“Too overpriced bad food”
Review of Hotel Okura Tokyo

Hotel Okura Tokyo
Ranked #8 of 117 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Went during summer and like everywhere else in Japan A/C was minimal. One would think with a 5 star hotel that wouldn't be an issue but it was and our stay wasn't that comfortable. More spacious than the average Japanese hotel but u pay for evey extra inch. Food at the restaurant was disappointing.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarlDah

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Okura Tokyo. The location was good, but not great - Toranomon is a quieter area of town, across from the US Embassy. I think I would have preferred staying in either Roppongi or Shibuya areas of Tokyo.
The hotel seems like it is stuck in 1980s. It is wonderfully maintained though and extremely clean, but just dated. The pool and spa were both very nice, but could probably benefit from being modernized. My other problem was that we requested non-smoking rooms, but they were definitely smoking and it was not nice waking up to the vague smell of smoke coming from the neighboring rooms. It only happened one morning, but it was still not pleasant...
I liked the hotel overall, but I think that it was way overpriced - too expensive for the value it was offering.

Room Tip: My friend stayed in the South Wing, which was apperently more modern and non-smoking.
2  Thank lbak19
Reviewed November 1, 2012

RECOMMENDED but just: This my 2nd visit to this property. To set the stage, you nearly anticipate to see James Bond as you turn the next corner. The setting of this property is from the 60's and like the Queen Mary, the Okura plys the waters in a regal and stately manner.

The hotel is located near to 3 metro stops, but sadly there is scant little in the neighborhood to do/eat, it's pretty dead at night. I don't think I'd recommend this for a tourist visit for this reason alone.

If you have business in the neighborhood, then this is a fine choice. The Okura caters to the numerous nearby embassies and the crowd is mostly older and nearly everyone is in a business suit (so not a hip trendy sort of place). Even when running at full capacity, the hotel is nearly dead quiet.

Having said that, the rooms are comfortable though everything is slowly aging (gracefully). Service is over the top and they run around eager to cater to whatever desire you may have. Cheap though, it is not.

If I have a negative, the American breakfast buffet is not befitting the hotel. Something is missing though I struggled to identify exactly what. My group complained mostly about how the eggs were cooked. The hotel recently added Wi-fi and it's free throughout the hotel (a nice addition).

The short is -- if you're placed here have nothing to fear, the staff and hotel will take good care of you.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

When in Tokyo I usually stay either in Gnza, on Tokyo Bay or in the Shinagawa area as there is a lot to do in each of these locations. This time, however, the arrangements were made on my behalf and I went with their suggestion - Hotel Okura. This is a very nice, quiet hotel - very quiet despite its size - which I would highly recommend for someone who does not like the glitz and bustle of some of tokyo's other areas. The hotel is a nice oasis of calm and elegance. I had a Deluxe Room which was very nice and suprisingly spacious. The food in the hotel was good and not crazily over-priced like in some Tokyo hotels. The hotel is walking distance to Hibiya Park, the Imperial Gardens and the area. I really enjoyed Hibiya Park which had a current exhibition on Japanese gardens. All in all a very good hotel for a quieter, business-oriented stay in Tokyo.

Room Tip: The South Wing seems a little quieter to me...
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I love the Okura for its architecture, its spaces, its general athmosphere. I was here the last time approx. 5 years ago and would not have chosen another hotel to come back to. However, this time I was disappointed by the general service mentality, that does not meet the standars one would expect in this range. We had a reservation for three nights and wanted to extend for a fourth night. There was space, but they asked for an extra 4'000 because it was a Saturday. They refuse to do a computer print-out for their guests - you have to rent a printer in the business centre and then pay by the page - stuff like that. No big deal, but nagging details which makes you feel as though you are in a big business machine rather than a special guest of the house - and that is what a luxury hotel should be all about...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Enjoyed my stay at the Okura, but got off to a rough start. Had to change rooms after checking in, as the first did not appear to have been cleaned properly, and took a long time for the staff to retrieve my luggage and switch rooms. Glad I changed, though, as the bathroom in the second room appeared to be much larger, with a separate shower/bath combination.

Upon departure, took the bus back to Narita, and was all a very smooth and comfortable trip. Only had to make 1-2 stops.

Overall, the Hotel Okura Tokyo is a nice enough hotel. The staff was very friendly, attentive and helpful. The buffet breakfast was excellent, and overlooking a nice garden area. I will stay here again if/when I travel to Tokyo in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our first visit to Japan. We enjoyed every second and minute of our stay there. The Okura staff are very professional and nice. The lobby is is beautiful. It is very obvious the staff have pride in their hotel. The hotel is very clean. The room we stayed is nice and the bathrooms are amazing! The breakfast buffet was our favorite. We ate there the whole week we stayed at the Okura. We would like to go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank g-N-gAdventure
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Park Hotel Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#5 of 78 in Chiyoda

Been to Hotel Okura Tokyo? Share your experiences!