“Great location, helpful concierge, nice perks”

Dormy inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently returned from a nine-night stay in Tokyo. Dormy Inn was our home base. To start, the location—sandwiched between Harajuku and Shibuya, and accessible via three subway stations and eight lines—was ideal. It's a bit of a hike (10- to 15-minute walk) to the Shibuya station, which is the one we used most often, but it's located just off a thoroughfare with plenty of interesting stores. For U.S. travelers hoping to use their debit card to withdraw money at ATMs, there's a 7-Eleven about ten minutes from the hotel.

The rooms, though tiny (aren't they all in Japan?), were clean and well-kept. The shower was hot and the water pressure good, and the bed super-comfy. There are complimentary bike rentals and a spa on the second floor, though we didn't use either. There's also a free breakfast each morning—exciting at first because there's so much to eat, but tiresome after a few days since they don't really mix up the menu.

The concierge speaks fine English and was super helpful, printing out maps, answering all of our questions, making recommendations, and so forth.

I'd highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in or near the Shibuya area (a great neighborhood, btw—colorful and full of lively bars and restaurants).

5  Thank gadfly123

Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has a very good location in Shibuya which is near to both bara and shopping and the Narita express stops here as well. As always rooms are very small and our double bed was almost a single one, but the rooms are new, well kept and generally good value. Breakfast is included (served as a semi buffet, where soup and warm sandwich is served on tray and a small selection of sallad, sandwich, yogurts, breads and muesli is offered buffet style) and there is a complimentary noodle soup each evening in the restaurant. There are 24 hours spa facilities and free wifi in the entire hotel.

In my opinion a perfect hotel if you anyway plan to spend most of your time outside the hotel, but if you will spend much time on your room, you should probably go for something w more spacious rooms.

For those very sensitive to noise, note that there are train tracks outside and ask for a room not facing the tracks. That said, our room was facing the tracks and we were never bothered.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Bjorn_in_Stockholm
Reviewed October 9, 2012

2nd Dormy Inn I've stayed in in Japan. Like most chains they are fairly identical but travelodge and Premier Inn could learn a thing or two from these guys. Sure, the rooms are fairly small but they are so well equipped it doesn't matter. Loads of toiletries, free Internet, fridge, big widescreen TV, really comfortable bed, free onsen ( spa), free ramen (noodles) in the evening, vending machines for drinks and beer etc, I could go on. Has really been a pleasure staying in these hotels, highly recommended.

Room Tip: I think they are all the same
5  Thank NPUk
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay at dormy inn, great location, smart, clean and comfortable with a few extras that make this place a real winner!!

Relatively easy to find from Shibuya main station, it`s located in a perfect place between Harajuka and shibuya. Night life, shopping and restaurants are all in short walking distances!

The hotel is very welcoming with friendly staff, we arrived at around 11am and although check in is not until 3pm the concierge called up and made our room a priority (we were in the room by 12).

Breakfast is pretty decent with a big selection to choose from. The hotel also provides a nightly Soba noodles snack which is welcomed if you are feeling peckish before bed time. Coffee is also freely available all day.

The hotel has a great relaxing Onsen which is free to use - highly recommend using this to help with the de-stress of travelling/jet-lag.

Additionals such as pc@s to utilise, wifi, vending machines & microwaves are all available. Plus you can hire Cycles to view the local area if you are feeling energetic!

The rooms are a little small but very comfortable and cleaned daily!

I`ll be returning to dormy inn next time i am in tokyo!

4  Thank Mattchu
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A great location half way in between Shibuya & Harajuku. Could be a bit hard to locate for first time Tokyo visitors so make sure to double check your map beforehand.
The Onsen & Sauna are fantastic, a great way to unwind after a big day of walking around the city. Both wifi & ethernet access in the rooms at a decent speed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank DiscoNinja
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We Stayed at Dormy Inn for five nights in early September. We flew into Haneda airport late at night ( after the last bus and train) and caught a taxi to the hotel, I think it cost close to $100, which is a lot considering we were only in the taxi for 20 mins but we were exhausted after traveling for two days so didn't really care!

The hotel is hard to find as it's located in an alleyway, and I recommend that you have the address of the hotel on paper so the taxi driver can put it in his GPS. Taxis were lovely and clean and you don't have to worry about getting scammed like in other parts of Asia! The doors in the back of the taxi open automatically, pretty amazing!

We arrived very early in the morning and I was a bit worried about the reception not being open. I had emailed them and they didn't reply so I was a tad worried as I had heard a lot of smaller hotels close around midnight. However everything at check-in ran smoothly and the staff were friendly.

The room was tiny! And I had a little chuckle when I first saw it, I had heard that Japanese hotel rooms were small but I didn't really understand how small! The room was very clean and tidy. It was small but still had all the amenities that we needed, and after a while I started thinking that we didn't really need anymore space! The room was like a cabin on a boat, that sort of size. The bed was small but my partner, being 6ft4 was still able to sleep comfortably. We could still hear the train passing but that stopped around midnight and then after that everything was silent. The rooms looked like they had been recently renovated.

Breakfast was ok, I liked the soups and there was fresh fruit, juices and bakery items to choose from. There was also free noodles to have at night time which was a nice gesture.

The hotel is located between Shibuya and Harajaku and both stations are within walking distance, about 10-15 mins walk to both, in the opposite direction. I recommend that you bring along good walking shoes because although the stations make everything close, you still walk and walk! Our legs/ feet were exhausted every night!

The staff were polite and spoke good English, some better than others, but we were always able to communicate our messages. Our stay wasn't as personal as other small hotel stays. They never really asked us where we had been that day, or suggested places to visit.. However they would greet you upon arriving and were polite and smiley. Maybe that is just part of the Japanese culture being quiet and shy???

There is a family mart across the road so that was good to get snacks and other items.

I would recommend this hotel to others, it's very clean, polite staff and good location. I think next time I visit Tokyo I would want to stay right next to a station, I was shopping like crazy so my legs and feet were so sore so I would definitely want to cut out the walk to the station!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AlbyGee
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed in this very pleasant hotel for four nights at the start of a much longer trip around Japan. Rooms are relatively small (which is common in Tokyo) but well fitted out, clean and with good showers etc. The hotel spa is a nice addition, which I ended up using a fair bit.

I found the location excellent. It is mid way between Shibuya and Harajuku stations making it an ideal location to explore both areas or jump on a train to somehwere else. Note that it is a bit tricky to find at first so bring a print out of the location or the address in Japanese to show to the taxi driver as this will save you a bit of hassle.

Staff speak limited English but I did notice they have a concierge that speaks good English and is very helpful. Breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple