“Great Luxury Hotel, but not much around!”
Review of Conrad Tokyo

Conrad Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 109 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
india
“Great Luxury Hotel, but not much around!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I would break this review into Pro's and Cons, as it is much easier to get a feel of what is!

We stayed at the Conrad for 7 nights in beginning April with 2 kids aged 9 and 3 years old.
Had a room overlooking the park and further the Rainbow Bridge on the 35th floor! Breathtaking!
We paid a lot but no breakfast was included.
USD 86 for an extra bed per night.

Pros

1) It is a exceptionally laid out Hotel with luxury underlined and the rooms are large, especially by japanese standards and very well appointed.
The bed is large and very comfortable, and well accomodated 2 adults and a child.
The bathroom is a absolute pleasure to use, the shower cubicle is decent sized with a powerful shower and there is a seperate bathtub which the children revelled in.
Room has automized blinds and love hotel rooms which can be darkened completely!
Awesome coffee too!

2)The concierge is very well informed about restaurants and very helpful in procuring restaurant reservations.

3) There is definite eye to detail, which is not the case with every hotel. For eg, on check in they gave my son a water botlle shaped as a shinkansen and my daughter one in the shape of hello Kitty.

4)It is located close to Shiodome Station on the Odeo Line(not part of metro day pass), and Shimbashi staion(metro) is a 10-15 minute walk but through a covered area.

Cons

1) the biggest inconvencience for me personally was that there was not very much around and in that sense, Ginza, the closest "happening" area was a 15 -20 minute walk. There is the Carretta Shiodome which has somes shops and restaurants, but limited and basic. On that note there Is a 'Din Tai Fung" in the Caretta Mall which is A MUST! But otherwise nothing around in close walking distance.

2) Shimbashi is very much walking but note does take 15 minutes or so to get to it, and we couldnt use Shhilodome as we only had the day metro pass, but that was our limitation.

3) Steep charge to use pool, gym and all extras, unless you are a Hilton Honors Gold!

4) Upgrades seldom happen even if you are gold or Diamond!

Acid test - Would I stay there again? Would be tempted due to the comfort and luxury offered, but may not due to the location, as I personally want to be in the middle of action! But that is very personal choice.

Room Tip: Higher floor with view. Lobby is on 28th floor to give idea of higher floor.
1 Thank lm1900
Hotel R, Gregor Andréewitch - General Manager at Conrad Tokyo, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback in such detail.
Great to hear that you liked our spacious guest room and the stunning view over Tokyo Bay from your room.
We are very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyed stay with us overall and we certainly appreciate that you have pointed out a few issues for us to review/improve, like pricing of our gym & pool.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Nice hotel, very nice rooms with a great view, good comfort and amenities. Can be quite easily reached by train from Tokyo station. Location is "ok" - a comfortable walk of 15-20min to Ginza. All in all a nice experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are happy that you and your family had a fantastic stay with us.
Great to hear that you liked our large guest room, the magnificent view over Tokyo Bay and the breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Conrad in Tokyo for a vacation for 5 nights.

I will start with the property itself. It is a beautiful hotel, with a massive & clean lobby. It is very grand in it's appearance and impressive when you first arrive. I will say I dislike the fact that the front entry to the hotel is on the ground level, but then you need to take an elevator up to the 28th floor for the hotel lobby/check in. The check in area was crowded when we arrived and we were asked to have a seat and wait for our turn. We then asked to check in in the executive lounge which we were directed to and that saved a great deal of time.

We were upgraded to a Deluxe Bay View Room despite using HHonor points for this stay and being a diamond member. The room itself was great. The view looked out over a wonderful garden and the bay. It was clean, surprisingly large in size and had a wonderful bathroom. The bathroom was separated from the main bedroom area by a glass wall which had a button controlled wood blind. There was a large bathtub, separate shower, toilet room and sink area. It was one of the nicest hotel bathrooms I have seen. The room itself was very clean, comfortable and had plenty of space for two people and all of our belongings.

The executive lounge of the hotel was a disappointment. It was small, crowded, and had limited seating. In fact, the seating was so minimal that we hardly used the lounge. The food offerings however were good - despite being limited. It seemed odd that the staff would only put out enough for two or three people at a time. On one evening we were served a small plate by the waiter working the room which had a sampling of food on it. It is not your typical executive lounge. I would suggest going early or late in during the happy hours to make use of it.

The hotel breakfast was ok, not bad, not great. The buffet which our room came with was limited in its offering but for a small price ( 10 usd) we could order hot made to order eggs. The french press coffee was nothing to write home about and the service in the restaurant was slow. The staff was very small on busy mornings which made getting coffee refills nearly imposable.

As far as negatives go - the location despite seeming great on a map - was not really that great. Yes it was located above a train stop, but it was about a 10-15 minute walk once you get underground to the Ginza Line which is a line we used often. There was not much walkable from the hotel other than the fish market, but given the road construction and difficulties getting around - we took a taxi there which was about 15 dollars, but worth it.

My biggest problem came in terms of noodles. Not the ones we ordered, but the one that was inside the bathrobe provided in our closet. Nothing like putting on a robe and finding a cold noodle in the sleeve.

Despite that, I would stay here again and already miss the view.

Room Tip: Choose a high room and ask for a bay view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel R, Conrad Tokyo at Conrad Tokyo, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback in such detail.
Great to hear that you are coming back to visit us again.
We are so happy to hear that you liked our spacious guest room and the stunning view over Tokyo Bay from your room.
We are very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyed stay with us overall and we certainly appreciate that you have pointed out a few issues for us to review/improve, like your valuable comment regarding bath robe have been well noted and shared with our respective managers to ensure there will be no re-occurrence in the future. Thank you for letting us know.
I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Conrad Tokyo soon. Thank you again.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel in simply gorgeous. The rooms are huge and well appointed and the beds are extremely comfortable. The bathroom is huge and the high-tech toilet was very amusing.
I stayed in a King Bay view room and the views over Hamarikyu Garden and Tokyo bay were spectacular.

I did find this hotel to be less conveniently located as a tourist in the city; I think it is much better suited for business travelers. It is above the Shiodome, but 90% of the time I had to walk to Shimbashi to access most tourist site. However, I would absolutely stay here again on future visits to Tokyo as the rooms were so spacious and quiet.

This hotel is deserving of 5 stars, but I have taken one off my review for the following reasons:
1. Wifi is slow.
2. Included Breakfast selection in TwentyEight is boring and does not change daily.
3. There was a soba noodle inside the arm of the provided bathrobe. For an otherwise impeccably clean hotel, I was surprised and grossed out to see such an oversight.
4. Executive Lounge is very small and was often full when I tried to go there.

Overall I would not hesitate to say in this hotel again or recommend it to anyone else going to Tokyo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel R, Gregor Andréewitch - General Manager at Conrad Tokyo, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for your great feedback. We are so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Your valuable comments regarding our wifi, cleanliness of the bathrobe, service on the breakfast and executive lounge have been well noted and shared with our respective managers to ensure there will be no re-occurrence in the future.
Thank you for letting us know. Otherwise, we trust you had a nice stay with us and we certainly look forward to an opportunity to welcome you again in the future.
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed through my years of travel. Service was exceptional. The world should learn from the Japanese when it comes to true customer service and hospitality.

The hotel is ideally situation on top of several subway stations all within walking distance from the hotel making this place very easy access to many parts of the city. Ginza fish market is only 10 to 15 minutes walk away.

I arrived at 8am in the morning and the check-in staff asked me to wait in the executive lounge for complementary (HHonor Diamond member) breakfast until my room is ready. I should of requested early check-in prior to my arrival; the invitation for breakfast cannot be passed. The lounge is located on the 37th floor overlooking the beautiful city. Food was fantastic. I especially enjoyed Japanese style breakfast which consist of rice congee, fish, seaweed, pickles and other little dishes that made their breakfast standout compared to most Western breakfast buffet.

At 9am I was informed my room was ready. My room on the 36th floor was large and overlooked the park which still had some cherry blossom--fantastic! Separate bath and shower. A lot of space. High tech toilet...etc. perfect and well appointed room with comfortable sofa along the window.

After settling in, I went to visit the gym, pool and sauna. The heated pool is located on the 27th floor and had many chairs and sofa to relax. Hot and cold tea was also readily available. I cannot imagine a better place to unwind in the middle of a large metropolitan. Sauna and steam room was fantastic as well. The gym has the latest equipment available. The following morning yoga class was offered...I didn't sign up.

At night, the lobby bar had great atmosphere but I prefer the executive lounge for less foot traffic.

I am looking forward to return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TP2WXC
Delighted to read your fabulous comments.
Great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the magnificent view overlooking the Tokyo Bay, our guest room, the Executive Lounge facilities as well as other facilities and service we have to offer.
Thank you for your great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I love the Conrad Tokyo, the views, the service, the amenities, make this hotel unique while you stay in Tokyo. the bar with live music is a well known place, ideal for romantic dates. no rival with other big brands

Room Tip: I prefer the bay view but all the rooms have a wonderful views over Tokyo
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel R, Gregor Andréewitch - General Manager at Conrad Tokyo, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Delighted to read your fabulous comments.
Great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the magnificent view overlooking the Tokyo Bay.
Thank you so much for your comments on our service, which will be shared with the team.
Come back soon and we look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.
mumbai
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I along with my family stayed in the above hotel from 29th March 2013 to 7th April 2013.
Nine nights in the above hotel flew away so fast that we did not even feel that we were way from home.
The hotel is truly 5 star with excellent food,superb spa and fitness centre and a heated pool a boon for the spring and winter travellers.My son in law and specially my 6 year grand daughter had a grand time.
The service and quality of food at their Gordon Ramsay restaurant was amazing.One of the finest I have experienced.
Right from the reception,concierge, housekeeping and the overall staff was others should aspire for.True to the Japanese hospitality it was a good feel experience.
If you are visiting Tokyo on business or pleasure I highly recommend it to all fellow travellers.It may be a tad expensive but Tokyo itself I'd very expensive city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great feedback.
We are so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Great to hear that you liked our large guest room and the magnificent view over Tokyo Bay .
Thank you so much for kind words for our staff, who really appreciate your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo

Been to Conrad Tokyo? Share your experiences!