“Great View, Great Value!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gonpachi Shibuya

Gonpachi Shibuya
Ranked #51 of 7,493 Restaurants in Shibuya
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
“Great View, Great Value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My Tokyo friend booked a private room at the restaurant, located on the 14th floor in the Dogenzaka area of Shibuya. We had magnificent views of the city which was a pleasant surprise. The menu is like an expanded izakaya one with various types of dishes. Our group of 11 + 2 kids shared everything (family style) so we were able to taste many of the dishes. We tried everything from the zaru tofu (deliciously creamy), edamame, pickles, yukke (avocado & blue fin tartare), dashimaki omelet, classic Caesar salad, a variety of skewers (the toro one is excellent), soba, rice and a sampling of all the desserts. Everything was priced reasonably and after 6 or more bottles of wine, beer, sake, the total for each adult was only 5500yen, a true bargain!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank kqsaipan

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Tasty meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to Gonpachi with some friends earlier this week and had a good meal. The ambiance was cool and the scene was buzzing. The open kitchen plan means that you get to watch the chefs preparing your food from afar. We all ordered the mojito cocktail which had sake in it - delicious! My boyfriend and I also tried the plum wine which is a traditional Japanese wine - a bit sweeter than a normal wine and is served over ice. We would order both drinks again. The food was good, not exceptional. We liked the rice dishes which were our main courses, but the kushiyaki (skewers) weren't as tasty as we had expected. Some of the meat ones were really fatty. The asparagus and mushroom ones were divine, however. You have to pay by the skewer so the bill got steep quickly. We ended up paying a bit more than I would have liked for the quality of food.

• Visited August 2012
Perth, Australia
“This place was the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Loved the traditional building and unique layout. Very casual, but loved the atmosphere. It was really buzzing, a very vibrant place and somewhere you would want to take a group of friends. Some Japanese colleagues took us here and ordered a vast array of different foods we had never eaten. Everything we tasted was fantastic, but I was particularly taken with the seared tuna. A fabulous place to go and extremely memorable. I would so LOVE to go again!

• Visited November 2011
Mountain View, California
“Excellent Japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Had a Japanese coworker take me here for dinner. Sits up on the 14th or 15th floor of a building. It was a great experience! Excellent company with the coworker, traditional Japanese layout, terrific food that did not taste overly complicated, just very flavorful, and prompt refilling of the Kirin is always appreciated.

I would definitely recommend it and would absolutely return if there weren't so many other places to try in Tokyo. :)

Visited May 2012
1 Thank SDBryan
Tokyo
“Their sushi section is better than their kushiaki section”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I frequent Gonpachi's sushi restaurant with my boyfriend on quite a regular basis - say twice a month - and am always happy with the service they offer.

I love sushi and sashimi but am a little picky with some things. However, they always remember the way I like my sashimi and are more than accommodating when I ask them to alter the sushi for me.

I've been to their kushiaki section three times and always felt it too busy and less personal so I suggest sticking with their sushi counter.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Gonpachi Shibuya? Share your experiences!