3,505 results
All reviewsshiodome media towershimbashi stationartist roomfish marketmt fujiqueen roomhotel startswalking distanceminute walkginza districttower viewfrench restaurantabove groundfamily marttsukiji markethama rikyu gardenshigh rise
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Got here through HRS Booking and felt amazed by this Shiodome Tower Hotel having a reception on the 24th floor. Reasonably sized and well appointed rooms for one person...comfy toilet and ultra available porters and luggage assistants that brought me to come back three times during my Japanese discovery tour..
Toilet amenities good but limited tv channels availability.
Beware of the Japanese restaurant expensive and not outstanding..

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Priv_Dis_Lux
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I was in Tokyo for 4 nights for a family trip with my parents and siblings. The Park Hotel Tokyo is an excellent location. Near 2 train stations, within walking distance to Ginza shopping district and located between Roppongi Hills and Shibuya. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and large by Japanese standards.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Travel_Sh0es
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights. The staff are lovely and the rooms are clean, not very spacious, but modern with everything that you would need. There is free high-speed internet in the rooms which is really helpful too.

The location is good, walking distance to Ginza and literally 2 minutes out of the door to the subway with direct links to Shinjuku and Roppongi. However, it is quite a business district. The hotel seemed mainly for business travellers as there were quite a lot of business meetings going on in the lobby restaurant.

The hotel is costly, £180 per night, but is clean and modern so we had a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leicester_Girl
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I took my wife, our 2 year old daughter and my wife’s parents to a 10 day trip to Tokyo and Kyoto. I have put up my photos on my website, Shuweb, so if you want to see photos, and more importantly, links to key information about Tokyo and Kyoto destinations, please check out my site. You will also find that I’ve done similar travelogues for other destinations.

The Park Hotel Tokyo is an absolute gem – it is the perfect hotel for the business person or a couple looking for a relaxing, quiet time in a high end setting. That said, we took our 2 year old with us, and she enjoyed the stay too (just don’t let her run around and shout in the main lobby, because the voice will echo due to the high ceiling).

Location
The hotel is located on the 25th floor of the Tokyo Media Tower, and occupy the top 10 floors. Because of this, the hotel has a staff who will greet you on the ground floor and take your luggage upon arrival. Alternatively, you can take the elevator up to the lobby on your own. Either way, it’s quite high up there and the elevator ride up is sort of interesting. And as for location, it is about a 7 minute cab ride from the Tokyo train station. Just tell the driver that you want to go to the Park Hotel on the Tokyo Media Tower, and they’ll take care of the rest.

Our room faced downtown, so at night we saw the glowing lights of busy Tokyo. It was rather nice. We had a second room (for our parents) which faced the waters – you can see the Hama Rikyu Garden and the Tsukiji Fish Market out in the distance (about a 10 minute walk; more on this later).

The hotel is interconnected with the surrounding hotels, which makes it really convenient (called the Shiodome City Center). If you exit the hotel from the third floor, you will find that there are bridges that link the buildings. There are several restaurants in the adjacent buildings, including some high end restaurants (we went to EN, which is located on the 42nd floor. Excellent food and service!) and some regular restaurants (noodles, curry, etc.) that business people go to during lunch and dinner. You will also see that there is a direct connection to the Shiodome train station (non-JR) just steps from the hotel.

If you go to the underground floor, you will find a whole new world down there. From here, you can connect to the other Shiodome buildings, but in addition, you will find book stores, cafes, CD store, convenience stores, etc. You will also see that there is an entrance to the subway, in case you want to go to Harajuku or the Meiji Jingu Shrine (maybe a half hour ride on the Oedo line).

If you walk even further along the underground passageway (maybe 15-20 minute walk? Not sure anymore), you will find the JR station. Here, you will find the familiar Wing Department store, which is basically a sea of smaller shops and restaurants that sell absolutely everything.

If you resurface to the ground floor from the JR station, you will find yourself minutes away from downtown Ginza. Ginza is the Rodeo Drive of Tokyo. Find the main street of Ginza. There, you will find a row of skyscrapers with major brands… and no car on the main road.

Lastly, if you want to check out the Tsukiji Fish Market, get up at 5:30am and start walking toward the waters. It’s a 10 minute walk, but just note that the Fish Market doesn’t have a giant sign that welcomes tourists (I think the fishermen actually hate tourists). Eat breakfast at one of the small sushi restaurants located in the Fish Market (from the hotel, go past the big grey Fish Market building, turn right at the gas station, and turn right again after you see a small temple display. Walk down a couple of minutes and you will see a swarm of tourists. You are at the restaurants). As for the Hama Rikyu Garden itself, don’t bother.

So in summary, location was good.

Room
We had a triple on the 27th floor, which meant that there were 2 beds plus a third bed, which was a convertible sofa. These beds had comfortable, fluffy down feather blankets. The carpeting was nice, the bathroom was just fine, the TV had several channels (yes, people, this is Japan, so you primarily get Japanese channels!), and slippers that they have in the room were nice. This is a non-smoking floor, and I didn’t smell a bit of smoke. I really can’t complain about anything.

The service was excellent. Their staff speak English, and in a country in which good service is the norm, they were terrific. And they carry it out in such calm and tranquility that you would not see in larger hotels. Breakfast buffet is served on the main floor (25th floor), and again, it was rather quiet. Because we were a party of 5 including a 2 year old, they pretty much gave us our own dining room. That was nice.

I’ve read here on Tripadvisor that their service is snooty. Could it be that it’s a cultural misunderstanding among the tourists? I speak both English and Japanese, and I didn’t find them snooty (and neither did my wife’s parents, who are not Japanese and don’t speak a word of it)… in fact, the opposite. My impression is that their professionalism can come across as snooty for the non-Japanese who don’t understand Japanese “office culture.”

Lastly, we arranged a bus to pick us up to go to the airport (about a little over an hour ride). The cost is around $30 per person, which is about what you’d expect to pay for the service. Just make sure that you reserve the bus ride at least a day in advance.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
10  Thank Shuweb-com
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Sorry, wrote this ages ago, but lost an upload and forgot to repost! We initially booked via the hotel’s online reservation system, but I ended up emailing to see if it was possible to get the 4nt+ discount on a 6nt split stay. It was and they offered us a good rate on a queen room plus discount breakfast tickets.

Our taxi driver used the printed out map I had to locate the hotel, so I agree with others – it’s best to take an address/map – preferably in Japanese – as not all drivers we used knew it.

As per other reviews, our welcome was warm and impressive. We’d requested an early check in and were relieved they could do it, albeit very discreetly as the guests in front of us had to wait until the standard 2pm time for their room.

We were really impressed with our room on our first stay. Good size, lovely amenities and amazing view. Couldn’t see Fuji cos of clouds, but Tokyo Tower was fun to watch by different lights.

Although Shiodome is away from the main tourist sights and in a business district, it does have its advantages. The skyscrapers themselves are a sight to behold and it’s brilliant watching all the comings and goings of the trains and people. Also, all the main attractions are really easy to get to from Shimbashi station, which has excellent connections to metro and the JR Yamanote Line. Also only 2 stops away from Tokyo station which makes onward travel much easier.

The map and directions we got from the hotel weren’t brilliant and we did get lost finding Shimbashi on day one and finding Tsukiji fish market on day 3. But once you work it out, it is really easy to get around.

We ate in the hotel for breakfast and a couple of evening meals. The Japanese breakfast was amazing – exquisitely presented and filling. Think we were the only westerners in there most times. Western breakfast, however, is very average. We had the ‘casual kaiseki’ meal a couple of times, which was a delight for the eyes as well as a feast for the taste buds. Excellent if you fancy a treat without going out after a long day of sightseeing or travelling.

From our experience, the staff were discreet, rather than overtly friendly. And I was rather disappointed by our second stay. People say they were given bigger greetings on their return trips, we didn’t. In fact, our room wasn’t ready by 2pm and we didn’t get the queen room we had agreed, but a very small single for double occupancy. I wanted to complain and change, but my hubbie was ill and just wanted to sleep and have no fuss.

Airport transfer was easy peasy – we used their Airport Limousine Bus, arranged very easily through concierge. We thought we’d have several pick ups but it went directly from Park Hotel to the airport and took less than an hour.

One more thing, would also recommend the ‘Zen’ restaurant in the basement of the media tower. Very lively with excellent service and food to match – we loved the tempura set meals.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple