“Amazing location... starting to look a bit old for a Ritz Carlton.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 117 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This was y fourth stay in May for 10 days. I keep coming back to this place for its amazing location but I cant help feel its getting a bit antiquated. The rooms are very large for Tokyo but the deco is more on the classic 90´s style and looks more like an old Sheraton. Lobby has great views but not as impressive as it could be, St Regis in Singapore is way more impressive for example.
Service is generally good except some of the employees are a bit stuck up and look down on you. Bell boys and doormen are excellent, the ladies at concierge are very nice and so were the cleaning ladies that did our rooms on the 52nd floor.
The Pool is excellent if you want to do some exercise.
If you are on business this is a great hotel but if I go as a couple again I will probably look for somewhere more relaxed.
All in all a good hotel but not as good as it should be.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed in this hotel some weeks ago during a business trip to the Japanese capital. The hotel is kept in pristine conditions. Style, classic with some "four seasons" colours all over the place. I found the main lobby a bit "interesting" with all the fountains and similar elements surrounding that area. The rooms are quite spacious and functional (you wont find larger rooms in Tokyo for that price). I got an upgrade to the club floor and enjoyed the amenities. The gym is rather good and with all the equipment you may need for a hotel (another detail you wont find in Tokyo). Overall, one of the best choices for Tokyo at the moment.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Tokyo for 7 nights and was one of the best hotel stays. The hotel is on the top floors of Tokyo Midtown Tower and my room offered a wonderful of Tokyo and the Japan State Guesthouse, which was beautiful. The rooms are large and come with a walk-in closet and bathrooms with double sinks, separate shower and tub and also a TV in the bathroom. I had asked for extra towels to be in my bathroom when I reserved and as requested they were there. There is a handy control panel next to the bed for all the lights, drapes and shears drapes. Outlet had a converter already plugged in, which I found great as I forgot to bring my adapter.

I cannot fault any of the service received in the hotel from the cleaning of the room to the turn down service, service in the bar. A nice touch every morning is the coffee waiting in the small alcove off the lifts that you can help yourself too.

The only thing that I would fault is that the lobby lounge has a cover charge in the evening for hotel guests, which I found absolutely unbelievable. I luckily had a rate that included the cover charge but for the price of the hotel this should really be included. You receive a 20% discount on anything bought in the lounge as a hotel guest but still not very customer oriented if you ask me.

All in all an amazing stay and will be back again when I am in Tokyo in a few months time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great quality in a great location. The ritz Tokyo is located in roppongi, close to the nightlife and connected to tokyo midtown, a retail/commercial complex with lots of shopping and restaurant options. Right in front of the hotel is a small park which is great for families.
The rooms are large, luxurious and comfortable and service is typical of ritz-Carlton hotels worldwide.
Overall my favorite place to stay when I'm in Tokyo.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have stayed both of them many times. Both are great hotels and service is equally good. However, I ended up staying at Ritz Carlton more than Grand Hyatt because the room at Ritz Carlton is bigger and I like Ritz's gym facility better. Also, the restaurants and bars that I visit are nearer to Ritz. If you are using taxi then Ritz has a better chance of avoiding traffic jam as it has several ways to get to the hotel. For shopping, both locations have great shops but I think Mid Town has better selection of upper end items.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank KLTokyo
Reviewed June 20, 2012

It's the Ritz, high prices and sky high expectations. With a reputation for delivering the best in hotel service, this hotel meets and exceeds even the highest expectations. But the thing that stands out is not the impeccable service or quality of everything in the hotel, it is the incredible views! The lobby is on the 45th floor and the rooms on floors above that.

At check-in they offered a suite for a moderate increase in price per night. I asked to see the suite and was blown away by the incredible views from the corner suite. I calculated the extra cost and decided as much as I loved the suite, it was too much money. The prices advertised don't include tax and service fees the hotel charges. Those are extra fees I am used to in the States but hadn't seen in Japan. I decided against it and was told I could get the suite at price lower than the cost of the extra fees, so I took the suite. I am glad I did.

Some amenities in the suite: an espresso machine; very deluxe Toto toilet system, incredible shower system separate from the soaking tub with television and views of Tokyo and the newly opened Skytree, and even a well stocked living room filled with quality magazines and books.

It is in a wonderful location with excellent stores nearby, good restaurants, even a next-door cooking school, and the most amazing (and expensive) fruit store I have ever experienced. It is also only a block from the Roppongi area famous for a wild and somewhat sleazy night life.

My recommendation is that if you are offered an upgrade to a suite, check it out and try to negotiate a good deal. Regardless, you will be in for a great view of Tokyo!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have the best views, and the views are spectacular!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed here for a week on a business/leisure trip and was totally blown away by the warm, sincere welcome of the staff.

The concierge staff is exceptional. Kumiko arranged concert tickets in advance of our arrival into Tokyo. Along with this, she created a concert packet including an article about the performance and English translation on our tickets so we could find our seats!

Since we travel one-bag (carry-on only), this means we have to do a load of laundry once or twice depending on the length of our trip. Many of the hotel guests were rock stars, business men, rich woman toting shopping bags, etc. and I was a little worried about the response I might get asking about a coin laundry place. Not only did they completely understand, they had a proper pre-printed map of a local place ready to go...apparently this is common for guests with longer stays.

Our room had an excellent view of the city and sunset each night from the 45th floor. The tub was fantastic for soaking weary muscles in bath salts (which were replaced each night) after too much exploring. I also appreciated having separate sink stations in the bathroom, as well as a separate toilet room for privacy. There was a double shade arrangement (on remote) for privacy and then blackout. The lights in the room were controlled by a console on either side table of the bed; there were room lights, reading lights, and even subtle floor lights under the furniture so you could light a soft path to the bathroom in the middle of the night without waking up your partner. The desk was in a great location for being useful, and the room was spacious, well-appointed, and smartly laid out. I also loved the wallpaper that featured tiny fans in exquisite detail.

The hotel location was excellent and we had bars, restaurants, and breakfast places (not common in Tokyo!) right outside our door. Best of all, the Hibiya line for the subway stopped right under the mall we were next door to, so getting out to explore was a snap.

I would not have enjoyed our visit to Tokyo as much if it weren't for all of the staff at the Ritz and I highly recommend them.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RMTymn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
#1 of 87 in Shinjuku
The Peninsula Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
#7 of 82 in Chiyoda

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo? Share your experiences!