1,680 results
All reviewssouth wingmain buildingorchid barmid centuryembassy areaclassic hoteljames bondjapanese servicehealth clubhibiya lineimpeccable servicerooms are spaciousbusiness centerjapanese stylequiet areahotel guestsan excellent hotel
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The hotel is gigantic and is as old-school as they come - from the very old-school Japanese decoration to the very courteous but a bit stiff service. Rooms are fine - decent-sized for Tokyo, and well-appointed. But the best thing is the breakfast - not only do you have a choice of 3 restaurants (I tried one of them, which was excellent), you can even get complimentary in-room breakfast! I had this for 3 days and it was delicious and convenient. That, to me, is a service I wish every hotel would provide...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife and I decided we wanted to finish up our Japan honeymoon with a little luxury, so we booked a few nights in this place based on reviews and its reputation as a "nice" hotel. Unfortunately, staying at Okura turned out to be probably the worst part of the vacation.

Despite paying hundreds of dollars a night, we were still nickeled-and-dimed by Okura for any use of the facility beyond our room. The pricey American-style restaurant was mediocre, with an uninspired salad bar that was barely a grade above Sizzler. Okura charged extra for use of the gym and for use of the pool. However, we opted not to use the pool after the Okura staff informed us that we would be required to cover our tattoos (she has a couple of small birds on her back and I have a paper crane tatooed on my bicep - tasteful stuff). We decided to stay in one night and watch movies and order room service. The room service was fine, but selecting a movie using the remote control and Okura's achingly slow, seemingly-ancient, crudely programmed system made us quickly forget that we were in one of the world's technological capitals.

I would absolutely recommend Okura if you want to deceive yourself into feeling like you're indulging in a luxury because you're spending a lot and surrounding yourself with uptight, stuffy hotel staff. You might also enjoy exchanging knowing glances with other travelers who have similarly paid large sums for their hotel stays. But if you want to have anything resembling an enjoyable experience, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms are better at other hotels.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank trvlrtrvlrtrvlr
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Everything you would expect for a large, well equipped hotel. Well situated and there is a high quality of service by hotel team members. As a large hotel, you do not get the 'quirky' things that a small, intimate Japanese style accommodation offers, however, rooms are well appointed, there are appropriate bath amenities and most important to me: it was quiet! This is not a hotel for budget travelers.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank UMworldtravel
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My hb/I stayed for 3 nights. The hotel looks regal, and I read too that it is one of the luxurious hotels in Tokyo. Service is really good and staff speak English (those whom I came in contact with). Room is spacious (not the usual Tokyo standard)! I did not check out the surrounding area as I would take a taxi to Shimbashi station everyday. Hb/I went to the 7-11 store nearby to pick up some stuff.
Breakfast was nice and I enjoyed my American breakfast (eggs which were freshly cooked). I really like Tokyo and I hope to return again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hovy9
Reviewed August 25, 2011

What the hotel has going for it is superb service [although do we really need a kimono-clad woman to press the button to call the elevator for you?] and very large rooms. it is close to two subway lines are is walkable on a good day to several lively restaurant areas.
I would not call this hotel stylish - the mid-century teak decor looks dated even to somebody like myself, who likes this sort of look. The floral hallway rugs are not helpful either. However, you should not stay there for the look of it. As far as scale, the hotel is very generous. The in-room WIFI should be free, I agree with other reviews in that regard. The breakfast is fantastic, if rather expensive. plenty of western style and Japanese style items to choose from. The garden view is exquisite.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business