“Prepare for the unknown”

First Cabin Haneda Terminal 1
Ranked #1 of 11 Specialty lodging in Ota
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed twice in a week recently.

First Cabin Haneda locates in Domestic Terminal 1( not too confuse terminal I / i for International terminal)

After 12 hours flight from London landing in early morning at Haneda, I decided to have a rest for 4 hours (08:00am to 12:00pm) before I took next flight to Osaka.

It was great that I was able to have a shower and big bath, have a quiet moment at the lounge and of course was able to lie down on the bed in First class cabin although I could not have a nap as it was busy morning time. (10:00am-12:00pm everyday is cleaning time)

For a short rest, this is much better option rather than paying airport lounge facility near by.

I booked to stay again in a week's time due to fly back to London the following morning.

Again I chose to stay at First class rather than Business class as I had a big luggage and wanted to keep beside me.

To stay this place as comfortable as possible, here's my tips (especially to travellers awaiting for a long haul flight following morning) :

1. I requested to have a furthest end cabin which is the quietest section of all and the best choice if you want to have a decent rest. Staff were very obliging to accept my request.

2. First class is the way to go if you are claustrophobic, it's more like a room. Also, If you want to keep your luggage, there's enough room to manoeuvre. If you are paranoid about security, bring a coiled bicycle lock like I did. You can tie your suitcase around bedside table leg. ( I did not have to use it as I felt safe enough and there is a lockable compartment under the bed)

3. Alarm clock and mobile phone are not supposed to use in the cabin, but for example, if you want to wake up at 4:30am, request for a wake up call (this is manually done by staff) at 4:00 or 4:15 am at the reception(you have to fill a form upon check in), but you should put alarm clock at 4:30am for a peace of mind & just in case.On my first stay, I requested for a wake up call at 11:00am but staff forgot about it and eventually she came to me apologetically at 11:45am!( luckily, I was awake).Human error occurs and your airplane is not going to wait for you.

4. Corporate to keep noise minimum for fellow exhausted travellers.
Try to separate essential item for the stay(make up, clothes etc,) in a small bag,there is a changing room adjacent to female lounge.

5. Give yourself time to have a bath and sit in the massage chair (100yen for 10 mins) before going to bed, it really relaxes you and be able to sleep nicely. Earplug(you can get at reception) and eye mask help,too.

6. Most of the restaurants at terminal 1 close by 21:30 pm. Convenience store near by closes around 23:00pm.

7. Bus stop (to and from International terminal) locates diagonally opposite to First Cabin Haneda on the same floor. Bus comes and goes every 5mins from early morning.Give yourself 15-20mins is enough time from check out to arrival of international terminal.

Overall, it was very comfortable,convenient, clean & cost effective place to stay(for Tokyo) but you need to prepare yourself, you are not staying at conventional hotel. I did quite enjoy semi communal living arrangement! I felt very safe surrounded by likeminded travellers of all ages & the atmosphere was very relaxed.Will stay again when I fly to Haneda.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
11  Thank Mollymalone38
There are newer reviews for First Cabin Haneda Terminal 1

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

In the heart of airport, easy to find. Clean room, comfort bed with lots of facilities, such as pjamas, blanket, tv inside, headphone, etc. They have onsen inside :) really relaxing.. I love this capsule hotel. More than expectation. They also have food & drink machine 24 hrs. Love love :)

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank fransiscahoo
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Curious wat to expect and it was a nice experiance
You dont have to be shy in the bathroom because everbody is naked and men and woman are seperated
Bading in the onsen is very nice too do, also is there a sauna.
Sleeping in the cubecle is also no problem and it is very silent there
For a drink or a hot noodle soup jou go to the lounge where there are vending machinesl
Japan is also very safe, so dont worry about your stuff

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank reiziger62
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Doing an overnight in a capsule is an interesting experience. After rolling up the 'garage door' style opening of your room, you see just how tight it's going to be. Then you dive in (there isn't any floor space - just the bed) and make the most of it.
The hotel is about an 8 minute ride on the free airport shuttle from the International Terminal to Terminal 1. Just inside the drop off entrance, turn right diagonally and proceed to the 2nd hallway. Take the escalator up and you're there. There is adequate signage and the first impression is a good one - modern, clean and inviting. In addition to the front desk, there is a common room with tables and chairs, free WIFI, snack machines and 2 fee PCs. To the left of the front desk is the entrance to the women's only sleeping area; men's to the right. The women's area also has a private lounge area.

Inside the capsule is a built-in lockable (they give you a key upon check-in) security box measuring 8"w x 30"l x 16"h. Also provided are disposable slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste, TV remote control, headphone jack, 2 electrical outlets and light switch. Sleepwear (top and bottom - one size fits - or doesn't - all) is provided and everyone walking around was wearing it. Like the hotel itself, it was comfortable.

The shared bathroom has several sinks and hair dryers. There is a separate room with the toilets as well as a Japanese style bathing area. The showers had good temperature and pressure as well as liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner.

Overall this was a very positive experience. The front desk will hold luggage you don't want to keep in your unsecured capsule, and the staff is friendly and helpful. The bed was adequate for the night, the price reasonable and everything was clean and well kept.

I recommend this as a great stay if you arrive late or are making connections the next day. Very convenient and better than a lot of 'normal' hotels.

Room Tip: Two room sizes are available. If you have a lot of baggage or don't like confined spaces or need...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank BobthedogOR
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel is situated at Terminal 1. When we arrived at Terminal 3, we took a free shuttle bus to Terminal 1 which was just 10 minutes bus ride. The shuttle bus has 5 minutes intervals until midnight. We emailed the hotel to confirm our ETA so that they won't cancel our reservation. Word of advice, book online at least 2 months prior to your visit since the hotel was always full. At 2am, there were at least 10 people checking in to the hotel.

I'm a claustrophobic, but the cabin didn't overwhelm me. There's a curtain panel which you can close/open whenever you feel you need more air/space. Aircond was centralized. It was quite heaty for us but we couldn't do anything about it.

I was quite surprised that the cabin had everything I needed. There's TV, locker to put your things (I put my handbag). And you can leave your luggage outside your cabin or at the corner and it's safe! I had quite a good sleep but my brother didn't. He said he could hear people snoring and that bothered him.

Bathroom was clean and had everything - facial cleanser, hair dryer, manicure set - you name it. The onsen was nice so was the shower (good heat + pressure).

All in all, I would recommend this hotel if you arrive late into Haneda.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank herbaceous
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Firstly, if you're a light sleeper, I probably wouldn't recommend First Cabin. First Cabin is a pod style accommodation with individual pods that have a slide down shutter for a door that does not lock, nor does it close 100%.

The above is not intended to put anyone off, if you are interested in experiencing a pod, or capsule style hotel, please read on.

We decided to stay at First Cabin after arriving on a late flight into Haneda. There is a free shuttle that goes between the International Terminal and Domestic Terminal 2 and then 1 which is where First Cabin is located.

The bus was easy to find at the International Terminal (after exiting into airport, just follow the signs for the bus terminal), and my only concern was that Terminal 1 does close down after the last flight, but lucky for us the terminal was still open, and a quick question to a security guard showed that First Cabin was not far from the entrance inside the Terminal where the bus stop was.

Check-in was easy. Males and females are of course segregated. You can leave your luggage (if it is large) just outside your pod, or if you are paranoid sleep next to it. We had booked the Business Class, which is smaller than the First Class pods. They are fitted out with a flatscreen television, a couple of hangers, clean sheets and a pillow, and small lockbox. You also get all the extras that you would get at any standard hotel, pyjamas, slippers, towels, toothbrush etc.

The communal area is honestly better than what you would get in some average hotels. A small onsen, two single showers, a vanity area containing, cotton tips, hairdryers, mirrors, moisturisers etc. The showers had Shiseido shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Now, I know this is a standard brand for Japan, but for foreigners, it's a luxury.

Inside the lobby there is a lounge area that has a few vending machines, and free wifi. The whole place was relaxed and clean.

I am normally a restless sleeper, but in this instance I was exhausted and did not hear a thing. During this stay, it didn't seem like First Cabin was booked out, so access to amenties wasn't an issue. Overall I was quite pleased. I don't think it's the cheapest accommodation, but it certainly didn't disappoint.

A good way to experience a pod hotel, even if it is not quite like the capsule hotels in the city, but newer and possibly much cleaner.

Side note: the hotel felt quite safe and other travellers are polite and conscious of the noise.

Room Tip: Not recommended if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AvidTravelling
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I was in transit to the Philippines. Little did I know, I booked a ticket that had an airport transfer, so I had to go to Narita the next morning, but I was very tired so I decided to stay here and take a bus over to the next airport in the morning. I got off at the wrong terminal at the airport and a nice police officer took me all the way to the First Cabin front desk. They were very hospitable and had me checked-in very fast. They gave me a key to an already occupied cabin, however, so it was awkward opening up the shade and finding someone resting peacefully (oops). I went back to front desk and they apologized, but it was not that big of a deal to me. I got the larger cabin where you can actually walk in it. The smallest cabin has the bed right at the door when you open it...VERY SMALL.

The next morning I was ready to check out and needed to purchase my bus ticket, but I had some trouble with using my visa. One of the receptionists helped me go to the bus ticket counter to purchase a ticket which took my card. I was very thankful for that as I was not prepared and tired because I didn't even sleep that night. Overall, it is a wonderful place to stay . It had just opened when I went so it was new. I will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Buy the business class cabin for a little extra. You will appreciate the extra space.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo