YADOYA Guesthouse for Backpackers
$171
$126
Travelocity
  • Fitness center
Smile Hotel Tokyo Asagaya(Suginami)(Great Value!)
$180
$54
Rakuten Travel
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The staff was incredibly helpful with showing me things to do and how toget places. The hostel had food and game nights for members to hang out. The rooms were small but the beds were very comfy. It was a very welcoming community especially for a solo traveler.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed in the Ninja semi-double room for 2 nights and moved to an 8-person dorm room for 1 night. The semi double tatami mat room was very, very crammed. The tatami mat was elevated from the floor and the space left to leave our luggage was so tight it was a constant struggle to move around. And we were travelling light with only 2 luggage, so if you have a lot of luggage with you, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere. We still had great sleep quality though.

The dorm room was also very tight. However, they have clean showers and toilets in every floor, which was good. And also, the receptionists were friendly and helpful. The hostel is only 5 minutes walk from Nakano station and Nakano itself has a great deal to offer. Very interesting neighbourhood! If you are planning to visit the Western part of Tokyo and see places like Shibuya and Shinjuku, this hostel is highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed at Yadoya in the Tokyo residential neighborhood of Nakano in September 2012. The staff and owners were most accommodating and friendly. I am surprised to have read not good reviews otherwise. For dorm-style rooms the price was 2000 Yen. They have an excellent map detailing all bars, restaurants, etc within the area which I have had an especially hard time finding at many other hostels. Every Tuesday they have a dinner/social get together for the guests (500 Yen) that includes dinner. I also went on a fishing trip to Yokohama Bay with the staff. Traveling alone, I really felt welcomed. For any backpacker that wants the true family-style (almost European) backpacker hostel, I highly recommend Yadoya.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Booked this guesthouse because it was cheap but we did not enjoy our stay there. The whole building is so cramped that moving upstairs with even a small luggage is a nightmare. It's a few minutes walk from the rail station but i sincerely think that it's worth paying a little more for a better room.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank EllisLiew
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed with Yadoya in July of 2010 at their Maruman Branch, which has since been sold/closed. The location was awesome - I just walked out the door and there was a konbini 20 feet in either direction. I was surprised with the accommodations. The facility, while very small for 5 people, was sufficient for what was paid. I will say that it's difficult to clean a dorm room that never empties, because they don't want to throw away someone else's belongings, so there were some things that needed to be thrown out and it was quite cluttered because of a young Chinese woman living there. However, the trash was taken out regularly, the bathroom cleaned and the floor swept. Air conditioning, wi-fi and other utilities were included, but due to the current power shortages and high prices, I think they're all coin-operated now.

As with any dorm room, sometimes people would come back really late and intoxicated. They would then turn on the lights to get ready for bed. This was the only problem I had when sleeping, but I can sleep on very hard surfaces or very soft ones - either is fine for me. They tend to use futon mattresses on wood slats, so it can be a bit uncomfortable, but I got used to it fine.

I did run into a minor problem while I was there - I was busy uploading pictures when the staff member came in and my locker was open because I store my laptop in it. He cleaned out my locker and I didn't notice until about 30 minutes later. I had a box of coins in my locker that had disappeared, along with all my receipts, so I had to run down to the office and go through their trash. I never got my coins back because the guy had already gone home and I decided not to press for it, but I was able to get the receipts. The other staff were very sympathetic and even helped me go through the trash. They told me he must of thought the locker was open because someone had moved out (I had already realized that was the problem).

OVERALL - the location, price and staff were great. So great, in fact, that I'll be staying at their long term Ginrei branch starting two weeks from now. I would recommend them to any college student. Some people mentioned not knowing where they were staying - to remedy, make sure you specify the branch you would like to stay at and they'll see if it's possible.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo