“Strong performing hotel in handy location.”
Review of Park Hotel Tokyo

Park Hotel Tokyo
Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Townsville, Australia
“Strong performing hotel in handy location.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

A well located, functional and attentive Tokyo hotel. Great views of the skyline from reception and in our room. Breakfast of a good standard and rooms whilst small were well designed. Staff spoke a useful level of English too.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Superb hotel, with excellent location. Located near Ginza shopping area, also to Shinbashi station that connects with many lines. Fantastic view from the hotell. Incredible helpfull staff, and nice, big clean room :) We'll be staying here again for sure!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Sam C
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We enjoyed the stay at the hotel. What impressed us most, were the tremendous views of Tokyo from the hotel rooms and the lobby.
Size of the rooms was also great, as compared to Japanese standards.
One should also mention that the location of the hotel is extremely convenient - Shiodome and Shimbashi stations are just round the corner. Moreover, a gorgeous park is located within a 5 min walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the view over the park.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zudohna
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ok so this review is more about how to navigate the hotel and the city than the hotel itself. Let's start off with before even getting to Japan...

GETTING TO THE HOTEL: I'm originally from Chicago, but I was visiting Manila in the Philippines before going to Tokyo. Unlike in the Philippines, English speakers are a a bit harder to find in Tokyo (with the exception of hotel staff in my humble opinion). With this in mind I wanted to make sure my husband and I knew exactly where to go, what to do and how to get to the Park Hotel Tokyo the moment we stepped foot off the plane in Tokyo. So we did our research before hand. There are three ways to get to the hotel:

1) Taxi: The obvious and most common way to get from an airport to a hotel for someone who is not familiar with an area is to take a taxi, and we could have. Except, after quite a bit of research to figure out how much the taxi trip would be we found out it would be a little over 30,000 Yen!!!! (Roughly $300 USD at the time). There was NO way we were going to pay that much. So we explored our other options.

2) Train: We could have taken a train but it would have required transefering trains and walking the rest of the way by foot to the hotel. Overall it would have taken roughly under 2 hours of transit time. Overall price would have been between $40-$60 USD. Definitely better than ~$300 USD for a taxi ride. But after a 5 hour plane ride from Manila, and also because we didn't want to lug our luggage around in a city that we were unfamilar with for 2 hours we decided to see if there were any other options.

3) "Airport Limosuine": Finally, the last option we stumbled upon was also the best option for us. There is a service called "Airport Limosuine". Essentially this is a shuttle bus from the Narita airport that will take you from the airport to the doorstep of the hotel for 3,000 Yen/$30 USD in under an hour and a half. I believe you can buy tickets online (just google Airport Limosuine, Tokyo), but you can also buy it right at the Narita Airport (Or Haneda Airport) right after baggage claim, before you exit the airport. You cannot miss it. The way it works is that you pay $3000 Yen per person and the shuttle will take you (and any other customers) to the doorstep of the Park Hotel Tokyo, and will possibly make a couple other hotel stops along the way (depending on where the other customers on the bus are staying). When my husband and I went we had one other stop before Park Hotel Tokyo, and it was at the Conrad in Tokyo. All of these hotels are within a 2 minute walking distance from each other so really it was no big deal at all. Overall we chose the "airport limosuine" to take us to the hotel as it was the cheapest, pretty quick and most stress-free option. The shuttle bus was comfortable, AC-ed, and had recliining seats so we could sleep the hour and a half away.

This is jumping ahead, but two things to note: (A) you can also pay/arrange to have the Airport Limosuine/shuttle bus drop you back off at the airport whenever you depart. (B) Using this service from the Haneda airport is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Narita-- don't quote me on this (make sure you look it up online), but if I remember correctly it was under 1000 Yen( ~$10 USD) to and from Haneda.

AT THE HOTEL: Ok so what you need to know (that tends to confuse most people) is that the hotel itself is between the 25-32nd floors of the Shiodome Media Tower. So, when you get dropped off at the hotel, you may think at first that there was some mistake since as soon as you walk in it looks like a business buliding with no sign of a hotel anywhere. I already knew this walking into the building so I knew what to expect and how to get the hotel. Basically this is how you get to the hotel, its actually quite simple if you read this review first ;):

1) As soon as you walk through the main doors (where your luggage gets dropped off and you get off the bus) take a look to the front and to the right. You will see a florist shop. To the right of the florist shop you'll see glass doors and a sign to the left of it on the floor that says "Park Hotel Tokyo".

2) Go through those glass doors and take any of the elevators up to the 25th floor. This is the main lobby of the Hotel. As soon as you get out of the elevator you should be able to see the check in desk to check into your room :).

CHECKING IN THE ROOM: Many other reviewers on Trip advisor suggested asking for an upgrade of room to be able to see Mt. Fiji and Tokyo Tower. We wanted to opt for it but we didnt want to pay the extra 1,000 Yen ($10 USD) for a room that we were basically going to just be sleeping in. We had a standard queen room, and it was a good size for a hotel in Tokyo, but overall small by most standards. It was a comfortable sized room, though my husband felt that the bathroom was quite small. The beds are a little firm. But this is more of a standard find in Asia (It was the same in all of the hotels I was at in the Philippines). There was a mini-bar which we didn't use but emptied out all the beverages so we could use it as a fridge. English was a little bit of a hinderance, but managable in comparison to the rest of Tokyo. Food was expensive at the hotel and portions are already tiny in Tokyo (in comparison to the USA haha), so we only ate at the hotel once. It was for the breakfast buffet in the main lobby that is about 2,100 Yen (~$20 USD) that had a few continental items, and lots of japanese items.

A few things to note that I enjoyed:

1) the hotel provides free razors, shavign cream, hair brushes and wash cloths in addition to the standard toothbrushes, toothpaste, soaps, shampoos, conditiors, etc etc. These are replenlished everyday :).

2) REALLY good shower pressure.

3) Their toilets. I LOVED them, as I did most toilets in Tokyo. Each toilet has a seat warmer with adjustable temperatures and bidets/'shower' with adjustable water pressure.

4) Take the elevators down to the "Subway" level and walk out and follow the hallways (it doesn't matter if you take the right or left path, they merge anyways). Go through the revolving doors and to your right you will see a "Family Mart". This is a convience store that is very helpful and economical when you don't want to spend $25 for a small room service pizza.

GETTING AROUND TOKYO/THE AREA: As mentioned before, English speakers are not that easy to come by in Tokyo, and for the most part, its not too big of an issue so long as you are willing to do a little research on your part before hand. You can ALWAYS ask concierge in the main lobby if you have any questions. They have really helpful maps that are in english (like the train station line). A few things to note:

1) if you chose to walk to Ginza (an upscale part of Tokyo that can be compared to Michgan Ave. in Chicago/Magnificent Mile) then take the RIGHT elevator down to the Yurikamome level (3rd). and take the 1C exit down the stairs and walk to your right. This is the main street for the Ginza district and you will find stores llike Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Shiseido. You'll also find stores like H&M and Zara. There are also bakeries and pastry shops that can be found along the way. Sometimes we would get lucky and find some items in these places written in english on the placcards but most of the time we would just point at what we wanted, hold up the number of fingers that was equivalent to how many we wanted of something, and then shortly after an employee would show us a calculator with the total we needed to pay in Yen (helpful note, not all these places take credit card, so always have Yen on you).

2) Tax is built into prices. So if something says its 1,000 yen. It's a 1,000 yen. No need to add some sales tax. Also, tipping is not a practice that is normally done in Tokyo.

3) Because a good majority of the places don't have english menus, my husband and I tended to eat a lot at Roppongi area. Specifically Roppongi Hills (Consider it the Rodeo Drive of Tokyo). We didn't plan it on purpose, it just ended up being every restaurant we searched for online that we liked and that had an english menu was in Roppongi Hills. Lots of foreigners tend to go here, and for good reason. You can get all sorts of cuisines here (Italian, French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Latin, American, Burgers, Steakhouses, Crepes, Pastries, Pizza, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, etc etc) and they pretty much always offer two menus-- one in Japanese and one in English. Roppongi Hills is surrounded by the Metro Hat, Mori Tower and a few other buildings that have english menu restaurants. I'm pretty sure you can find all of the restaurants/stores within the area in english online-- google is your friend!

4) The subways. Your BEST friend. There are mulitiple subway lines that are owned here that owned by different companies (as opposed to Chicago, in which the government owns the train line). As a result of the competition, trains are clean, comfortable, AC-ed, always on time (if not early), and run every 10 minutes MAX. Most everything is within the area, and a one way train ride is anywhere between 160-210 yen (~$1.60-$2.10 USD). They offer one day and two day passes that allows for unlimited rides within the time frame for the train/busses on certain lines (I think it may be 1,000 yen for 1 day? Not sure, make sure you double check!)

I think I covered everything I needed to. If not feel free to message me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in which you can see Mt. Fiji and Tokyo Tower. Corner rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
25 Thank Mz M
Denmark
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Great value for money

Good location

Do not expect 5 star service. Rooms are average, nothing special
Staff is very helpful and nice

There is free internet. Did not try the food at the hotel
Concierge is helpful and trying his best but will not be able to guide you to the latest spots to go to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mcristo
Sao Paulo
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 12 nights in June 2013 and it turned out to be a superb experience. Hotel is very well located near Ginza, Tsukiji market and a short walk from Shimbashi metro and JR station.
Rooms are good sized compared to japanese standard and very well equiped and clean.
But the best about this hotel is the attention of its staff and, in specific, ms. S. Sugihara, from the front desk/concierge. She is an example of employee all hotels should have with its attention, will to help and sympathy.
The only negative aspect to mention is that room service offers a so-called pizza that is really small and is only tomato sauce with some few and small chuncks of cheese on top for USD 20!!! Run from it and get something to eat on the covenient Family Mart on B2F floor.
Me and my wife would definitely return to this hotel in the future!

Room Tip: Any room has majestic views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Belga_SP
alwayssuperstylin
Reviewed June 18, 2013

A well appointed hotel with excellent amenities and service. Rooms are adequately spacious and come with great views.

Language barrier can be an issue at times. I didn't have a room service menu in the room so I called for one. A staff showed up promptly and attempted to barge into the room despite my protest that he shouldn't since my girlfriend was in bed. He then handed me an old torn up menu and insist that I return it! I asked him to leave since I was annoyed by the episode. I called to speak With the duty manager, who wasn't at his desk. I never got a call back either. Within 10 minutes however, a new menu was slipped under the door.

The bar is excellent although expensive.

Didn't eat at the hotel since the surrounding options are phenomenal.

The lobby in the evenings are a bit silly with 2 projectors steaming some cheaply put together animations on a wall. Should stick to artwork like the rest of the hotel.

I am well travelled and work in the hotel business so I am very fussy.

Final verdict. Will I stay here again?YES I will, most definitely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alwayssuperstylin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
Shinjuku
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 82 in Shinjuku

Been to Park Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!