New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Chef Yasuda does not disappoint, even when you travel 12 hours from NYC->TOKYO” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sushi Bar Yasuda

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Yasuda-San is amazing - aside from the stories he can tell you, the sushi is sublime. This is some of the best sushi I've had and I've lived in Tokyo and New York and chased the best sushi in town for over 20 years.

Sushi master Yasuda has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. When my father was a young (and poor) Japanese businessman in NYC, sitting in front of Yasuda-San was his big splurge. I can say the same for myself, and when I convinced my husband to sit at the sushi bar and eat anything that Yasuda-San put in front of him, he couldn't help but agree.

If you've been to Yasuda in NYC and you're in Tokyo, please go to his new restaurant in Minato-Ku. It is hidden and small (you may need to give the taxi driver a map) but it is an amazing experience.

If you're visiting Japan and love sushi, get a lot of recommendations from locals and any Japanese people you know. Sushi is to Japan what burgers are to New Yorkers - everyone has a favorite and they are all different, but one is not necessarily better than the other.

I do love Yasuda-San though...

• Visited September 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
“Think you know sushi?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Before you think of going to Jiro's or any of the other 3 star Michelin sushi establishments, I would recommend going to Yasuda's restaurant. Not only does he give you an absolutely amazing dining experience, which is a little easier on the wallet he provides his diners with an insight into what sushi is.

For some of the experienced sushi connoisseurs they may feel like they've heard it all before. However go in with the right attitude and expect a fun and relaxing evening with one of the best sushi masters.

We ordered the omakase and ended up eating 27 pieces or something like that before we ran out of time as the restaurant was closing (late sitting). Too be fair I would of struggled to of eaten any more, the walk to the metro station after was very slow

Two nights after I did go to one of the coveted sushi restaurants in Tokyo and I think without this visit I really wouldn't of appreciated it as much. This restaurant should be on every sushi lovers list

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank 0smudger0
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Absolutely the #1 Sushi bar in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

I LOVED this unique sushi bar, it's like no other place at all. Chef Yasuda is one of the kind, and I enjoyed every minute of my dinner there. Best environment and excellent food

Visited July 2014
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“I dreamt about this sushi. No joke.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We were able to secure a last minute reservation at sushi bar yasuda while on our honeymoon. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant and chef yasuda.

The restaurant itself is on an unassuming street, and is off the tourist path. After walking down the flight of stairs, you are greeted by his wife, who seats you at the bar. There are only about 10 seats, so the experience is highly personal. Chef yasuda asks you what kind of meal you'd like (chef's choice, 12 piece, or 14 piece). We chose to get the 12 piece. After assuring yasuda that we'd eat whatever he would put in front of us, and that we didn't have allergies, the show started. Yasuda is personable, and full of fun and interesting stories about his experiences. He's very engaging and knowledgeable. We also got to talk with the other people who came to the restaurant, which was much different that the other dining experiences we had in japan. The atmosphere is very relaxed. After some more....formal....japanese dining experiences, this was refreshing. I'd say that sushi bar yasuda utilizes japanese quality and pride, while maintaining a western sort of demeanor.

Now onto the important stuff- the SUSHI!!!!!! So amazing. The rice is beyond delicious. The fish is amazing- very flavorful. Each piece is completely unique. I loved being able to watch the whole process. We tried things we had never tried before, and we would DEFINITELY get again. We weren't intimidated at all. If we could go back in time, we'd get the chef's choice meal instead!!!

For two people, getting the 12 piece meal, and around 5 beers, we spend approximately $280 usd.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank im_a_t0urist
Houston
“Seamless, down-to-earth perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

I have to hand it to Yasuda; he's done something remarkable. Yasuda has made sushi both phenomenal and friendly. There's no pretension here. His food is just better than yours. Yasuda laughs and enjoys holding court, but he also offers his diners serious education about what they're eating and why he prepares his sushi the way he does. Sushi with a smile and a deft hand is awesome, but when it also comes with the freshest seafood on the planet, it's heaven.

Go to Sushi Yasuda, order the Omakase. Just do if.