“My favorite club in Tokyo”
Review of The Room

The Room
Ranked #8 of 42 Nightlife in Shibuya
More attraction details
Owner description: The Room is a small nightclub/bar located within the Shibuya district of Tokyo, what has an occupancy of about 100 people. It first opened in 1992, and has been produced by Shuya Okino - one half of the DJ unit called "Kyoto Jazz Massive". You can find CLUB JAZZ / CROSS OVER / HOUSE / DISCO / BOOGIE / FUNK / SOUL / LATIN and many more genres, played by skilled DJs. In addition, on weekdays top class domestic musicians are providing incredibly entertaining live sessions, what you shouldn't miss! The bar has a great variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Our skilled bartenders are able to mix original cocktails as well to satisfy your expectations. The Room is also known as a spot of creative artists. In the past few years we came up with the concept of"TAMARIBA" (Creative Gathering Place). Because of that, you can easily meet up with local and international DJs, musicians, designers, photographers, architects! We are looking forward to meeting you and having an unforgettable night together!
tokyo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My favorite club in Tokyo”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

The Room club in Tokyo is the club that I go back to again and again.
I first visited The Room with a Japanese friend who'd wanted to go for years (the club's been there for seventeen) but never been able to find it.

Not the easiest to find, hidden away in a basement of a non-descript building in Shibuya, I think it's well worth the hunt. Helpfully I've now found a map in English on the web page.

Once inside you can see why it's called The Room, it's basically one room split in two for a bar and dancefloor.

But the music and atmosphere makes up for what it lacks in size. The times I've been the music has been a mix of jazz/crossover and house and the dancefloor has always been full. Along with the resident DJs I've seen quite a few well known DJs from the UK and Europe like Jazzanova and Bugs in the Attic.

I love The Room because it's friendly and unpretentious (not always the case in Tokyo), there's no VIP room so you can chat with the DJs and the staff have always tried to speak English to me with a smile.
I recommend The Room to anyone who wants a great night out off the tourist track and to find out what's going on away from the mainstream music scene in Tokyo.

4 Thank chewyTokyo