“One of the best Ramen place in Tokyo”
Review of Ichiran, Shibuya

Ichiran, Shibuya
Ranked #11 of 8,226 Restaurants in Shibuya
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Ichiran is one of the best ramen places you will find in Tokyo. It's a chain so you can probably find one near you if you don't stay around Shibuya. Don't bother with the more touristy ramen place right in the middle of the Shibuya shopping street.

The place is small, seats about 16, 8 in each row. You will buy the tickets via vending machines, take a seat when the light indicate vacancy. You can choose more robust soup (recommended) or more spring onion (not so for me as I am not a fan). Each booth is like small library seat, with a small divider giving you some privacy. You can hang your coat behind on the hook. Right in front is a small cloth curtain, behind which, the staff will be cooking and serving you shortly.

The soup is very robust and taste great.. There's a few other ramen places that you may want to check out : My favourite is Jangara Ramen at Harajuku (opp the JR Station, small place at the corner of the traffic junction), Ippudo (personally I think Jangara is better) at Shibuya (Ebisu area), it's in between Shibuya and Ebisu if you walk. Nearer to the Ebisu station.

1  Thank Leslie T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I like to try local places but we usually check these on the Internet first! This place has got great reviews and I'm so happy to recommend it. It is not easy to find. It is located near Shibuya crossing. To get there, go right when you face the Starbucks in Sibuya crossing. On the next crossing, there is a little stair on the right hand side that takes you down to the restaurant. People there were very friendly even thought they don't speak great English. You have to order your dinner (ramen only) from a vending machine which was great fun for us. You then have to fill up a sheet of paper to say how you like your ramen (do you want your noodle firm/soft, sauce strong, medium/weak, green onion thin/thick...). You then go to the waiting room and wait for a customer to leave.

You are then taken into the restaurant which is made of several individual compartments where you just wait for your ramen to be served.

We absolutely loved it! We also took our 4 month old baby. The ramen was delicious! We would advise not to bring your buggy because there is not much space but we had it with us the first time and it was fine.

Great place!

1  Thank Charly C
Reviewed October 30, 2012

After seeing that this was rated #1 on TripAdvisor we set out for some good ramen. It took an hour and a half of complete wandering to find this place; asking about 15 locals...the only way we found it was having someone literally walk us there. FYI, there is no English on the signs to this place and it is below city street level.

I am definitely not a ramen connoisseur so I can't really review on that, but as a super white person I can rate that I really enjoyed it. It had a very authentic japanese feel which I loved. I would recommend this place for some great ramen...good luck finding it though ;)

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Dodging the rain, my gf and I decided to get some ramen and warm up. It was the first time I'd used the ticket machine so that took a second to figure out. Thankfully they have the menu cards in English because there are a few choices to be made. The ramen was rich, warm and just what I needed. It's definitely a different way of ordering and was fun. It's my brothers favorite place for ramen and I had no idea it was ranked so high on tripadvisor.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

i was new to the experience you would get at this joint. this is actually a chain, but a damn good one. most chains in Japan are top notch in my opinion. this is the kind of "underground" and "hidden" spot you would think that Tokyo is full of (to a westerner), but this is actually a touristy chain joint right in middle of an avenue in Shibuya. the vending machine to order your food might confuse at first but it's really not that serious. take your time and it's a breeze. get your ticket and get seated at your own private booth to slurp that goodie down. you won't find an atmosphere like this elsewhere. it's a fun and GOOD joint. i keep coming back to this place no matter how many other crazy ramen spots i hit up. do it.