“Overadvertised”

Ranked #21 of 110 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
“Overadvertised”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The entire hotel is way too dark, the front desk and lobby employees are rude and poorly trained, couldn't make any international calls, we sat in the virtually unlighted room for two hours before we could move to a room with decent lighting, their location requires a taxi to get to anywhere, their website says 1 km to Ebisu Station and in reality they look incredulous and say need taxi and drive for 15 minutes, no airport shuttle despite being a Sheraton in the vicinity of the airport shuttle route in Tokyo, unimpressive management overall and their rooms are overpriced. It was so appalling that we got in at 4pm the first day and left quickly after breakfast at 9am the next morning. The manager there did give us free temporary cell phones and room service dinner to compensate for the faulty mechanics.

Room Tip: Rooms come in about four or five grades, and the worst of these grades has only dim sunlight and ver...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo_Santa, Manager at Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I also thank you for taking your time to write to us.
We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience due to the bad services received from our front and lobby staff
I also share your feedback with all front and lobby staff for the purpose of reviewing each work.

Your feedback of poor illumination in the whole building enables us to target problem area for the next refurbishment.
For the time being, we provide guest room with table lamp or other kind of lightning sources on request.

Further, I amended hotel access information in web site and it is true that it takes 10 min to Ebisu station by taxi. I really apologize for this mistake.

Actually our hotel has airport limousine bus service 12 times a day to/from Narita Airport and a few services a day to/from Haneda Airport.
You can both board and alight airport limousine bus just in front of our hotel entrance.

We appreciate your sincere feedback and hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed here three nights in October 2013 as part of almost two week long business trip.

Positives:
- Hotel room was substantially bigger than typically in Japan
- Nice big plants in the room made it feel less "hotel room" and more home like
- Rooms were in average shape, not super new design but from 90's. Maintenance was average as some (but not too much) wear and tear was visible.

Negatives:
- Hotel is in the middle of residential area and there are no restaurants or shops at walking distance.
- Food at hotel restaurant was below average. I had Australian stake which turned out to be very poor quality meat not cooked well.
- Breakfast service is available in very small restaurants. During my second morning I was not able to have breakfast at all as the restaurant was full and I did not have time to wait 15-20 minutes in line to get breakfast. Having traveled on business now during almost 20 years this is the first time ever when I've not been able to get breakfast at the hotel.

While my room was positive experience I will not stay here again as hotel restaurant quality is bad and restaurant capacity is too small.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jarkko S
Tokyo_Santa, Manager at Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
I also thank you for taking your time to write to us.
It is with great regret that you were not satisfied with our food.
We are sure all of the foodstuff here is carefully selected in conformity to the various food regulations of Japanese and western standards.
I will share your feedback with our Chief Chef for the purpose of improving our cooking and reviewing food ingredients.
We are extremely sorry that you gave up waiting for the breakfast seat available. Our peak time in the morning is around 8 am on weekdays.
There are three restaurants offering breakfast and we also have room-service breakfast, however, it rarely happens all the seats are taken.
We strive to take the necessary corrective measures for the purpose of eliminating congestion status.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

poor poor poor. Poor location, service levels are lacking and lastly, a crazily smelly room. It's not the cigarette smoke smell, it's just a bad smell that seems like a mixture of sweat and dirt.

SMELLY! I can't live in smelly rooms! I don't know how I'm gonna survive the next 3 nights here.

The worst choice of stay ever in Tokyo for me. Wasn't expecting this for the price I paid.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank postedbycharline
I also thank you for taking your time to write to us.
It is with great regret and concern that you had a bad experience caused by bad smell in your room.
I asked the housekeeping manager to investigate the cause of bad smell and to remove it immediately.

We strive to provide the best possible service and experience to all of our guests, however I deeply sorry that our service level fell below your expectations.

Our hotel is located 4-5 minutes’ walk to the nearest subway station and we operate free shuttle bus service to the JR Meguro train station(5 min journey) every 15 minutes.
Additionally, there are grocery stores, one coin shop, various kinds of restaurants and the more within walking distance from hotel(7-8 min walk) and our concierge introduce any shops and restaurants suitable to guest’s taste and budget.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel is in Minato-ku and there is a metro station about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. There is also a shuttle bus service. It is not centrally located but still easy enough to get anywhere. The trendy Roppongi area is only 3 stops away. The service and hospitality, like anywhere in Japan is just excellent and the staff makes you feel like a VIP at any time. I got a room upgrade and the room was extremely large for Tokyo standards. Also the hotel is very well priced for what and where it is. The Japanese restaurant was very good as well. The M Bar in the lower level is very cool. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tokyo_Santa, Manager at Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your staying at Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo.
We are pleased to hear about your positive experience at our hotel.
As you commented, we have shuttle bus service from hotel to Meguro railway & subway station. (Every 15 minute) There are so many restaurants, bars and shops around Meguro station. Our excellent concierge teams prepare for various kinds of maps, information and advise the best dining and shopping plan.
Also we hold Sheraton Social Hour in our bar from everyday from 17:00pm to 20:00 pm. You can enjoy Starwood’s Specialty Select Wine by the glass from the excellent winery all over the continent.
We hope you will remain a valued customer.

Redmond, Washington
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here for couple days of my business trip. About 90min from the Narita airport and took the limousine bus. The room was comfy and they charge about 15 USD fee for using their gym. It was strange..

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I also thank you for taking your time to write to us.
There is 12 times airport bus service/day to Narita airport. It costs JPY3000 for adult and it takes around 2 hours.
As for your commentary regarding charge of gym, our health club is mainly open to local memberships.
Please understand that this facilities is not exclusive for hotel guests and we charge both local members and hotel guests the usage fee or SPG point, however SPG platinum member is given free access benefit

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Except for being on the SPG program, I won't have otherwise consider a second stay in this hotel. The room is dated and dim, the train station is quite a distant walk away. The only consolation was when I was given access to the health center, which is quite a good outfit. I always enjoy the Japanese bath. What I found surprisingly unhelpful was when I checked with the Hotel on airport transfer prior arrival. I was told to use the train. Imagine having to hold on to luggages and change trains 3 times to get to the hotel, not forgetting the long walk from station to hotel!! Thankfully when I checked at the airport on arrival, there is a airport coach that goes to the hotel and at a very cheap fee too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I also thank you for taking your time to write to us.
It is with great regret and concern that you had a bad experience while staying in my hotel.
We are refurbishing guest rooms little by little. We finished guest rooms on the 5th and 6th floor last year.
Furthermore, we are upgrading our guest rooms little by little.
As you already know, our hotel is located in very quiet and safe residential area with a lot of green. we have free shuttle bus service from hotel to Meguro train & subway station. (every 15 minute) And there is 12 times airport bus service/day to Narita airport. It costs JPY3000 for adult and it takes around 2 hours.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Shanghai
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Fast check in and fast checkout! I've never seen another hotel with such streamlined processes before.

Regarding the metro stop, which another reviewer mentioned, there is actually a closer one than Meguro. It's Shirokanedai station, right up the hill, about 5 minutes away. I find the Tokyo metro quite convenient ... So location is not a huge deal.

Is the neighborhood quiet? Absolutely, but that is part of the charm. That said, there are a couple 24 hour markets near the Shirokanedai station if you'd like something after hours. Plus, the nearby Tokyu grocery store has decent takeout if you don't want to spend the big bucks at the hotel.

Breakfast is simple but quite good. I think the coffee could be improved but that's a small complaint.

Check out the M bar downstairs. I find it to be a hidden gem -- great for a private conversation over a drink.

As for the gym, it's functional. The pool is a proper 25m lap pool, but I find the water temperature to be a bit too high.

All in all -- while it's a bit of an older facility, everything is well maintained and it's the service that keeps me coming back. I stay here 6-7 times per year. I'll be coming back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tokyo_Santa, Manager at Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I also thank you for taking your time to write to us.
The live Jazz performance in our lobby lounge is very popular among our guests.
Our hotel is located in one of Tokyo’s rich residential area so it is true that it is 7-8 minutes’ walk from the hotel to the nearest 24 hours-open convenience store.
We operate free shuttle service to JR Meguro station leaving about every 15 minutes and I recommend to use this shuttle for your shopping and dining out.
Our concierge prepare for various kind of maps, information so please get the advice there before you go out.

Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 81 in Shinjuku
Grand Nikko Tokyo Daiba
Grand Nikko Tokyo Daiba
#11 of 110 in Minato

Been to Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!