New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 10,529 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Japanese, Barbecue, Asian
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Stockholm
“The best dinner so far in Japan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We read about this place on Tripadvisor. Asked the hotel staff to call (at 20.00) and make a reservation for 20.30. The place was absolutely full, but with no queue. We felt very welcome and with our shoes taken off sat down at our table.

My wife is a vegetarian (eats fish, though) so this was a bit of a gambling. We were delighted to see that the menu contained a lot of non-meat stuff. We started with the wonderful cabbage salad and a beer.

I ordered the "chef's special" with 7 (i think) different yakitories. My wife ordered avocado, corn, cheese and some other veggie stuff. The corn was the best corn we have ever had! Absolutely amazing! My food was fantastic to (except the "pork fat(?)" yakitori, that was too fatty for me).

We also tried the plum wine - very good! After dinner we had the japanese spirit (similar to vodka). Me - on the rocks. My wife - as a drink with kiwi. We also tried it with peach (a little sweet) and grapefruit (great - if you like greapfruit).

Now we are on the way to Hiroshima, but we will be back in Tokyo in four days and then we will definately be back at this resturant!

3 Thank Anders J

• Korean first
Tokyo, Japan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Japanese Yakitori Restaurant that target non Japanese”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

There is not good cost performance also this shop may not get any star of the food .
However for Non Japanese People , atmosphere might be good ?
for me , I do not have education to eat the food on the street therefore I do not visit here with my family at all .
Only midnight after drunk with my friends, I may visit if I do not have ability o juedge of .

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Rei O
East Coast of Florida
“Hey, what's the big deal?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

While searching for a convenient dinner to add to our evening in Roppongi, I was intrigued by Tripadvisor's ranking of Jomon as the #1 restaurant among almost 5000 others in Minato ward. Wow! A yakitori-ya somehow clawed its way to the top of a region littered with world-class cuisine peppered with a few Michelin Stars? And they even have an English menu? And cheap shochu? Incredible! So off we went in anticipation of what surely must be life-altering grilled skewers.

The two of us were seated without a wait on a late Sunday night. Leaving our shoes at the door, we squeezed our way past the yakitori bar and sat Japanese-style against the back wall, knocking elbows with the diners next to us. The atmosphere is "intimate," like a wine cellar, and should therefore be avoided by claustrophobes. I think parties of five or more might have difficulty here even with a reservation. And as other reviewers have mentioned, the clientele is heavily foreign, probably following the hype like we did. Those back tables were "gaijin row" when we were there, but that can't really be a complaint, can it?

To be fair, the food was mostly delicious, but certainly not outstanding. The free shot of corn soup was interesting, but I think they could offer something more exciting than raw cabbage leaves as a palate cleanser. We sampled several skewers of organ meats as well "regular" cuts, all fine. The "grilled" avocado was unremarkable; the charred skin imparted no flavor to the raw flesh. The menu lacked one of our favorite veggies, grilled garlic cloves, but we got to try our first gingko nuts. Not bad, but not as good as garlic! Can't complain about the service, but the pours of shochu might have been a little stingy.

So we had fun and the food was good. If Jomon was in our hometown, it would be one of our favorite eateries, but in Tokyo? Nah. I'll admit that our experience was somewhat tainted by Tripadvisor's (nearly meaningless?) rankings, so we walked away unimpressed but satisfied that we had tried the Number One Most Awesomest Restaurant in Minato. We've got bragging rights there. Unfortunately, I see that as of this writing, Jomon has plummeted in the rankings to #2!

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Hankshanker
Sydney, Australia
“Nice yakitori but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Yes, this is a nice place to eat, but it seems the word is getting out and it's frequented by lots of Westerners now. Still an experience you might want to add to your itinerary if you are in the area. We arrived around 6:30pm on a Wednesday night and it was full, but we did not wait too long to get seats by the window sill with our feet hanging over (we sat inside). The menu is delicious - the potato salad was lovely and good value for the amount you get. As I said earlier, a great experience, but not the best meal I've had.

1 Thank leenooc
Baar, Switzerland
“Excellent start to our Japanese odyssey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

There was a long queue but luckily we booked in advance. Ordered the yakitori - iberico pork, lotus root, beef rib, shiitake mushroom were highly recommended. We had some umeishu to wash it all down. Fantastic night out and really enjoyed this place.

2 Thank Alexjoey