“A good and real Bistro in Tokyo”
Review of Benoit

Benoit
Ranked #45 of 8,386 Restaurants in Shibuya
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Benoit located on the 10th Floor of a commercial building named La Port alongside the UN University on Aoyama Dori of Tokyo is a real French style bistro produced by Alain Ducasse. With my wife I arrived there at 18:30 as reserved. Getting out of the lift we found a small entrance lined up with a couple of chairs for waiting to be attended. A notice said, “ Please wait here until you are attended ”. So we waited there for a few minutes but nobody came. So I stepped inside and shouted. “ Excuse me “ or rather in Japanese “ Sumimasen “. Then a waiter-like man came and guided us to upstairs where most of a good number of tables have been occupied. There it was a bit noisy but presented good atmosphere as a bistro. Waiters were moving around fast but each knew what he should do exactly like in a busy French bistro. We found our daughter and her husband who had already been sitting and as soon as we sat and even before we greeted each other a waiter came with menu and a basket of bread loaf and rapidly explained what are available with 3 menu dinners or a la carte. We chose a middle sized ( or priced ) menu by which one could choose two dishes from the first course and one from second apart from chef’s compliment and desert and coffee or tea. The wine list was not given until I asked for it. We, except my wife as usual, had a glass each of Cremant Bourdeaux with which we studied the menu very carefully. Girls decided to have salad with foie gras first which surprised us all because of its quantity. One plate looked enough for 4 persons particularly as it had to be followed by two more dishes. Boys started with pate which was too big a slice as a starter particularly as I had to have a kind of pasta before the main sea food dish. Japanese beef rump steak my wife chose with an extra charge weighted 200 g had to be left unfinished even with my help. As quantity was so excessive I would recommend to go for the smaller menu or a la carte. The taste of food was not particularly good though, I would say, reaching the level of a good bistro in France. I should not forget to mention that the loaf of bread was really good with the taste not usually obtainable in Japan. It reminded me of one I had tasted so good of Bigot in Ashiya a long time before. A bottle of Sancerres that was on the list of Restaurant Selection and I chose was really excellent in all respects, i.e.,in grass and mouth and finish. I have never tasted such a beautiful Sancerres before. Its name is La Burgeoies 2010. Pomerol Mannier de Gay 2007 selected from the normal list at a higher price was not exciting at all. Overall this restaurant provides lively atmosphere, good and efficient services and good quantity of foods. So I would certainly revisit it but, of course, for a la carte dinner without lunch immediately before.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I would like to have a famous Mille-feuille by Alain ducasse thus i easily reserved table via restaurant website, this restaurant on topfloor of Le port Aoyama with easily access by using Ginza subway line ; Omentosando station exit B2.

Previously I had a memorable lunch at Beige when I came here many thing that 180 degree experience such as service is so casual and friendly , no mandatory menu selection, very quick served dish, delicious vegetable cook especially sour salad cabbage. However, Food is not delicate and delicious as Beige.

Thus if you want so casual noisy dinner with friends in full famous bistro. Here was very good choice.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Sister restaurant of Beige from Ducasse - I find the more relaxed atmosphere actually more enjoyable.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Benoit is one of those 'only in Tokyo' kind of places. It's a very French, very smart bistrot, run by the Alain Ducasse restaurant group, and it combines the best of French bistrot cooking with the Japanese fanaticism (meant in a good way) for quality, knowledgeable service, and taste.

Although located on the very chic Aoyama-dori in the very chic Omotesando/Aoyama area, and an obvious darling of the ladies who lunch/do dinner, Benoit manages to avoid being too twinkly or feminine, serving some very hearty meat and duck dishes and appropriately sturdy wines.

The course meals are within reason and a good deal.

3  Thank senorburrito
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Run by Alain Ducasse, one of the genii of modern French cuisine, this restaurant offers diners a mix of great atmosphere, delicious food and attentive service. Consider it a great choice for the celebration of special occasions.

The place, decorated nicely in classic European style, is divided into 2 stories. The lower level included the reception and bar area for diners to enjoy a drink or two while waiting for their tables to be ready. Up the staircase to the upper level, it is where the dining room is situated.

We ordered the escargot and spider crab to start, followed by the baked lobster in lobster bisque and grilled black pork belly as our main courses.

Overall we liked our main courses a bit more than the appetizers though they were also very good. The pork belly had a very nice texture and was done to perfection. The lobster not outdone by the thick lobster sauce was probably the best dish out of the four.

Needless to say, we will definitely come back.