1,831 results
All reviewsmeguro stationshuttle busspg platinumbamboo loungecafe californiashuttle servicejapanese gardenhealth clubthe hotel offersclub loungenice gardenchinese restaurantquiet locationnarita airportupgraded roombusiness travelerconcierge desk
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel twice. Once for 7 nights and another stay for 1 night. I am also a SPG Platinum.

During my 1st stay, the service received at front desk was mediocre. I wasn't explained my Platinum benefits and a question about receiving an upgraded room (per Plat bennies) was just met with a yes.

Room
The room received was upgraded to a Deluxe (I believe). However, this is not the normal Platinum upgrade. After 2 calls to the Service Express line, they finally got back to me 20 minutes later to explain I'd have to move 3 times in order to get the normal upgrade. They also offered a smoking room instead. This was obviously not going to fly but they also didn't bother to explain this to me at check-in. Arguably, there are a ton of weddings during the weekend we were there and that was probably the reason. However, I'm surprised they didn't proactively explain they were sold out rather than hope I wouldn't notice.

The deluxe room itself is smallish for this level of hotel. While larger than the Sheraton Miyako Osaka, it was of a "regular" size compared to the Westin Tokyo. Furnishings looked dated and the bathroom was quite small. The bed was a bit softer than what we're used to. As a Platinum, internet is free.

For the bathroom, the shower reminded me of those old "navy shower heads" for those of you who know what I'm talking about. Definitely not the Heavenly Shower I'm used to. All toiletries (and extra toothbrushes, comb, etc) are included.

During my second stay, I received an identical (Deluxe) room. Seeing that it was only for 1 night, I didn't bother to make it an issue.

Restaurant (Shi-sen)
As a Platinum, the breakfast buffet at Shi-sen is covered every day. There were the average Western choices as well as a single dimsum choice. Also included are breads and fresh fruit. Overall choice was decidedly average. There was enough but got boring after a few days. Definitely far fewer choices than the Westin Tokyo. There was one problem for breakfast - my wife had a piece of plastic in her Iberico ham slices. We brought it up to the manager and he apologized. More importantly, after that incident, we noticed the way they displayed the ham indicated they were much more careful with this.

Bamboo lounge
From 10 am to 8 pm (I think), Platinums get free drinks at the Bamboo lounge. There are smoking and non-smoking sides but there's nothing really separating the two. While Japan is making an effort at more non-smoking places, this obviously doesn't shield the non-smokers. As for the free drink menu, it's a condensed version of the regular drink menu. It's got enough for non-alcoholic but there was a clear lack of a wine selection. We were there twice and service was very good both times.

Shuttle bus
There's a shuttle bus that leaves every 15 minutes from the hotel. In the early morning, it's a drop-off service only to Shinagawa station and after 10 am, it's a return service to Meguro station. This was definitely convenient and we never found the shuttle to be completely full - even though there were obviously some locals who used this shuttle as well. We would often take the shuttle to Meguro and back for dinner. I found this much more convenient than using the Sky-walk at the Westin Tokyo.

Other than the hiccups at check-in, service from everyone was excellent. It's probably what saves the hotel. There really wasn't a lack of English skills. The Concierge is truly excellent.

Overall thoughts
There aren't that many Starwood choices in Tokyo and it's either the Sheraton Miyako or the Westin Tokyo. While there are some aspects that I found better than the Westin, I would rate the hotel itself as "3 stars" while the service gets "5 stars". That averages out to "4 stars". However, if the Westin Tokyo is around the same price range, go for the Westin. It's a far better hotel.

Tips
1) There's a great discount liquor store at Meguro station called Nishikawa. Just beyond that is a Family Mart and a little further than that is a discount drug store - Ippondo.
2) For Meguro station, make sure you also check out the East exit as there are quite a few shops and restos on that side.
3) At Atre 2 (Meguro station), there are quite a few good restos. There's also a great kaiten sushi place.
4) If you need to go to Haneda, you can make your way to Shinagawa station and take the Express train (500 yen). The train takes about 20 minutes. An excellent deal.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Braindrain
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Our checkin was accelerated by SPG status and was friendly and efficient. The rooms were adequate to smallish in size. The decor was a bit dated but the rooms were clean and quiet. The rooms were no smoking however there was a pervasive, mild cigarette smoke smell/taint most of the time in the hall ways (up through the elevator shafts?). The rooms were free of that odor however. The food at the hotel was good, one restaurant being a blend of Japanese and Chinese food choices. This food was 3-4/5 in quality, flavor, and choice. A separate restaurant (California) was much more 'foody', being eclectic and sophisticated in style and quite good, 4-5/5. The large lobby lounge was enticing however usually in such demand that competing for seating got old quite fast. Additionally, while there was a non-smoking section, the entire large lobby lounge seating area was laced with smoke or the smell of smoke. We did not try room service. Maid service was good. The Hotel offers a free shuttle to a nearby train station (Meguro) which allows one to go anywhere rather quickly within the Tokyo area. The station is actually easily within walking distance through a quiet and safe neighborhood. There is a nearby 7/11 for access to an ATM (Japan is surprisingly more cash centric than I anticipated). There is also at least one nearby neighborhood grocery store which is well worth 30 minutes of shopping even if one doesn't buy (you will). The concierge service was just about the best I have ever experienced...ever! They helped us plan a week or travel, lodging, activities, etc and were so joyous to do so it was a real treat working with them. The non-Asians at the hotel (about 15% of clientele) were predominantly on business. The Sheraton Miyako was a great value and I would definitely stay there again despite a few short comings as above.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank WillMyWifeGetSick
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We booked a deluxe room and thought it was very nice with a comfortable bed. It seems to me that no place in Tokyo is central to everything and it seemed to me the buses provided by the hotel made it good for connections. There is a post office and a 7-11 nearby so finding an ATM that worked for US travelers was easy. We used the shuttle to Shinagawa twice and the one to Meguro often since there are many restaurants in and near the station. Getting back to the hotel by taxi from Shinagawa is only about 850 yen so that added to the convenience as well. The staff at the hotel is great. They managed to get us a taxi at 3:30 to get to the fish market and were always there to answer any questions. They have a nice map of the restaurants in the area and near Meguro station if you ask.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the gardens
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2011

The staff is extremely helpful and professional, but the hotel could use some upgrades for the prices charged compared with other Tokyo hotels.

There is no in-room Wifi. iPad/iPhone users beware.
There is a Gym but it is $20 to use it, each time. If you want to go twice in the same day you pay twice.
Rooms are nice but not fantastic.

Plus - Excellent western breakfast and shuttle service to train station.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2011

As a former long time resident of Tokyo, I find that the Miyako is just right for me. 20 years back this was considered one of the top hotels in Tokyo, now replaced by the 60,000 yen a night palaces downtown. But I can usually book a very nice room here for under 20,000 yen, and I am rarely disappointed. A very quiet location, but just a short taxi ride from Shinagawa Station when you arrive on the NEX, and close enough to where you need to be. The shuttle bus to Meguro Station gives you access to all of the Yamanote Line, and a late night taxi ride from the fleshpots won't break the bank. There is a nice little supermarket about 10 minutes walk along Meguro Dori, if you are cheap like me!

Room Tip: In my experience the cheapest rooms are a bit blah. Go for "Superior". Still not too expensive.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business