“Terrific Value, Clean and Convenient” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Fresa Akasaka

Hotel Grand Fresa Akasaka
Ranked #15 of 106 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Newton, MA
“Terrific Value, Clean and Convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

While the rooms are small by American standards, they are good by Japanese standards. Very clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful and did their best to help in every way they could.

The Metro station is right across the street, and within a few blocks there were plenty of dining options, a small supermarket, mini markets. There were no sites/tourist attractions within walking distance, but this is not a big deal with the metro right across the street. Tokyo is so large that you'll need to take the subway most of the time anyway.

Because Akasaka is mostly a business area it's fairly quiet in the evenings, which we liked since we had some concern about possible traffic noise.

Breakfast was not included , but we had no trouble finding things within walking distance.

The beds and pillows are very hard, but this is a Japanese thing and we experienced it in other hotels as well, so no fault of Grand Fresa. We used our airplane neck pillows throughout our trip and all hotels had hard pillows.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay there for a night in Akasaka before heading to Tokyo. Staff are friendly
but speak limited English. Grand Fresa is a nice modern boutique hotel with a hi-tech elevator that will only function with your room key card. Bathroom is really small and may be a disadvantage to those who stand more than 5'3 in height. There are plenty of cheap, variety interesting food stalls on both sides of the streets where the hotel locates. You'll never get bored and your senses will be over loaded and in awe with every thing they sell or have. I couldn't speak a word of Japanese except the usual basic greetings. But I managed to get around without problems. Older people are more friendly in asking for help.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Disclosure: I booked the hotel at half the price it usually goes for and so my rating is based mainly on the experience at the price I paid.

This is my 5th trip to Tokyo and my 5th different hotel. The room is a tad smaller than the other hotels I've stayed in. But travelling solo, the space was adequate and I wasn't in the room for much of the day.

Plusses:
- There's free in-room wifi. This is the first hotel I've stayed in Tokyo that provides this service. Most hotels provide only wired access but who uses that nowadays? Nonetheless, I brought my portable wifi router and plugged it into the hotel's wired LAN and it worked great.
- Hotel provides free bottle of water daily
-Comfortable bed with hardly any street noise, although I could hear the rumbling of the train from my 5th floor room.
-Clean

Minuses:
- Expensive and inconvenient laundry. It's 400Y to wash and another 100Y per 10 minutes of drying. If you have the time and enough clothes, skip the drying and dry them in your room. I did 20 mins of drying and my clothes weren't fully dry. Detergent is also not provided and you need to purchase them from the front desk. Bring along your own detergent if you intend to do laundry. The washer/dryer is also located in the annex building which means you need to get an access card for the annex building if you're staying in the main building.
- Very soft pillows. I needed 2 pillows to prop up my head
-Lack of a safe. It's annoying to have to carry valuables or lock them in the luggage each day

The hotel is located opposite exit 7 of Akasaka Station but more convenient is exit 6 which has up-riding escalators. However, if you have heavy luggage, you'll need to take exit 3 which has both up and down-riding escalators. Some may find the hotel's location convenient, but being located on the Chiyoda Line and having to interchange at Kasumigaseki or Taimekesanno Stations to get to the rest of Tokyo can be a chore. Shinjuku, Roppongi and getting in/to from Narita Airport are particularly inconvenient if you're trying to save by staying on the Tokyo Metro and not changing to the JR or Toei Lines.

Overall, I've given the hotel 5 stars because of the price I paid. At it's usual price, I would drop it to 4 stars as there are better hotels (space, location, amenities-wise) to choose from.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank SoloTravelr
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Being close to the station was great after working out the Tokyo subway system and akasaka represents a great location in Tokyo as it is fairly close by to everything.

We stayed in a double room that was about as big as our bathroom at home.

Although small it provides everything you need. The bathroom and beds were clean and as you wouldn't really want to stay in your room all day everyday this didn't present as too much of a problem. The room was always cleaned upon our arrival back to the rooms on a daily basis.

The biggest let down of the hotel is its pillows and hard beds.. Although once we requested new soft pillows the staff were more than happy to oblige.

Unlike other hotels you are required to buy PowerPoint adapters but at 500yen this wa not really an issue.

All in all a great place to rest and recharge for further travels in Tokyo. Nightlife is generally centered around weekends due to it being primarily a corporate district so early week there is not much to do.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel for one night stay in Tokyo before travelling to Izu Peninsula. I booked this hotel online with not much expectation. The price was reasonable. But when I arrived at the hotel reception, it offered a lot of nice surprises. The hotel was very international. Reception staff spoke good English and I noticed that the decor was great and environment was very clean. We stayed in the Annex where access to the building and floor were highly secured and can only access with room keys. The room was compact, but very clean. The mattress was firm. There was even a microwave in the room. The coffee shop at ground floor offered excellent breakfast and coffee. Some tips and hints here. This hotel is within 50 meters from Exit 6 of Akasaka subway station. Just about 10 mins walk to the right hand side of hotel and there is a huge restaurant and bar area at night time. Great location and sure will be one of my top choices from now on for short stay in Tokyo !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony268
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay here and we would certainly come back.

Pros:

-Room is very clean, well-equipped, and updated with a pleasant style. They provide soap, shampoo, and conditioner and even have a bidet that washes your rear-end. You have control of the room's lights from your bedside, just be sure to put your room key in a slot as you enter your room or you won't be able to turn any of them on!

-The staff was very, very helpful. They spoke limited English but it was no problem. They answered all of our questions politely with a smile and even helped us make a reservation at a restaurant.

-The hotel is literally across the street/down the street from the Akasaka stop for the metro/subway. (There are two separate entrances.) Makes traveling within the city super convenient and it's nice to know that once you exit the metro that you can get home right away after a long day. In addition, the hotel is pretty close to Shibuya and Shinjuku, two of the busiest and attraction-filled areas of Tokyo. (If you want more glitz and glam, you may want to stay in either of these two areas.)

-The surrounding area is relatively quiet, although there are plenty of restaurants, noodle shops, and convenient stores. It's so quiet that when my wife and I woke up in the morning we had to remind ourselves that we're in the largest city in the world!

-There is one washer/dryer on-site and they are located on the 2nd floor of the East wing of the hotel (you have to ask the front desk for the key to the elevator for it). I understand they also have a laundry service (perhaps outsourced), but it was closed while we were there. (We came during one of the biggest Japanese holidays, Golden Week.) The washer costs 400 yen per wash and 100 yen per ten minutes of drying time.

Cons:

-Room was pretty small. I know this is very common in Japan, but coming from the US, it definitely takes getting used to. There isn't much storage for you clothing (just a small closet to hang a limited amount of items), so you have to be creative.

-Bed was comfortable, but pillows were not. We asked for different ones but they weren't any better. :/

In all, if you're looking for a conveniently-located Tokyo hotel with a clean, comfortable room and a friendly staff, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Get a non-smoking room. I hear smoking rooms in Japan can be very uncomfortable.