“Great atmosphere!”

Ranked #16 of 9,622 Restaurants in Shibuya
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Such a cool place! Great and chilled atmosphere, delicious food (you should try the set menu), and of course sake. Close to the station, and the area is really cozy and not too crowded. Book in advance though, it’s a really popular place!

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed June 9, 2019

Kaikaya by the Sea is, hands down, one of my favorite restaurants in Tokyo. It's got a fantastic location (walking distance from Shibuya station), a phenomenal atmosphere (very welcoming to foreigners), and incredible food.

The food is incredibly fresh, well-prepared, and delicious. As an izakaya, Kaikaya offers a very distinct aesthetic and experience from the more formal (and a little stuffy) sit-down places in Tokyo.

Lunch and dinner are both great, although the lunch menu is significantly smaller. You really can't go wrong here, and I make sure to swing by Kaikaya whenever I'm in Tokyo.

Reviewed June 7, 2019 via mobile

A shopkeeper put us on to this place when we asked for a local’s recommendation for a seafood izakaya. We got there about 8.30 and were told if we didn’t have a booking there would be quite a wait. We could see the energy inside, and saw the fish pumping from the kitchen, so knew it would be worth it. Luckily about 20 mins later some people left and we were squeezed on to a communal table in the pumping original restaurant. So much energy and noise in there! We took the stress out of ordering and went with the 10 course banquet... (5,800 yen per person) ... it was well worth it! The sashimi was to die for, the bbq prawns were full of flavour, carpaccio melted in our mouths, tuna ribs were so meaty, whole fried fish amazing, teriyaki chicken...I can’t even remember what else. And finished it off with cherry blossom ice cream- incredible. And the kagiya sake (#6) was smooth paired perfectly.
Make a booking if you can, but if not it is still worth the wait.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 3, 2019

As a coeliac, it can be tricky to eat in Japan. Soy sauce seems to be in everything, and there is very little understanding of both coeliac disease and cross contamination. This restaurant understood what coeliac disease is and how to cater for those requiring gluten-free food (once I showed them my Japanese dietary requirement card) and were very helpful showing me what I could eat on the menu. I would recommend the grilled fish and the sashimi as both were delicious. The portions are larger than suggested (they suggested 2-3 dishes per person) we had sashimi for 4 people and then a dish each and were absolutely stuffed, so be wary of over ordering. Also, be sure to book in advance, this place was rammed and if you don't book a table you don't have a hope in hell of getting in.

Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

The place was recommended for us from a friend.We had an excellent dinner (we both ate grilled fish as main course and excellent crab rolls as starter).Highly recommend the place.It is a bit noisy(on purpose I think ,they like to make noise), but worths it.And for me (no fun of sushi) an excellent place to taste Japanese cuisine!

Date of visit: May 2019

Been to Kaikaya? Share your experiences!