“The God of Sushi is here”
Review of Sushi Bar Yasuda

Sushi Bar Yasuda
Ranked #27 of 10,880 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Hong Kong, China
“The God of Sushi is here”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

What an amazing experience! As has been aptly shared by others Yasuda is an otherworldly experience at a comparatively reasonable price in Tokyo. I am not a sushi expert - I like it but rarely crave it - but I have to say this was an experience that compares to losing virginity.

Watching him, speaking with him. listening to him and eating his creations is something we will never forget. One of my daughters and me had the 10 piece set which included salmon, snapper, salmon, tuna, sardine, squid and scallop. I would never order squid, sardine or scallop but I would definitely consider it now. I can't even describe the taste of each piece - like clouds of dense beauty atop the most wonderful rice ever. Yasuda san said many times that sushi is about the rice, not the fish.

If you are in Tokyo and can get a spot here I would highly recommend!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Matthew F

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
“A fun night with my old friend Yasuda-san”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The dinner here was more fun than an excellent experience. I have been a long time customer of Sushi Yasuda in New York and was saddened when Yasuda left to return to Japan. It was great to see Yasuda again in Japan. I was a bit surprised to find all of the customers on the night I was here to be all foreigners. Later Yasuda would explain that almost all of his customers are foreigners. On to the sushi meal. Yasuda-san was talking a lot throughout the meal which was fun but somewhat disrupted the flow as he doesn't have anyone helping him other than his wife who works the floor. She seemed a bit overwhelmed and the place is pretty small. The sushi was really good though with highlights being the different types of uni and the eel. Yasuda-san is a bit of a character and is super opinionated. Sometimes the conversation was a bit too much but I had a blast. You can get a better serious sushi experience at the top places in Tokyo (despite what Yasuda-san will tell you). I will say the prices here are quite fair for what you get.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank jwobkk
New York City, New York
“best sushi i've ever had in the world...”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I'm sitting in Narita airport waiting to board my flight back to NYC and while I sit here nibbling on the ANA lounge's poor excuse for sushi, I can't help but reflect on the amazingly insane experience I had this past Saturday night dining at arm's length from Yasuda-San. I had a business trip planned to HK and decided to tag on Tokyo when I learned my sis in law also had to be in this part of the world. I have flown through Narita many times over the years but never had the occasion to actually stay in Tokyo and visit the city for more than an airport layover!

It turns out I was home Xmas even watching TV and came upon an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show profiling Sushi Yasuda in Tokyo. (Not surprisingly similar to the other people's posts on here!) I immediately googled it and put in a reservation request for my upcoming visit. Never in a million years did I think I would have a confirmed reservation at one of the top restaurants in Tokyo, especially on my first visit, but I did, and boy was this an unbelievable experience to remember!

Besides the obvious personality and performance of Yasuda-San behind the 8 person intimate basement sushi bar was the incredible level of taste, quality, and delivery of the "omikase" style meal. I've traveled the world and have eaten in some of the best restaurants but never have I ever had such a memorable sushi dining experience as this one. I cannot wait to come back and get my "fix" of Sushi Yasuda!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank jkoff
San Francisco, California, United States
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My GF and I had to try this place after seeing it on Anthony Bourdain's show. My friends who visited the restaurant back in NYC also gave it multiple glowing recommendations. Fun Fact - Chef Yasuda was famous in NYC for having banned tipping in his restaurant.

We had to send an e-mail to book a reservation, and it's a fairly small restaurant so they said they would only honor the reservation if we were able to confirm it the day of via e-mail or phone, so be aware if you're flying in the day of the reservation like us!

The venue sits 8-10, and the only "employees" inside are the man himself (Chef Yasuda) and his wife, who acts as both the cashier and the waitress. The venue was full when we went in, with multiple other smaller parties. The restaurant was slightly harder to find because of it's size and basement location.

We ordered the 12 nigiri piece tasting menu with one roll, and ordered several more nigiri pieces afterwards based on his recommendation (more uni and other types of toro); our favorite was definitely the uni, but everything else was quite exquisite - the toro, hamachi, salmon, saba, etc. The scallion sushi was very interesting and quite flavorful, and the tamago was also very tasty and sweet, unlike the omelette-like tamago you find at most other sushi joints.

We asked for sake recommendations, and he recommended a very smooth sake from his hometown in Chiba prefecture. You can pick your own sake cup! We also tried a stronger, unfiltered Nigorizake towards the end of the meal which was also excellent. Drinks were not overpriced/marked up (considering the restaurant's high-end nature).

One of the best parts about the experience was the conversation; Chef Yasuda speaks English fluently, and he would teach us about the fish he is using and the methodology he used/uses to prepare the sushi. We also asked for recommendations for other eats in Tokyo (he recommended an unagi-ju restaurant on 12th floor of the Daimaru department store near the Tokyo Station). He would also actively engage in conversations with other patrons as well, some of whom were clearly regulars.

For two, the bill came to roughly ~$180, including the drinks. Not cheap, but well well worth the money given the entire experience. Would definitely return if I return to Tokyo!

• Visited December 2013
5 Thank Deiaemeth
Los Angeles, California
“Best Sushi Ever”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

After seeing Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown highlight a meal at Yasuda, I decided a visit was was in order on an upcoming visit with my son to Tokyo. I made a reservation through the Yasuda website and got an immediate reply and reservation. We took a cab to the restaurant from the Tokyo Hilton as finding the location can be a bit tricky. Glad we did. We arrived a few minutes before our 6pm reservation and were warmly received by his wife. Yasuda welcomed us and asked if we had any dislikes and then proceeded to feed us the best sushi ever non stop for the next 90 minutes...sea urchin fron Santa Barbara, toro from Ireland and on and on with an ending of a nori wrapped omelette. We were completly full. Yasuda is masterful in his preparation and movements. A gracious host and an experience that will always be remembered.

• Visited December 2013