“Movie Set Dining”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Description: World famous Gonpachi outlets offers its signature fusion cuisine, which is an intriguing combination of authentic Japanese cooking. Gonpachi is not only famous for "Kill Bill restaurant" since Quentiin trantino was inspired by traditional Japanese decor, but also The former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi took The former President George W. Bush there while Bush was visiting Japan in 2002.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Encouraged by my friends daughter we decided whilst on holiday in Tokyo to go to the “Kill Bill” restaurant. A short taxi ride from Shibuya we arrived at lunchtime at what appeared to be a small home on the edge of the street. To our surprise this opened up into a huge restaurant inside of about 150 covers. The sushi prep area/kitchen was centre stage for all to see. Fantastically atmospheric I was expecting Uma Thurman to leap out at any second! It was a little late for lunch with very few customers which always leaves me a little worried. Our waiter, who was European, quickly seated us and delivered menu’s and took a meal order. He explained that this was in fact not used as the set of the Kill Bill movie but was the inspiration to Tarantino. It looked almost identical! We ordered from the 7 course taster set menu (no pun intended) which arrived quickly. Our two waiters explaining each course as it was delivered. The tempura prawns and vegetables were divine. The batter was as light as air. The soba noodles were tasty and the bacon and asparagus sublime. The Teriyaki chicken skewers were interesting due to the texture. Washed down with warm Saki I was more than happy with my meal. Had it been anywhere else I would have said it was ok but the atmosphere is what made it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed October 9, 2018

So, my family and I get there for dinner around 5 PM on a weekday, so it's virtually empty. Nonetheless, the staff hardly bothers to notice us, and it takes them more than 5 minutes to seat us. Hostess then seats us next to the fire extinguisher system in a corner of the restaurant, i.e. the worst seats in the house. I politely ask them to provide us with better seats, and you would have thought that I asked them to give me a million dollars. They were very rude about it. The last straw was the below average quality of the food. This is Japan after all, but the food tastes like you'd imagine Japanese food to be in rural North Dakota. Let's not forget that you're paying top dollar for all of this.

This place is obviously trading on its reputation as the restaurant that inspired the interior of the place in Kill Bill. You'll still go there for that reason, but you won't be wowed by the place. I'd be surprised if you go back again. I don't recommend even going there the first time.

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

We went there in reason of the film Kill Bill. To our surprise the food was good and the atmosphere nice. Prices for Tokyo ok.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

Great music, amazing atmosphere, friendly staff and enjoyable food. Black sesame ice creams to die for :)

2  Thank piotruszka26
Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

Very good food, variety of small dishes, excellent beef, excellent service, Gabriel is very friendly and paying attention to every detail. Relaxed atmosphere.