“Small Hotel with Helpful Staff in a Good Location”

the b tokyo akasaka
Ranked #44 of 114 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here our first few days in Tokyo. The room was a well thought out space that made use or every inch. While it is smaller than most people in North America are used to, once we got used to it, we didn't have any problems. The bed was comfortable but the pillows we found to be a bit flat, which we've discovered is a common hotel problem and doesn't reflect on just this hotel.
The staff was most helpful to two travelers on their first adventure in Japan and helped us locate things on maps, told us how to get to the subway and even helped us make dinner reservations for a popular restaurant. We did have the hotel breakfast one day but landed up going elsewhere the other days for what we were looking for. (Non-buffet basically).The hotel is in a quiet area just outside of the business district, so it was very quiet during the evenings. The train stations are a 10-15 min walk down the hill and there you will also walk thru a district full of dining options.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b tokyo akasaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Hi LB1982

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and for your time to post the review.
Thank you so very much for your compliments about our front staff members – I will make sure to share them with the team. We are so happy that we were able to help you out and make your trip easier and more comfortable.

As for the pillows, we are sorry you found them flat – next time, please don’t hesitate to let us know so that we will be able to switch them with the better fitted ones for you.
Please come back and see us again upon your return to Japan!

Best regards,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have nothing but positive comments about the B Akasaka. We spent 2 nights there, location suited us perfect. Room was small (normal for Japanese standards) and Internet was good and fast. The bathroom is very nice no complains on that either. Only 2 things I would improve: there's no closet whatsoever (not that I needed for 2 day but maybe yes for more) and the bed could be better quality (more comfortable). Breakfast was good and staff excellent. Will come back!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Eddiecreagh

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and for sharing your experience at the hotel.
We are glad you like our bathroom – it definitely is one of our strengths and popular amenities at the hotel. We are sorry we did not meet your expectation regarding our beds and closet. Was your bed too hard or too soft? We have placed francebed, which is known for their great quality beds in Japan. Although the clothes can be still hung in our “closet” space, there is no door to it. It is to make the space more efficient and for the designing purposes. Thank you for your comment regarding our breakfast. I will make sure to share your compliment with our culinary team. Please come back and see us again.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The staff were super helpful, stored my luggage 4 hours before check-in time. The room is super-cool and modern looking! The shower has a rain-style head, a detachable hand sprayer, and some waist-level sprayers as well! Electronic toilet as is common in Japan (but also looks like brand new). Lots of glass fixtures in the bathroom give it a very airy and relaxing vibe. Bed and lighting are comfortable. Cooler, nice robe, slippers, and tea maker in the room as well as internet cable/plug-in. Not a room you'll be doing morning calisthenics in, but superb for a solo person crashing after walking around Shinkuku/Harijuku/Asakasa all day. I was in the single non-smoking room, btw.

Room Tip: If you close the shower doors right after you get out, the bathroom won't fog at all (and doesn...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b tokyo akasaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Nick C

Thank you for staying at the b akasaka and for posting a review of your stay.
We are delighted to know you had a great stay and enjoyed the bathroom - the multi-functional shower is definitely one of our guests' favorites!
Thank you also for the pictures! Please come back and see us again!

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My third stay at The B Akasaka - excellent friendly & helpful staff, fantastic location with a metro stop a few hundred metres away. The rooms are small but well laid out (particularly like the bathroom layout). My 1st winter stay and I found I needed to keep the window open (heating only in winter) so keep that in mind if you like the room a little cooler (wasn't noisy). Wifi was only available in the foyer too (LAN cable in rooms).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jmpow2

Thank for being a royal guest of the b akasaka and for sharing the comment!
As you have mentioned, our location is one of our strengths - Akasaka is in the middle of Tokyo and has easy access to many of the famous Tokyo sites. We hope you were able to experience great restaurants and bars around us. Please come back and see us again!

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at The B Akasaka for 7 nights - in short.... awesome!

Hotel is in great location - short 5min walk from Akasaka metro station therefore you have great access to the whole city.

Staff welcoming, friendly and happy to help with local information. Wifi available in reception as well as PC to surf the web were really useful. Breakfast had good variety.

For value, location and staff you cannot fault this hotel.

Would re-book and recommend in an instant.

Thanks to all the team for a great stay in a great city.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Craig S
IshinHotels, Manager at the b tokyo akasaka, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Craig S

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you were so happy with your visit to the hotel and will certainly pass on all your wonderful comments to the team.

If you come back to Tokyo, we would be more than happy to look after you again.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

What can I not say about this hotel? I had travelled to Japan since my stay here a year ago and always think of this place here. When I first travelled to Japan, I stayed here. The location is great. It is easy to get around via train and you have so many great restaurants and nice things just a few steps away from your door.

Down the tall steps from the B (it's located on a hill) is the Tokyo Broadcasting Station (TBS). You can often wander down the steps and see them filming shows outside in mini sets. They do not allow photography, but it is nice to mosey on down and see something out of the ordinary going on. Across from the B Akasaka is Akasaka Sakas. Great shops, botiques, and plenty of restaurants. Make sure you check out Dozo for dinner. They are a little pricey, but the quality is really good. Also swing by the bakery on the lower level. In the winter, when it is too cold to film outside, they have an iceskating rink set up below the steps. So if you come in the winter, prepare to skate!

When I came here, I was also traveling alone. I was a young woman who didn't speak any Japanese, roaming around here for pleasure. The best part? I felt safe here.

The staff at the B Akasaka is so friendly and they are all about service, service, service. It was raining one of the days I was there and one of the workers grabbed the umbrella for me. Didn't have to, but was just being polite. The staff always smiles when you walk in, greet you, and truly care about your overall happiness.

The next time I come back, I will be staying here. While most people stay in the Shinjuku area (where the main train station is), it's only a few train stops away if you need to get around. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

I'm not Japanese and I have only been to Japan twice, but I have a sense of "I feel at home" while I am at The B.

Room Tip: Rooms are tiny - so make most of your space (that's most hotels in Japan though). I would encou...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank KG017

Dear KG017

We are delighted to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again for your second visit.

And it is wonderful for us to hear that you feel like this is your home-away-from-home. This is part of aim for the b hotels - good value, great locations, and a very comfortable retreat at the end of a busy day.

We focus on making sure our guests feel welcome when they are at the hotels, and the Team Members work hard to ensure all guests are well looked after.

This, as well as the wonderful locations close to the subway making it easy to access all of Tokyo, make the b hotels the number one choice for accommodation in Tokyo.

We will certainly pass your great comments on to the Team Members and we look forward to welcoming you back to the b akasaka on your next visit to Tokyo.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just came back from my 1st ever trip to Tokyo. I was debating between the Tokyo Green Palace and The B Akasaka, but ended up with The B through a great deal Orbitz offered which included breakfast.

Access to the hotel could be a bit tricky for foreigners from the Akasaka station. If you took the Narita Express train to Tokyo station, make sure you take the Marunouchi line and transfer to Chiyoda line at Gojigidomae station instead of Kasumigaseki because there is no escalator/elevator at the latter station.

Once arriving the Akasaka station, take exit 3b which has an escalator to get out of the station. There is an elevator hiding near the TBS Blitz that can take you and your luggage up without the climbing the hill. If you have trouble finding it, feel free to ask around (I'd recommend to ask someone working at the TV station).

Hotel staff are very courteous and willing to help. They even brought out the SIM card that I ordered online before I asked for it while checking in.

Room is small in western standard, but meticulously clean. The way the room was laid out was not so good for large luggage. I had the standard single room and the space was just right. Bathroom is roomy in Japanese standard and the shower is great. However, the water heater might be a little weak as the water wouldn't get hot when I tried taking shower for couple times. Fortunately, the indoor temperature was warm enough to be able to bear the cold water. I visited in late November and the hotel had switched to provide heat only which made the room rather toasty (perhaps a bit too toasty at times).

The area is rather quiet and there are many restaurants nearby. There is also a 7/11 inside the Akasaka Biz for quick snacks or light meals.

Breakfast was not as boring as some other reviewers have noted. I enjoyed both the Japanese and Western selections. Everything was fresh and well prepared. I also enjoyed the coffee machine at the lobby.

Checking out was a breeze as well. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at The B and would love to come back again!

第一次到東京,決定試試這家口碑不錯的商務酒店。很多人都說到它有點難找還而且還要爬坡,但其實如果是從成田到東京火車站,搭丸內線在國會議事堂前站(記住,不是霞ケ関站)轉千代線然後在赤坂站下就ok。 如果要到酒店,請用3b出口。因為酒店離TBS電視台很近,可以利用3b出口附近電視台的電梯這樣可以免掉帶著行李爬坡的麻煩 。如果找不到,可以問周邊的人(我自己是問了親切的電視台警衛大哥)。 出了電梯直走就可以看到酒店了。

工作人員態度都很好而且很有效率。房間打掃得很乾淨。單人房坪數其實很小,但五臟俱全。我喜歡他的洗澡間。淋浴很舒服可是熱水器有點弱因為曾經有一兩次洗到一半水變冷。因為去的時候是冬天,酒店全面供應暖氣不能調氣溫所以有時熱到會把窗戶打開透透氣。因為房間採用開放式設計, 所以就算是雙人房都可能不太適合與朋友共用.

早餐是吃到飽模式,選擇其實算多的(跟同等級歐洲酒店比的話)而且很新鮮。大廳的咖啡機免費無限供應咖啡而且比早餐提供的好喝.

酒店附近還算熱鬧,但晚上很安靜, 除了有時候會聽到走廊有其他旅客大聲講話或關門...

基本上,我是挺滿意這家酒店的. 如果下次來東京有機會的話我還是會考慮回來住的.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
IshinHotels, Manager at the b tokyo akasaka, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear llc2009

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your very informative review on Trip Advisor, and for choosing to stay at the b akasaka.

As you understand it is quite easy to access the hotel, as long as you know the directions, exits to use, lift access etc. You comments are quite beneficial and will certainly assist guests staying at the hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed the sumptuous breakfast, and also enjoyed the benefits of the hotel, including the convenience of the 7-Eleven store nearby. This is a great area to be able to access all of Tokyo, so it is always popular with travelers.

We will pass your comments to the Team Members and they will pleased that you were happy with your stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.