“Think you know sushi?”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Before you think of going to Jiro's or any of the other 3 star Michelin sushi establishments, I would recommend going to Yasuda's restaurant. Not only does he give you an absolutely amazing dining experience, which is a little easier on the wallet he provides his diners with an insight into what sushi is.

For some of the experienced sushi connoisseurs they may feel like they've heard it all before. However go in with the right attitude and expect a fun and relaxing evening with one of the best sushi masters.

We ordered the omakase and ended up eating 27 pieces or something like that before we ran out of time as the restaurant was closing (late sitting). Too be fair I would of struggled to of eaten any more, the walk to the metro station after was very slow

Two nights after I did go to one of the coveted sushi restaurants in Tokyo and I think without this visit I really wouldn't of appreciated it as much. This restaurant should be on every sushi lovers list

1  Thank 0smudger0
There are newer reviews for Sushi Bar Yasuda

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I LOVED this unique sushi bar, it's like no other place at all. Chef Yasuda is one of the kind, and I enjoyed every minute of my dinner there. Best environment and excellent food

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were able to secure a last minute reservation at sushi bar yasuda while on our honeymoon. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant and chef yasuda.

The restaurant itself is on an unassuming street, and is off the tourist path. After walking down the flight of stairs, you are greeted by his wife, who seats you at the bar. There are only about 10 seats, so the experience is highly personal. Chef yasuda asks you what kind of meal you'd like (chef's choice, 12 piece, or 14 piece). We chose to get the 12 piece. After assuring yasuda that we'd eat whatever he would put in front of us, and that we didn't have allergies, the show started. Yasuda is personable, and full of fun and interesting stories about his experiences. He's very engaging and knowledgeable. We also got to talk with the other people who came to the restaurant, which was much different that the other dining experiences we had in japan. The atmosphere is very relaxed. After some more....formal....japanese dining experiences, this was refreshing. I'd say that sushi bar yasuda utilizes japanese quality and pride, while maintaining a western sort of demeanor.

Now onto the important stuff- the SUSHI!!!!!! So amazing. The rice is beyond delicious. The fish is amazing- very flavorful. Each piece is completely unique. I loved being able to watch the whole process. We tried things we had never tried before, and we would DEFINITELY get again. We weren't intimidated at all. If we could go back in time, we'd get the chef's choice meal instead!!!

For two people, getting the 12 piece meal, and around 5 beers, we spend approximately $280 usd.

4  Thank im_a_t0urist
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

I have to hand it to Yasuda; he's done something remarkable. Yasuda has made sushi both phenomenal and friendly. There's no pretension here. His food is just better than yours. Yasuda laughs and enjoys holding court, but he also offers his diners serious education about what they're eating and why he prepares his sushi the way he does. Sushi with a smile and a deft hand is awesome, but when it also comes with the freshest seafood on the planet, it's heaven.

Go to Sushi Yasuda, order the Omakase. Just do if.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Sushi can cost up to $300 per person in Japan or as little as about $40 in smaller places. Not only was Yasuda a relative bargain. We spent about $100 pp including shochu. The sushi experience itself was great as we tried things we'd never have tried under other circumstances and really enjoyed them. He's a purest and doesn't do a lot to the fish, preferring to let the ingredients shine. He might use a dab of soy or a sprinkle of salt or a little yuzu but its minimal. We experienced the differences for example between Russian Uni and Japanese Uni. The experience is very personal with Yasuda holding court and he's very funny and engaging. It was a big change for us after so many meals where we couldn't talk to anyone. We learned a lot and had fun. Worth every $.