“Just what we needed”

Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels / Ryokan in Ota
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I arrived at Haneda from the U.S. late in the evening, with two small children in tow. Nothing was better than the easy shuttle to Domestic Terminal 2, then the short walk inside the terminal to the hotel entrance. Staff amused my kids while I checked in, the room was impeccable. There was no need to have breakfast at the hotel, as the terminal is full of restaurants to choose from. A great way to start the trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VTSS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Great place to stay to catch an early flight! The hotel has great food too! And the hotel do provide early bus to bring you to the other terminals, but don't missed the bus as that's the only bus in the ealy morning. The hotel staff was kind enough to let us know when we check in and offer to give us an early wake up call! Great service!
Hotel room is very small but very clean. We did enjoy our stay.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at the Tokyu which is attached to the Haneda Airport for 3 or 4 days last year in June. Japan Travel Bureau was offering a special. Airfare and Hotel for 4 nights was around $780.00 total. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I arrived in Narita and took the bus to Haneda. It was direct and was very easy to find. Lots of helpful people in the airport.

While I did not relish staying next to Haneda, it was very easy getting into the City to do my sightseeing and there are lots of restaurants that were open early and late to allow me to get food, including a convenience store.

No complaints with the hotel at all. I only experienced one little earthquake while there. Fantastic people at the hotel desk. Highly recommend. They have a really nice hot water heater so you can make coffee, tea or instant ramen if desired!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Arrived at Narita and took a Limo Bus to Haneda Terminal 2 where this hotel is connected at one side. You can literally wake up, change, check out, and grab your spinner and run to the security gate for your flight within minutes. There are various restaurants, stores, and souvenir shops in the airport concourse but not much is open past 8pm so if you arrive late you need to find a cup noodle vending machine (the hotel restaurant is open until later however.) The morning breakfast buffet was impressive spanning across several counters with an assortment of western, Japanese, and other food. Don't expect a great view or any surrounding area points of interest - this is just a good enroute stop over owing to the direct connection of the hotel lobby to the airport concourse. Now if only you could check in, check baggage, and get your boarding ticket from the comfort of your room before waking up....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KrankyJack
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My daughter and I were taking a trip to Singapore from Dallas and our "midpoint" was Tokyo. As if flying for more than half a day wasn't enough on top of a 12 hour layover, we had an airport change as well.

Haneda was 80 mins away from Narita via airport limousine bus. Our 4 heavy pieces of luggage meant the train was out. A "cheapest" chauffeured limousine was USD 250! Ha! When we arrived at the next airport, we were near comatose! Thank goodness I made a booking at the Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu. ( Booking.com was the only service we found that would have let us cancel at 6pm the day of arrival. We were hoping to get a second wind and head to The Ginza. Another ha!)

We calculated that we were only going to be at this hotel for a max of 4-5 hours. We wanted to check in and check out the myriad of shops and restaurants at Haneda. ( I have to say they were FAR better than the ones at Narita.)

A side note about the limousine bus and check in. Before leaving the US, JAL said we could only check in 3 hours prior to the flight. But upon check-in at the JAL airport counter they said we could check in anytime after 6am the day of departure. We should've have gone to the counter first. It was at a different terminal form the hotel terminal (2). The airport limousine bus we took to Haneda loaded all our suitcases on carts and sent us on our way. We didn't have to lift a thing. But when we took the internal ( free) shuttle service to our (international) departure terminal later, there was noone to help with our 4 bags. The bus driver and everyone on the bus watched me struggle up and down with the bags. Horrid esp in the rain!

Anyway, we found the hotel with ease. We told the limousine bus operators where we wanted to go and they told us which terminal to get off at. You alight at one end then have to walk back to the other end of the terminal. We were so tired we didn't think we were ever going to make it!!

When I made the hotel booking we asked for a day rate. We were told they didn't have such a thing. Maybe the front desk didn't understand the booking.com rep when she called on my behalf. Noone at that front desk speaks English. The manager spoke a smattering but it was still difficult communicating. When we got in, I tried asking the manager promising him that they'd have the room back in 4 hours. He said that they had just sold out on that day rate! So, this hotel will go down as one of the most expensive hotels we've stayed at! Four hours for USD242. But as my daughter said, it was one of the best calls I've ever made!

The room: was a decent size with a long desk. We could have brought all our suitcases up and still had tons of room to move around. The double or quadruple glazed windows ensured that NO sound penetrated. Amazing, since the planes on the runway outside our window were within spitting distance. Someone mentioned that the rooms were dated or tired. I didn't find that to be so. Our room was newish looking, modern though I'm not talking W Hotel standards. But it's got that traditional Japanese feel.

The bathroom: was smallish but sufficient. The particle board door kept out sounds and odors! The bathroom was spotlessly clean. It also had one of those interesting toilets that performed a whole lot of extraneous functions!

Closet: space was plentiful. Lots of hangers plus an iron and ironing board. There was also a handy organic spray made of green tea to remove odors and freshen our clothes. If I could've carried one more thing in my bag, I would have bought one of those sprays. Our jkts and clothes smelled clean and fresh after 4 hours!

Amenities: On our beds, they laid out two thin cotton, Japanese robes. They were most comfortable. It wsa nice to get out of our clothes and nap in something light. The bathroom toiletries provided were: razor, shaving gel, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, tooth brushes and tooth paste, loofah scrub clothes. More than enough though I would have loved some body lotion.

Beds: were extremely comfortable with lovely pressed cotton sheets. Heaven! For the first time since I began requesting firm pillows (100 yaers ago!), this is the ONLY hotel in the world that has gotten it right. They provided two different firm pillows. One was like a Tempurepedic. Another was almost like a down-filled pillow that was packed and very firm. I loved both of them.

Before our nap I called down to the front desk to ask a question. No concierge. Noone spoke much English. So if you had any queries, you'd best head out to the airport information desk and try your luck there.

I took off one dot for the "lost in translation" problem, "non-existent" day rate and it being very expensive. Other than that, I have no complaints about this hotel. The staff were very polite and helpful. For what it is, the hotel is expensive but they know they have a captive audience. We were so tired and jet lagged. There was no way we would have been able to take another cab to another less expensive hotel nearby. The airport hotel was there at the right place at the right time for us.

Room Tip: If you are tired like we were, we didn't care what room we got. They all have those super glazed...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed for one night as I had a 5am international flight. Service was excellent and they even made me a bento box for breakfast when I check out the next morning at 4am. There is also a great shuttle to the international terminal which leaves at regular times.

I ordered room service and had a lovely meal (spaghetti bolognese) which was great change after all the Japanese food. The room was clean, you could hear any flights taking off and the bed was comfy.

Would stay again if taking an early flight!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank spinnyminnie
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Our flight was due to leave Haneda at 06 25 meaning an 04 30 check-in. At this time the trains are not running and so we would have had to take (an expensive) taxi ride from Tokyo out to the airport.

This modern hotel is right in the domestic terminal building. The room was perfectly adequate and there is restaurant and bar if you need it. There is a free shuttle bus at 04 20 which takes you to the international terminal to check-in.

Obviously not the hotel to choose for a lengthy stay in Tokyo, but ideal for what we wanted.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ota
Royal Park Hotel The Haneda
Hotel JAL City Haneda Tokyo
Hotel Mystays Haneda
Toyoko Inn Haneda Airport 2
Hotel MyStays Kamata
Shinagawa / Gotanda
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo

Been to Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu? Share your experiences!