“As wonderful as I hoped it would be”

Hilton Tokyo Odaiba
Ranked #13 of 108 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Toronto
“As wonderful as I hoped it would be”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Spent 5 nights here beg of April. Had always hoped to go to Japan during Cherry Blossom time and fortunately timed it just right. Biggest challenge in planning trip to Tokyo was finding a hotel that would take family of 4 in room (husband, wife, 2 girls ages 13 and 9). Location is important to me and even though it cost a bit more to take the monorail into Tokyo everyday, it was worth it. Daiba is a great area to be with kids with nice walkways along the water, and having the mall next door with many eating options was great. We are a very middle class "Holiday Inn" type family, so this was more luxurious than we are used to. We booked a triple room, which did have 3 beds but not much bigger than a single in Canada. I didn't think we could really afford to eat at the hotel but we got a great discount booking online, with breakfast included. I paid an extra 20.00 per night (per room) and the price at the hotel was over 30.00 per adult and 15.00 per child so it was well worth it. We were issued 3 breakfast vouchers per day, and I had assumed that my youngest daughter was free. The first day, nothing was said, but the second day, we were told we had to pay for her. I explained that she was included in the reservation and that we had not had to pay for her the first day and they said, fine, don't worry about it. The third day, nothing was said but a card was left on our table telling us to see the cashier on the way out. I asked one of the waiters about it, explaining that we had already handed in our vouchers and my daughter was included. He took the card away, and said don't worry about it. The fourth day, nobody said anything about her. So, it seemed like the staff didn't really want to have to deal with it and just ignored it when it was brought up. One of the best things about the internet is being able to read reviews from other people who have been there. So, we knew ahead of time that the kids couldn't use the pool and my husband and I wouldn't pay extra for it so we never even saw it. We also knew that the cost of a rollaway was outrageous, so we packed a sleeping bag and asked for an extra pillow and blankets upon arrival. My youngest daughter thought it was kind of cool to sleep on the floor and the room was extremely clean. One note about the TV - yes, all the channels are in Japanese and CNN is dubbed but if you press the "bilingual" button on the remote control, it mutes the dubbing and you can listen to the original broadcast in English. Tokyo is not a very attractive city, but the view from our balcony was spectacular. We were glad to have a balcony and sliding door as the room always seemed hot, no matter how we adjusted the thermostat so we slept with the sliding door open a crack every night. Overall, it was a beautiful hotel in a great location and I'm glad we stayed there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Looette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Stayed in a regular Queen room, was expecting something small and very basic....what a suprise to get a huge, modern room, with the most amazing hotel bathroom I've ever seen. Housekeeping does an amazing job (I do not believe for one second that the below poster did indeed experience stained carpet - it just wouldn't have happened).

Staff - fantastic
Spa - fantastic
Dining - fantastic

Beautiful buzzing lobby with amazing view. Fantastic location (especially for anyone considering staying with kids, not as hectic and bustling as the main streets of Tokyo).

Have travelled the world, nothing beats this experience. Will be returning in 18 months time for our wedding!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
gumasx
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I stayed 9 nights at the Hotel Nikko Tokyo and was disappointed with the room condition, service and overall attitude of the hotel. A 9 night stay at a 4.5 star hotel is a long stay by any standards, and is usually treated with some graciousness like a welcome message from the hotel manager or a nice gesture of hospitality. Instead the Ocean View room overlooked a gravel rooftop. Yes, there was a view of the water from the corner of the room, but the room location was way less than ideal. Many of the Ocean View rooms have beautiful balconies overlooking the entire bay area but our room overlooked a hotel wall and the unattractive rooftop for much of the glass area. The rate, based on a 7+ night stay, was to include breakfast as well as internet and spa admission. Only the breakfast included in the rate covered the two adults and not my 2 young children ages 9 & 11. We were not informed of this until presented with a bill at breakfast. It was not stated in the rate explanation when booking the hotel. I have stayed at Nikko properties before, and chose this hotel specifically because I enjoyed excellent service in the past including the breakfast option. When traveling as a family this is a nice feature and a good way to start a day of sightseeing. Breakfast included the entire family -- 3 children plus two adults. It was not limited to 2 adults per room. I think if a rate includes breakfast, then it includes breakfast. If the rate does not specifically state that it is limited to two adults, then there should be no question. And frankly, I find it offensive to just cover some guests. When I asked for assistance from the hotel for accomodation on the breakfast for the children, I was told to pay for them. I explained that if the rate included breakfast than it is a reasonable conclusion to expect that all of the guests would be covered. That was met with silence. No one followed through on the matter over the course of 6 days. The breakfast coupons are dated so they can not be combined to have a family meal on some days and other days make different arrangements. As the breakfast option in the rate was a big plus in booking this hotel, I found the lack of accommodation or compromise unsettling. There was also a 7000 JPY charge per night for an extra bed for one child. That added $702 to the room charge. I find that to be an outrageous sum of money for a rollaway. The room carpeting was badly stained as was the hallway carpeting. I am not referring to small stain in a corner, but a 2.5 foot long spray of stained carpeting in the main area of the room. Yes, the room was clean, and yes I was greeted as I walked through the lobby as I would expect to be. But frankly, I am greeted the same way at the Hampton Inn and Marriott Courtyard so I do not find this to be exceptional service. I am perplexed as to the reviews on this site regarding the Hotel Nikko Tokyo. I found the service substandard and the overall attitude towards customer satisfaction lacking. I have traveled extensively and do not expect fawning or freebies but I do expect a level of graciousness from a 4.5 star hotel that is supposedly known for outstanding service. And I find it incomprehensible to place a guest for a 9 night stay in a room with what has got to be the worst view on the property. I would expect a room in good condition with a gracious view and a welcome from the general manager thanking me for my choice of hotels. I will not stay in a Nikko hotel again. There are far too many competitors in this city and elsewhere. I found the location for our purposes to be excellent as I was attending something nearby, but other than that there are far nicer experiences to be had. And most importantly, as a guest if I have a legitimate request such as breakfast included for all of the paying guests, then I expect satisfaction on this matter. Perhaps a compromise, but at the very least some action. The hotel finally provided two extra coupons for the last two days but only after I made a third request. The mall next door does not open until 11 a.m. so breakfast choices are quite limited in the vicinity. You can take the Yurikamome line to Shibashi or Shindome and find food, but that is not quick or convenient. One last note, babysitting services are extremely expensive, at approximately $45 US an hour. The sitters were lovely mature women that were warm and extremely kind to the children. I found them to be attentive and exceedingly polite. However the rate is higher than I have ever experienced at any hotel including many 5 star properties. I loved Tokyo, but my suggestion is to stay at a different hotel.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank gumasx
Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I echo everyone's positive reviews regarding the cleanliness of the rooms, the professionalism of the staff, and gorgeous views. IMHO the Aqua Zone is well worth the fee charged and my favorite part of the hotel - Rainbow Bridge views from the outdoor bubbling/soaking pool, the terrific stone walkway IN the pool if you want to walk rather than swim your laps, the indoor massaging soaking pool (strong jets and you can sit or stand), the fireplace, the dry and steam saunas, and the locker and shower facilities. I thought about it all day as we toured the city and couldn’t wait to return to soak. I am not used to paying a fee for using a hotel pool but this one was well worth the fee – give it a try.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in early February. The hotel was not really in our budget but we were lucky enough to take advantage of the 50% discount that Hotel Nikko Tokyo was offering. Our King Size Ocean view room cost us roughly $200 AUD a night. I've read a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor and I don't know how this hotel could be given anything less then 5 stars! It is a wonderful hotel. At full price, it isn't your cheapest hotel but it is worth every dollar. The room was huge, especially in Japanese standards. The bathroom was lovely, granite bench-tops, huge shower and bathtub. The bathroom amenities were lovely and were actually for sale in the hotel lobby. The room had all the luxuries of a high class hotel. Robes, slippers, pjs, safe, HD LCD, sitting area, comfortable king size bed and plenty of room for 2 big suitcases. Our room was serviced everyday, and the cleanliness of the room was top notch. The staff were always polite and attentive. They helped us book tours, get us tickets to shows and attractions, and were possible took us to places. The staff would always ask specifically how our day was and did we enjoy the place they helped us book which I thought really showed their attentiveness to detail, especially considering we didn't speak Japanese. All the staff spoke decent English and it was considerable easy to communicate compared to other areas of Japan. The SPASEN and pool area you have to pay to use. Now people on trip advisor have rated this hotel down for that. We had a massage which allowed us complimentary use of the AQUA Spa/pool area of the hotel. It has to be one of the best pool/spa/relaxation areas I have ever seen & experienced in a hotel in a major city. If you didn't have to pay to use it and if under 18 year olds were allowed in this area I can certainly say the experience wouldn't be the same. Considering you pay so much, maybe you should have to book in a time when you would like to use it and then the hotel could keep numbers down in the AQUA area that way. But nevertheless it is a facility I recommend you use if you stay at the hotel. The hotel isn't in the heart of Tokyo but it was surrounded by a few great shopping centers. Aqua City, Decks and Venus Fort. There was also a lot of great places to eat at these places again. The food at the hotel was very expensive and there was a lot of quality eateries in the shopping centers next to the hotel. The cost of going to and back from the centre on Tokyo on the Monorail which stops right at the hotel is slightly high considering the comparable length of the journey on the Japan rail system. The fact we weren't in the busy and built up area of downtown Tokyo was great. We had the magnificent view of the rainbow bridge and the ability to see and visit Tokyo without being forced to stay in a tight, small and busy hotel. Overall the hotel is great and you will not regret staying here. On a side note, it would be good if Japan in general had a English speaking channel on their TV networks. Even CNN was dubbed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tkostas
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I love Tokyo, but didn't want to stay in the thick of things, so this hotel offered a nice option. It's a really a nice place to escape after enjoying the excitement of the city.

Upon arrival, we were given a room that wasn't quite what we expected. We booked a room with a view of the bay, but the view we had was of another building and admittedly if you bent your head a little you could see the bay, but that's not what we bargained for.

We went downstairs and asked to speak to the manager. After waiting a few minutes, we we directed to a somewhat befuddled gentleman who indicated, as far as I could understand, that he was the manager. We explained our displeasure with the room, but he didn't seem too concerned after confirming that we booked through a "travel agent" (his words -- it was actually hotels.com). He wasn't scoring any points with me and I think the woman behind the front desk realized what was happening so she offered to get us a room that would be more pleasing.

After about ten minutes, she returned with a key card to another room and escorted us upstairs. This room was much better, it had a full view of the bay and bridge. We were happy! Another plus, given that the weather was nice, the rooms have balconies. Also, the rooms themselves are nice sized. The beds are comfortable, they provide (upon request) hypoallergenic pillows, ample closet space and pretty much all the toiletries that you could need (shaving kit, toothbrush/tooth paste). All in all, a nice place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank david_k001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Grand Nikko Tokyo Daiba
The Prince Park Tower Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 108 in Minato

Been to Hilton Tokyo Odaiba? Share your experiences!