“If you don't mind a stay without the frills”

the b tokyo roppongi
Ranked #46 of 118 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed for 6 nights at the hotel. Got the deluxe double room, it was rather comfortable by Tokyo standard at around 30 sq M, though until now I still couldn’t figure out why was there a non-working kitchenette in the room.

The room was alright though I must say there are a couple of occasion during our stay, that house-keeping did not clean the room. House keeping isn’t 24 hours at the hotel. Breakfast selection was rather repetitive, having the same items everyday. There was the occasion when the hotel was full, we were not informed that we had to wait for a good 20 minutes before we are allowed to have breakfast. By the time we are allowed into the breakfast room, the food was all gone and was not replenished.

If you are coming with a big luggage or have a knee problem, you might want to watch out for the stairs at the entrance as well consider its location which is on a slight hill.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
theb015, Front at the b tokyo roppongi, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Dear MagChris5597,

Thank you for staying with us and writing your valuable comments.
We are disappointed to read that there were reasons to be dissatisfied with your stay at the b roppongi and wish to offer our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused to you. As you have noted, our housekeeping time is fixed and available throughout the day. However, for fresh towels and amenities, we are pleased to offer them around-the-clock by inquiring at the reception.
As you have pointed out the restaurant can be very busy at breakfast time and we have recently reviewed the breakfast service. We also now offer an improved variety on the breakfast menu so you should see a big improvement on your future visits.
Once again, we would like to thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our improved hotel soon.

Sincerely yours.

the b roppongi

Reviewed December 28, 2010

As I said, great location being in the heart of Roppongi and where the action is. Cons: Way too small, and a bit dated on their finishing. I guess there's always a price to location vs quality!

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I stayed at the b roppongi on two different occasions on the same trip. During my first stay I was upgraded to a slightly larger room (I had booked the smallest room available since I was traveling alone). Although small by American standards, it was very comfortable, quiet, and clean. It was the perfect home base for my time in Tokyo. The bed was somewhere between and twin and double, perfectly roomie and I slept well. The hotel staff was very nice and included breakfast was a nice touch.

On my second stay I was not upgraded and stayed in the room that I had actually booked. It was VERY small...almost whimsically so. Again, it was clean and otherwise comfortable. If there is only a slight price different between the lowest room level and one step up, go for the next size up. The little bit of extra space makes a big difference, even if you are only spending a little time in your room.

There is a subway stop just out the door and so many 7-11's nearby I can't count them. The location is excellent. Very near the two major shopping malls of Roppongi and offers easy access to any of the other areas of the city.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank sugartmp
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Very comfortable bed, small room, which I understand is normal in Tokyo, but good bathroom with full bath and everything you need. Very friendly service. My room was at the back, so street noise wasn't too bad, but still inevitably get some noise from the street. During the day renovation work was going on on one of the lower floors, which created a lot of noise, but only during business hours when you're exploring anyway, so not really a problem unless you want a siesta. Very close to the Roppongi subway station, Roppongi Hills and all the bars and restaurants in the area. Easy to get to & from airport using Kensei Skyliner to Ueno then transfer to the subway for direct subway line to Roppongi. The biggest challenge is working out how to buy the subway tickets when you can't speak or read Japanese, but not impossible to work out & I found the locals very friendly and willing to help, even when there was no common language.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Great location close to restaurants, bars and nightlife.
Close to the metro.
Some of the rooms are very small.
The staff are friendly and helpful, but they do not understand english very well

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I stayed at The B for 5 nights, which on reflection was a bit long. The rooms are small and while this is expected in Tokyo, I found that I couldn't just hang out in the room for any period of time, in other words I had to be out of there everyday.

While the room was clean, there was a strange smell on my level (lv 9) that made its way into my room during the second night which woke me, then kept me awake. I asked for a room change the next morning but the hotel was fully booked, they could only move me on the last night (which I did). The third night wasn't so bad, but by the forth I was fed up and the hotel placed an air cleaner thingy in the room (even less space now) but this solved the smell problem. What did surprise me was a call from reception at 1:30am asking if they could have the machine back. 1:30? what the? Anyway, I suspect this was a temporary glitch with the vent system and should not be held against the staff, but the 1:30 awakening was odd.

Breakfast was included, but to be honest, get out in Tokyo and you will find exceptional breakfast material (esp if you like french pastries!).

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2010

The "B" is in a great location for foreigners who like to get out for some socialling with drinx and dinner in the popular Rappongi area.

It's a great setup at a reasonable price.

Cheers