first and foremost, who's ready for an international wifi party 24/7 in the lobby!
...free wifi *only* in the lobby yields this. probably the strangest aspect of the hotel from my other experiences. i was reaaaally frustrated to remember i booked here and settled on the wifi only in lobby. not having wifi in your private room is a huge burden to me who was just with smartphone and tablet. if you brought your laptop there is a LAN connection....
oh but *pssshh* i got a wee little secret to share with whoever is smart and reads my review: request a room on floor 3 or below and the wifi works in your room. i discovered this when they mistakenly told us our room was on floor 3, but it was actually on floor 5. though they will state wifi will not work... IT WORKS if you stay on 3 or lower. 3 is the lowest floor for twin bed rooms, so that was the best we could do. after 1 night on floor 5, we brought our belongings back to the front desk and got switched free of charge to 3 for the remainder of the stay. so much better!
no international wifi party in the lobby for me, thx.
issue #2: THE BEDS ARE AWFUL. awful with a capital A. "firm" is a very loose and generous term for their mattresses. i felt like i was sleeping on concrete. it was that terrible. the staff is very friendly and accommodating though, and gave us extra mattress pads to use along with our comforters folded in half to make sleep bearable. but that is the best i can say, it was bearable.
honestly, i like to be optimistic whenever possible but not having strong free wifi in the room and a comfortable bed pretty much squashes all my bare minimum requirements for a good hotel stay.
but positives do include:
• the rooms are pretty and modern
• the showers are AMAZING with multiple sprayers (glassed off divider creating the bathroom is odd, but i guess goes with the modernness)
• the very extensive included breakfast everyday is awesome -- but is exactly the same every-single-day (if you care). i just expected a lame continental breakfast but there was both western and japanese items: yogurt, salad, cereal, fruit cocktail, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes with bacon, breakfast sausage, miso soup, cooked salmon, croissants and bread...
• free single serve coffee maker in lobby 24/7 is very good. better option to grab with breakfast than the coffee in the dining area
• the staff is very very helpful - even called a local bar / restaurant to make a reservation for us
right next to the TSB station and you always see cool live filmings going on. we watched a gameshow structure being built all week then finally filmed live. was cool to continue and watch on the tv in the room! they also had some team race going on right across from the hotel.
• close to the akasaka station... you walk across the street from the hotel, down the staircase, along the TBS building and it takes you right into the entrance
• the akasaka area is really nice to be staying in. i stayed in shinjuku the first leg of my trip, and it is like night and day. much more mellow (very quiet and low traffic in the hotel area) and the lower area across from TBS and in the station area is a fun hip and trendy area with great shopping and restaurants. there is a multi-level food court down there as well as a variety of restaurants. we ate at the spanish restaurant a bit after the food court and it was VERY good - great pasta and flatbreads.
all in all, the B appears to be a decent chain with a lot to offer. if you dont care about wifi in room and like super firm mattresses, this place would be a 5 star for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the hub of the business, entertainment, dining and shopping districts of cosmopolitan Akasaka. Close-by is TBS Studios, Akasaka Sacas and two major subway stations providing easy access to Ginza, Shibuya, Shinjuku and Omote Sando. A short walk away you’ll find the Imperial Palace and the popular nightlife and entertainment area of Roppongi including Roppongi Hills, Tokyo Midtown, Suntory Museum of Art and the National Art Centre. The hotel also features Image SPA facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, JAPANiCAN, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your the b akasaka reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The b Akasaka Hotel Minato
- b Akasaka Minato
- b Akasaka Hotel Minato
- The b Akasaka Tokyo, Japan