“Nice, but tired hotel”
Review of Hotel Okura Tokyo

Hotel Okura Tokyo
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Feb-13 we paid the same price to stay at the Conrad Hotel in Tokyo. We picked this hotel for a change, and because the Conrad is a little bit out the way. We stayed 4 nights as part of our holiday and at the weekend the area, which is mostly surrounded by embassy's and buisnesses, was quiet but always felt safe. The Okura was more central and accessible than the Conrad, really close to 3 subway stations each on a different line so it was easy to get everywhere in Tokyo: Roppongi-itchone, Kamiyacho & Toranomon. The Conrad is made up of 2 buidings linked together by an underground passage, so for us staying in the newer building, we were 3 minutes walk to the first 2 stations, but close 10 minutes from the third. Once you work out all the different exits from the hotel, as it is a bit of a maze going up and down in different lifts, then it also makes getting to each station easier. The staff at check-in were very friendly and helpful, they gave us an early check-in by 1 hour, and I thought the hotel felt more relaxed than the Conrad. Apart from these 2 points I thought the Conrad was better value for money, as for the price of the room I would expect a luxury hotel and the Okura feels very tired and in need of renovations. The room was really large and clean but felt old fashioned and tired. The bathroom had a few things that would have been easily changed to give it a more modern feel, like the removal of a rusty stool(?) and yellow looking rubber bath mat. The shower was also very average and just fixed at one point on the wall. On the plus side you do get Sheseido toiletries and free wifi in the room. The negatives are really quite minor points and overall the location was great for us and I enjoyed my stay. If it had been first hotel I had stayed in Tokyo in this price range my review would probably be different, but I think for the price you can probably get better value somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jenniveve200
Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was in Tokyo on business and spent five days at the Okura. My room was always immaculately presented everyday, the service from all area's of the operation from check in to check out was outstanding. Our tourism and hotel operators here in Australia should do themselves a favour and stay here for a few days and see how it should be done.
I have previously stayed at some of the newer places nearby but will most certainly be returning to this hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Carl G
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed in Okura for business, for one week. The hotel is quite old fashioned, but still pretty good in terms of service and quality. It is in the heart of the city, well connected to anything. Recommended if you are looking for old style elegance. Rooms (mine at least) was bigger than Japanese standards.

1  Thank TheMakkions
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Great service, facilities and F&B outlets are a given for any Tokyo 5-star hotel and the Hotel Okura offers all these.

What it has that nobody matches is a completely different atmosphere.
It was originally designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the early 60's and I'm pretty sure nothing has changed much in the common areas. The rooms and bathrooms have been modernised though.

This is not to say that it feels old. On the contrary.

Everything is in perfect condition and feels like it's been built only a few years ago. It's just that it feels like we are walking on a set of Mad Men.
We were always half expecting to see Don Draper walk across the lobby.

Room Tip: Check which wing you will stay in before you arrive. This will save you quite a bit of walking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArnaudDubai
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I was in Tokyo for meetings and a symposium this February and our hosts booked us at the Hotel Okura's South Wing, which was also the venue for our activities. I understand that it used to The Hotel in Tokyo and I would agree that there would be many newer or updated (renovated) hotels. However, the hotel retains a certain mystique and sentimental ambience that you probably couldn't get in other hotels so many Japanese still choose the hotel over others including for activities like seminars. The hotel is conveniently located a few minutes walk from the Namboku Line and Hibiya Line of Tokyo extensive metro system and you can take the Airport Limousine bus to and from the hotel for Narita or Haneda. The surrounding area has many restaurants, a grocery, convenience stores and a 100 yen shop is nearby. It is also near many embassies including the US embassy just across from the hotel. I liked my room, which had a comfy bed, a tub, an interesting toilet and high speed internet. The buffet breakfast is okay but could be better compared to the 5-star hotels I've stayed in before. Service from the staff was excellent.

Room Tip: It's usually better to book directly from the hotel's site as prices change quite frequently...
1  Thank d0ctrine
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Okura Main Wing 17th -22nd Feb on business. The Okura was obviously a Grand Hotel in its day (I believe it was built in the sixties) but these days is looking a bit tired and in need of a makeover.
On the upside, the room was reasonably spacious and well equipped, although no sign of an ipod dock which you find as standard in the ANA Intercon or the Hyatt. My room on the 8th floor had a distinctly 'retro' feel to it with brown shades of decor and was nice and quiet.

The hotel has a main building and an annex (the south wing) which can be reached by an underground walkway. Sometimes a bit confusing when trying to get dropped by taxi.
Service was very good although the level of english of most of the staff I met was a bit marginal.
The breakfast restaurant I used (The Terrace) was really not big enough and there was a 5-10 minute waiting time for a table, not what you expect in a top end hotel.
Location is fairly central within 10 mins walk of a subway station(Kamiyacho). There's a 7-11 convience store with an ATM which accepts most foreign cards very close by(no ATM in the hotel). The hotel is on a hill so be ready for a bit of a climb on your way back if on foot. Very close to the US Embassy if you need it.

If you're looking for something a little old fashioned with a Japanese feel then the Okura is for you. If you want something modern and stylish then think again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back upper floors are quieter.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

They are friends who consider this hotel old-fashioned and boring. I put that down to ignorance of Japanese aesthetics, tradition and taste. As I am an admirer of the pared-down elegance and refinement which is so quintessentially Japanese, I consider the hotel one of the few Tokyo hotels still preserving and defending this tradition. It is an honourable and gallant effort to be supported.
I first stayed for a month in this hotel some 35 years ago, and each return has been a source of pleasure. My latest return last month, January 2014, was no exception. My weeklong stay allowed me to appreciate it even more, and to eat my way through its various restaurants. While not top-ranked, those restaurants offered excellent fare, from the sushi bar to the cafe-restaurant to its Highlander bar and teppanyaki cuisine. Having so many meals in the restaurants made the hotel even more of a temporary home for me, as though I was simp[ly eating in my own dining room.
It is a source of marvel to me that in an age where almost all 5-star hotels turn their lobbies into money-making tea-lounges ( neglecting, in the process, the in-house guests' need of a comfortable armchair in the public space ), the Okura has maintained its two spacious lobbies as oases of calm and comfort for the in-house guests and their friends. This represents a loss of revenue for the hotel, so kudos to the owneres and managers for respecting tradition and safeguarding the distinctive zen-like tranquillity of its open, public spaces.
My two suggestions are that it provide a second armchair in the room and offer a choice of pillows, including down ones.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 5_starhotellover88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Park Hotel Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#4 of 78 in Chiyoda

Been to Hotel Okura Tokyo? Share your experiences!