were a let down.

Room Tip: the higher you do - the better the view!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on business for 5 nights after traveling across Japan. The reception staff were very welcoming and efficient. The lobby is a large public space and has a vibrant feel due to café and meeting area etc.

My room was on the 22nd floor and it was extremely comfortable. The view was amazing looking over the park and Tokyo tower! I slept very well and found the bed extremely comfortable. The bathroom was great too...the usual Japanesfacilitieses - electric toilet, heated mirror etc.

The breakfast was very good, I especially liked the chef cooking omlettes to customers requests! He had a great manner and sense of humor...great start to the day.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2012

3rd stay, and it is still excellent! Even better than before... they learned that this was our 3rd stay, so they upgraded us to a bigger room on a higher level. I traveled with my husband, 9 yo and 2 yo, and the room was spacious enough to accomodate everybody. I always love the bathroom.

This time around, we had the "western" breakfast buffet on the lobby level and it was very good. They didnt have the most variety of items but I liked my omelette and coffee a lot. Fresh OJ squeezed on the spot, and seriously... I had the best waffle, ever.

one thing I wish they did though is to open the pool to everybody including children, but oh well... i'd still go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I always stay in Cerulean Tower . It's nice , clean and the most important part for me it's located in the heart of the City. Since my business areas are Harajuku , Shibuya , Daikanyama , Ginza , it's very easy to reach these places from Hotel by Subway or Taxi.

Room Tip: Check the web sites like expedia or booking.com for special offers. If you have a room floor 33-38...
2  Thank Ebozden
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the Cerulean Tower Hotel for one night. We stayed on the 30th floor and the view was just stunning. The hotel is a only about 5 minutes from the Shibuya station, 5 minutes from the Tokyu department store and there is a Lawson just downstairs. The location is great.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Cerulean Tower hotel for three nights. It was mostly okay -- but I had spent the first three nights of my trip at the Capitol Hotel Tokyu which was 5 stars all the way. The Cerulean is definitely not in the same class as the Capitol Hotel Tokyu.

Pros:
* Location. In the lively Shibuya neighborhood. Close to subway (Shibuya station), shopping, and restaurants.
* Hotel has an attractive lobby and a bar with a great view on the 40th floor.
* My room was very clean.
* My room on the 30th floor had a great view.
* The staff was very friendly overall.

Cons:
* My room was outdated. Definitely no granite bathroom. Plain walls, very simple room.
* The AC minimum is locked at 68 degrees in my room.
* The only experience I had with a rude person in 6 days in Japan happened at the 40th floor bar at this hotel. The host wanted to seat us at the same two seats at the bar for the third night in a row. We asked to sit farther down. He looked and said "No seats" despite that there were two other sets of 2 seats. We asked the bartender if we could move and he said of course. The host gave us a dirty look.
* Sometimes I had a faint smell of cigarette smoke in my non-smoking room.
* They charge you $12/day for wifi. Ripoff!
* The pillows on the bed are rock hard.
* There are no outlets next to the bed to plug in devices.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank 81FrequentT81
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently stayed here on a business trip and it was a very nice stay. I expected the room to be tiny - but it was comparable to a typical American hotel. Next time, I would select the deal that included breakfast and access to the gym. The hotel breakfast was DELICIOUS! Both the continental buffet and the traditional Japanese breakfast. However, it cost 3003 Yen. And the gym is only accessible without a fee from 6am-7am. But it has a nice selection of equipment, a pool, and a sauna. The hotel is walking distance to many great shops and restaurants. It is also very close to the train station. I highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
#4 of 83 in Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
#7 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel? Share your experiences!