“Michelin star teppenyaki experience”
Review of Omotesando Ukaitei

Omotesando Ukaitei
Ranked #11 of 8,343 Restaurants in Shibuya
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My wife and I visited Ukai on the last night of a short holiday in Japan. I chose Ukai as it is a Michelin starred teppenyaki and I thought that I'd be unlikely to find a Michelin starred teppenyaki outside Japan.

We chose the a la carte options rather than the tasting menu because the previous night had been kaiseki and therefore we wanted something simpler rather than lots of courses. We also didn't see much point in having lots of non teppenyaki courses in a teppenyaki restaurant. We chose a sole, an abalone and two beef options. Against my better judgement my wife selected the most expensive steak on the menu. This was somewhat out of character as it is usual me that wants to blow out on food and she holds me back. However I think, on this occasion, she wasn't looking at the price list.

The food was well prepared but was very heavily salted. I was fine with this but my wife found it too much. As it turned out she also regretted her choice of steak. The expensive steak was really marbled and rich and she found it too rich. Even the cheaper steak was more heavily marbled than the best Kobe beef I had previously eaten (however apparently the Ukai beef was not actually Kobe).

The service was very pleasant. Our French waiter was very chatty and helpful. The ambiance was good with a great view over Tokyo.

The bill turned out to be our most expensive meal of the holiday at 60,000 yen for 2 (of which only about 4,000 was for alcohol). Whilst the Michelin starred teppenyaki was a novel idea I'm not sure I would do it again. It reminded me of a Michelin starred Indian restaurant experience in London. Some cuisines just don't really lend themselves well to Michelin starring. However, I'm glad we tried it once.

1  Thank samwardill

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Amazing service level
Amazing food quality and taste
Great choice of wine and liquor
Dessert is amazing too.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

From the moment you step into this place, you know you are up to something special. The food here can only be described as AMAZING. I am a true lover of Japanese cuisine, but this place immediately jumps to my top three. I had never tasted meat so tender and juicy. The prawns were unreal, and the staff is highly attentive of any need you may have. This place is simple perfect. Every detail has been considered and carefully thought upon. If you can afford this place, it is a must, at least once in a lifetime.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

tried their lunch menu set even though we were upset they dont have tajima beef but they still served the best beef. The chef was nice and talkative. Overall if I go to Tokyo again, I will definitely come back there.

1  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed February 28, 2014

During our stay in Tokyo, we were invited in this restaurant, real kaiseki restaurant close to the Tokyo tower.
As well as the same restaurant at Hachioji, the service, the quality of the cuisine and the Japanese garden are top.
Personally, I prefer the restaurant Blanc - Rouge at the new Tokyo Station hotel, more fusion cuisine. But for those looking for kaiseki cuisine, no hesitation!

1  Thank myginza