“Our favourite hotel in Japan”

Hotel Grand Fresa Akasaka
Ranked #31 of 116 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed April 20, 2013

What a find! This was by far the best hotel we stayed in throughout our 3 weeks in Japan. Decent size room compared to any others we stayed in. The other comments saying the rooms are small obviously havent stayed anywhere else in Japan as this was by far the biggest room we had. We were in a superior room in the Annex Building next door. Great size bathroom as well, tiled floor, wetsern toilet etc. Not like the normal moulded plastic prefab bathrooms you find elsewhere. We paid approx $105NZD per night. Friendly staff who spoke good English. They keep maps and info behind reception for tourists. Akasaka is a great quieter area with lots of shopping, restaurants, bars etc around, but only about a 20min walk to Roppongi if you want the "action" although, Im not sure why you'd want to go to Roppongi as its pretty dodgy unless you are visiting people in Roppongi Hills where all the expats seem to live. This was our favourite hotel in Japan by a long way. When you reach Akasaka station, exit at Exit 6, turn left and the hotel is about 20m up the road, just past the 'Family Mart'
This will be our first hotel choice when we return to Japan.

Room Tip: Superior Room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EuanMe

Reviewed April 17, 2013

As many others have said, the rooms are small. But the space is used well, with my room having a double bed, tv on the desk, and small wardrobe. You probably cant leave your suitcase open as it would remove alot of walking space. I kept mine closed standing up at the foot of the bed.

The Wifi is good for general web browsing, but i found skype struggled if i wanted to video call my partner.

The hotel is located right next to Akasaka Station, with plenty of restaurants and convinient stores around.

There is a coin operated laundry located on the second flood of the second building (the hotel rooms are split between to buildings built next to each other).

I enjoyed my stay here and will book a room again next time i visit Tokyo.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I'd read all the reviews before I went but was still surprised by the size of the rooms. We booked 3 rooms - 2 superior and 1 standard (for a single traveller) and the superior were slightly bigger, but not much! It was not possible to leave a suitcase open and we had to put 1 of our cases on the top of the wardrobe as there was no room on the floor (we stayed for 7 nights). The bed touched the wall on 3 sides! We left the trouser press in the corridor and they kindly removed it so we at least had space for 1 closed case in it's place. The TV had no English speaking channels at all.

OK - so that's the negatives. The positives are that the superior room has a fridge, 2 bottles of free water every day, sink, microwave (not in the standard room) and kettle. The bathroom was lovely with a great shower, loads of hot water, nice free toiletries and a heated toilet seat (they seem to have them everywhere in Japan). Free wifi or wired internet with a provided network cable (slightly faster) and really cheap local calls from the rooms. They also gave us an umbrella when it poured one day.

The hotel is quite central and only 4 stops away from the main Tokyo station (TIP - you need to change metro lines - change at Tameiko-sanno rather than Kasumigaseki as it's a much shorter walk!). We arrived at Narita airport at 9.15am and got a NEX/Suica card and by the time we got to Tokyo the metro was really quiet so we had no problems dragging our cases around. We then used the Suica card all week with a couple of topups (like a London oyster card) and got the deposit back at the airport on our last day - really handy. The area around the hotel has loads of "mini-marts" and restaurants. It's a great area to be in.

We applied online before we went for a Tokyo free guide and were lucky enough to be allocated Yukiko for a half day and Makiko for a full day. Both were excellent guides and really enhanced our stay and visits - try them out. Makiko particularly is a lovely lady with excellent English.

Overall, we loved Japan. The people were really friendly and helpful, everything was really clean, the prices were comparable with the UK and there's loads to see and do. Go now!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank swivellingmonk
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here in early April for 6 days.
Room was fantastic and it was a lot bigger than I expected from a japanese hotel, while one room is certainly not big enough for 2 people the bathroom had room for a bathtub and the bed was a nice double bed. I've actually paid more for a smaller room in New York City so I was very surprised. The room itself looked fairly new, with a large 32 inch flat screen TV, free toiletries, towels, complimentary water and a mini fridge. Another great thing was that you could collect free free bathtub soap samples at the front reception, I used these quite a lot after a long day walking around the insanity that was Tokyo. The staff was incredibly friendly and most spoke perfect English. The hotel itself is very centrally located in Tokyo, with a subway station located right across the street from the hotel and with 2 other larger stations less than 10 minutes away, giving you access to 3 different lines. The area itself is a business district but there are TONNES of restaurants, bars and shops within 5 minutes walk of the hotel. Overall, a true gem in Tokyo and next time I'm in Tokyo I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank llbdtiberio
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for a week. Though the rooms are small (not uncommon in Japan) the hotel and its staff are spectacular. Everyone was kind and gracious and so very helpful.
My mother became ill and they contacted 2 hospitals for us, to see which would take an English speaking patient; they wrote down all of her symptoms in Japanese so we could easily give it to the hospital staff and quickly got a cab for us. After our return, they called the room to check on my Mom and for several days inquired about how she was feeling. This all made such a difference to us considering what we were going through in a different country.
For a reasonable nightly rate we were treated to a great location (shops, restaurants, shrine, subway station very close), a nice room and fantastic hospitality.
I recommend this hotel highly!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Zeetie
Reviewed March 14, 2013

First, I have the hotel 5 stars because I went on the holiday alone. The room (the cheapest one I believe) is only good for 1 person despite having a bed that easily fits 2.

But apart from that, the hotel is amazing. I stayed there for 2 full weeks as I explored Tokyo and chose it because of the large bed, the cheap price, and the 1 minute walk to the Akasaka subway station. If you don't believe what people are saying about the proximity to the station, go on google maps and into street view and look for yourself. It is also very close to a FamilyMart and a 711 (for withdrawing cash). There are plenty of restaurants around, including fast food, and a sort of restaurant complex just up the road.

The room is very nice, I had a view of the street in front but there's not much to see anyway but a nice addition non the less. The bed was a double and was very comfortable. I'm about 5'11 (180cm) and it was just long enough for me to lay straight. The bathroom has everything you need, including heated toilet seat which, I will admit, left me sitting there for 30 minutes at a time. There is a desk with a chair to let you sit and write down stuff or to put your laptop as there are a few power plugs here (2 pronged, no earth). The room is very small but as it is in Tokyo, there could have been a cupboard for storing luggage but ended up keeping everything in my suitcase and hanging up a few things that I didn't want to keep folded.

I can't comment too much on the service as I didn't use it much. They cleaned the room just like you would expect, the internet was still wired when I was there but I didn't mind as it was nice to get away from using my phone for 2 weeks. The internet speed was strange, seemed like it'd start and stop but when it was going, it was very fast. The people at the concierge desk were very friends, seemed to speak enough English to answer any of my basic questions. The check in was amazingly fast, no credit card or money needed to be given as a deposit. The check out was just as fast and they were always happy to see me. They didn't have a safe in my room so I gave them my passport to hold onto.

I hope this helps but may be biased as it was my first trip alone and to Tokyo. I truly believe for the price you're paying, you get an excellent hotel with a great room for 1 (more expensive rooms are bigger) and located very close to transport and food.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Chris H
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here at the end of Feb for 4 nights and found the hotel really good. The room was standard in Japan I.e. small. We had two medium suitcases with us and only able to open one of them fully. The hotel was easy to get it and a very short walk from exit 6 of the Akasaka station but please note that this exit only opens till 10pm.
The little touches from the hotel were great, free facial masks and massage gel, as well as a very good selection of tea in the lobby. There were also free bottles of water in the fridge, so we didn't have to buy water at all when we were there. They have most of the things that you need in the bathroom provided, shiseido shampoo, conditioner and body wash, as well as hairbrush, toothbrush, body sponge, q-tips etc, so basically I didn't really to bring most of my bathroom necessities.
The area was good with many convenient stores and a few places to eat around but the area was not crowded at all. The hotel was only 10-15 mins walk from the Roppongi area too.
The wifi Internet was excellent and super quick. We stayed in a number of hotels in Japan and this one was one of the best ones we have stayed in, highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends