“Great location, comfortable place to stay(but room is tiny!!!)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sakura Hotel Hatagaya

Sakura Hotel Hatagaya
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Cairns
“Great location, comfortable place to stay(but room is tiny!!!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

I typed 'cheap hotel tokyo' and this hotel came up on Google. I went on Japanese discount hotel website but this hotel was actually cheaper than any other ! The photo looks pretty okay and 350yen breakfast seemed great as well.

It was my first time staying at the 'Business hotel' in Japan. I heard about how small and simple the normal 'business hotel' are, so I was a bit worried...
Arrived at Tokyo station by 'Sinkansen'. Changed the train to 'Chuo- sen'(I'm Japanese but I was already lost there..), went to Shinjyuku, had to change the train there to 'Keio-sin sen', which felt soooo faaaarrrr away from JR train line exit with 2 massive suit cases and backpacks... and later found out that its only 1500yen to catch TAXI from Shinjyuku from Sakura hotel lol
Once you know the 'Keio-sin sen' entrance, its only 2 stops from Shinjyuku.
The hotel is surrounded by so many good shops!(restaurants, convenience store, chemist, cafe..etc)
Staff in the hotel were very polite.
went to our room, so scared of looking inside..

YES the room is tiny tiny tiny!!!extremely tiny!!! probably smaller than my bed room in Australia.
Only 1 doble bed and thin bed side table fits. Luckily we had soft suit case, so suit case fit nicely(but just!!)

But it was actually really comfortable!
We weren't planing to spend our precious time in Japan in the hotel anyway.
and we loved just sitting on the bed, drinking beer that we got from 24 hours convenience store which is 1 min away from hotel, and watching Japanese TV at night.

And the size of the room is just usual thing for 'Business Hotel'. That's why its business hotel and that's why its cheap.

350yen breakfast is cheap but not worth it.
You can get out from the hotel and go to convenience store or 5 mins walk and there is a fresh bakery.

anyway I stayed there for 5days and at the end, Sakura hotel was our home in Tokyo.
It was really comfortable.

I certainly recommend this hotel if you want to stay in the convenience location to travel Tokyo.

Room Tip: seemed like every room have same view of building after building, and size is probably the same. jus...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

It was actually my first time staying in a budget hotel on my 5th trip to Tokyo, this time bringing 2 of my friends. We wanted to be in a close location within Shinjuku, Harajuku and Shibuya.
Shinjuku station is a nightmare to carry suitcases around while trying to find the train that takes you to Hatagaya.

Sakura Hotel Hatagaya is in such a nice area. We were surprised it was actually pretty quite at night. The staff were nice and our room was a twin for 3. The room was small with the two beds pushed together but it was still good. Had our own private bathroom which was clean, mini fridge, tv and a cable line for the internet. Wireless was only available downstairs.
There were drink vending machines on each floor, and one of the floors hand coin operated washing machines.
There is a cafe downstairs selling a variety of world foods and drinks available on their menu. A bit pricey but good. Plenty of seats, a piano, magazines, books, guitars, tv, lounge and computers to use.

There were plenty of places to eat around, conbini, drug store, mos burger, coffee place, karaoke, book store, bento store all in a minute or two walking distance. Train station just nearby.

The only complaint I would have is when my friend walked me into the hotel and we were saying our goodbyes when a male staff member rudely said out loud to my friend that they were not allowed up to my room which embarrassed me so much! Never in my life has any hotel staff in the world have said this to me. One of the rules is that only the people who signed into the room and paid are allowed, but I was not inviting them up which I found rude.

I think there are better places to stay for 13,000 a night than here but it is a good location.

There was a free breakfast. Nothing too fancy. Toast, selection of drinks, soups and rice.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Osaka, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

I selected this hotel because it was near the site of a conference I was intending and really wasn't so concerned about the expense involved. I selected a room with a double bed because I thought it would be a bit roomier, but it turned out to be just the opposite -- part of what might have been floor space was taken up by the wider bed!

I was surprised to find that the clientele was almost exclusively non-Japanese, so if you don't speak Japanese and are looking for inexpensive lodging this might suit you well.

Business hotels in Japan normally serve a free breakfast. The one at the Sakura was disappointing. There was only a choice of two types of bread, with strawberry jam or marmalade to top it along with Miso soup. There was only one toaster oven, so when crowded you would have to eat your bread cold. No "onigiri" (rice balls) or other forms of rice were present and nothing that contained protein -- no eggs, ham, dried fish or some of the other items often served at a business hotel breakfast. They did serve decent coffee as well as one type of fruit juice -- orange one day, pineapple the next. There was, however, a "FamilyMart" convenience store on the corner where you could pick up a wider variety of breakfast items rather inexpensively.

The toilet was the typical low-end prefab type --cramped but with the basics. A warning says to keep the door shut while showering, lest the steam set off the fire alarm.

The bed was comfortable although I found the tick-tock of the alarm clock a little distracting.

The hotel is two stops from Shinjuku on the Keio new line (underground) and about a block from the station.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank trobb49
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in a double room. It's conveniently located near the Hatagaya train station but the rooms are extremely tiny. Have stayed in other Tokyo hotels before but this one was way smaller than what I was expecting. There is basically no space to walk/move in the room after we placed both our luggage at the corridor. It was value for money for me as I had a discount after booking this on the internet; however, I might not stay here again as the rooms are way too tiny. If you travel as a couple and want to stay here, you may want to consider booking the Corner Double or Superior Double rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed here by myself for 4 days en route to New Zealand. I thought that for Tokyo it was very well priced & I had a really nice stay here. I was nervous that the room would be literally a closet size but was pleasantly surprised. Although a small room, there was ample space for me & my suitcase plus a desk. It was very clean and the shower had great water pressure! Breakfast included was an extra benefit... And good coffee too. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The one negative thing I would say is that the room had obviously been smoked in previously & as there wasn't a big window so you could smell it still. Overall though I thought this was excellent value for money (especially for someone travelling alone & on a budget in an expensive city) and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Gateshead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

We stayed at Sakura Hotel Hatagaya for a total of six nights, and it was absolutely brilliant. The rooms were clean and comfortable and excellent value for money (yes, they are small, but big enough for you to leave your things and comfortably get read, and this shouldn't be a surprise as it does clearly specify this on their website). Breakfast was also included in this exceptionally low price, and was lovely and filling!

The staff were excellent - they went out of their way to make us feel welcome, and even made us pizza in their excellent 24 hour cafe in the small hours after we stumbled home from a night in Roppongi!! They were also very accommodating when we arrived late due to a delayed flight from Beijing.

It is right next to Hatagaya station, as well as handily placed next to an AM/PM convenience store, bakery, post office (with ATM that accepts British / European debit cards- and I guess probably American/Canadian/Australian etc - this is quite rare in Japan). This leaves you only 3 minutes from Shinjuku, which is a birlliant place to explore and also the place to connect to the JR Yamanote line (the only way to see Tokyo!!!)

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel - whether you are young, old, couples, families or groups of friends, I cannot imagine you will find a better, friendlier budget option in Tokyo.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kimmysut
brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2010

Although expecting Sakura Hotel to be run as a backpackers hotel my partner and I were not expecting much but were still very disappointed. The check in time was 2pm in the afternoon, and to leave our bags there whilst killing time everyones luggage was just left in the main lobby piled all around the desk. As recieving our key we had to sign an agreement to hand in the room key to front desk every time we leave the hotel. This was uncomfortable and I thought not needed as it was a nuisance having to put everthing back into your suitcase to lock as not wanting anything to go missing. Paying the extra amount to be upgraded to a corner room for extra space we were disappointed as to entering the room a huge concrete pole being in the middle of the room, which we could not get our luggage past without a hassle. The room was generally clean except for the stains all over the lounge and carpet which were grotty. Would not recommend, and know ou can find alot better hotels for the same price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tay_coun

Travelers are raving about these Shibuya hotels