Dai-ichi Hotel Tokyo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsshimbashi stationtrain tracksimperial palacepremier floorginza areawalking distanceseparate bathfrench restaurantminute walkthe main hoteltop flooryakitoriexcellent locationsubway entranceother hotelswestern breakfastpool and gym
Reviewed March 4, 2009

stayed there already 3 times for business, location is perfect, situated in Tokyo Ginza area, train and metro 3 minutes away, hotel very comfortable, spacious rooms, kind staff, very good restaurants in the hotel, will definteley return

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I was inclined to stay at other hotels with a more western name but lucky for me my instincts are mostly write. My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying here in mid Dec. for a week.

We arrived at Narita Aiport just beat from the 16 hour plane ride. But, there was no time to relax. I recommend you either take a shuttle bus for 30 U.S Dollars or buy the Suica Pass and Narita Express train combo for 35 U.S. Dollars. We took the Suica pass combo because if you stay in tokyo for more than three days it becomes a pain buying day passes every day. The Suica passes are also rechargable(cash only) but it is easy to replenish in any subway office. The Narita Express train takes about one hour to get from the airport to Tokyo Station. Once you get to tokyo station don't fear just ride the wave of people and find your way out. we arrived in the middle of rush hour and it was a mad house. Just find your way out and hail a cab to the hotel. The cab ride is close but it'll cost about 13 dollars. Note: Cab fares in Tokyo start at 6 plus dollars and increase per every quarter mile, even while idle.

Once you enter the hotel, reception greets you with a smile and make every attempt to be helpful. The looby has a large coffee and smoking lounge were all the Japanese salarymen meet for work/ personal related exchanges.The top floor has a restaurant overlooking Ginza which is beautiful to see. You should experience it once and only once due to the hefty hotel prices.

They gave us a room overlooking Tokyo Tower and it was beautiful. The rooms smell a little like smoke because there are designated smoking rooms throughout the floors. Make sure to ask for a non-smoking room but odds are they all smell a little. No worries because after a while the smoke smell goes away. The rooms are big by Tokyo standards and are very clean. The maid service is exceptional and they make every effort to accomadate.

The subway system in just a 2min walk down the block. In the beginning you might be a bit overwhelmed by the subway system but after a few days you'll be using the lines like any other Tokyoite. Ask the concierge for help with your travel arrangements. They are very knowledgeable and helped us out tremendously. I really advise you to use them because their help is spot on.

Food, where should I start. I can't because in every corner there's a restaurant and nik nak shops that you could eat in. I suggest you wander the streets as we did and take your little translation book. You will find great food in places you would have never imagined. It is very safe to walk the streets, so no worries. Japan has a very low crime rate and that relates to the organized fashion. Although ,you might see a few foriegners getting rowdy depending on where you go (Roppongi).

I would stay here again in a heartbeat and I am somewhat picky about my hotels. Enjoy your stay at the Dai-Ichi. May it be as pleasant as ours.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank worldtravlertoo
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We spent 5 nights at the Dai-ichi in Oct. I spent a lot of time reading reviews before choosing a hotel. We were so pleased with our choice. I booked through Hotels.ca and paid 225 Cdn/night including taxes. This did not include breakfast. The room was big, pretty and extremely clean with a king bed and large well-equipped bathroom. The hotel staff was wonderful. The location was great. As other reviewers have said the Shimbashi station is a block away. You can access it underground. There are about 5 restaurants in the hotel. The prices seemed high to us. We spotted a 24hr McDonalds from our window the first day when our clocks were turned around. It was really appreciated (good coffee, friendly service and classical music). There are many restaurants within a few blocks. We particularly liked a Thai place called Bangkok Kitchen. We booked 3 full-day tours through Viator.com. They were Sunrise Tours. We were picked up in the lobby each morning. It couldn't have been easier. The tours were well run and informative. We did Mt Fuji, Nikko Park and Panoramic Tokyo. Take a warm jacket if you go to Mt Fuji or Nikko. Just a couple of blocks from the hotel is Hibiya Park where you can enjoy a stroll and some quiet time. I would love to spend more time in Tokyo and if we do it will be at the Dai-ichi Tokyo.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank bevwynn
Reviewed October 17, 2008

We recently stayed twice at the Dai-Ichi for a total of five nights in September of 2008. We were surprised at how far our money went - I was worried about the quality of hotel for our budget of $200 US per night.
The Dai-Ichi was in a fabulous location - less than 2 blocks from Shimbashi Station. We had a JR Pass and were able to access all areas of the city by using JR lines. Shimbashi is just two stations south of Tokyo station on the JR Yamanote line. Use the Hibiya exit and look up to the right. You will see the high-rise hotel on your right.
The staff was excellent - from the front desk to the bellman we had fantastic service. An English newspaper was delivered each morning and CNN and BBC were available . An in-room, 50 minute massage was 5200 yen (approximately $50 US) which I considered very reasonable. La Paranza, the Italian restaurant next door at the Annex, had fantastic pizza and steak and room service was much cheaper than we anticipated.
We stayed on both sides of the hotel during our stay. The left side of the hotel (facing the front) was quieter, but the right side had better views of Tokyo Tower.
7-Eleven was around the corner, where we were able to use our ATM card, and McDonald's was between the station and hotel. The Sony Store at Ginza was a 10 minute walk, the Electronics District at Akihabara was a 10 minute train ride, the Sumo Stadium at Ryogoku was a 20 minute train ride, and Shinjuku and Harajuku were 30 minutes away by train.
I highly recommend this hotel for the service, location, and value.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GlobalAdventuresTrav
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Any time I go to Tokyo I would stay here and have raved about it to anyone I hear is going to that city. We could not fault the hotel and in fact did not want to leave the room after arriving from a rather less salubrious trip. The hotel feels luxurious. Large room, scrupulously clean and the service is great . We just loved it. The cost seemed incredibly reasonable considering this is Tokyo! The hotel is fairly central and is certainly an easy walk to Ginza and its bright lights. Have a bit of a look at the side streets nearby as there are lots of interesting eateries. We had never been to Tokyo but it was easy to get to the hotel from Narita. We had missed the direct bus (via the airport limousine counter) but they put us on the bus and then delivered us to a taxi that took us straight there. Well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple