“Excellent hotel with excellent service”

The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo
Ranked #6 of 117 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed September 20, 2010

InterContinental the Strings Tokyo is an excellent hotel with excellent service.
Although it was a little hard to find when initially arriving from Shinagawa train station (it is in fact linked by a covered walkway from the station but there are multiple covered walkways so I was unsure which one to take) once I was near the reception, a warm welcome from the staff was very nice.

There was a small wait for the room as the room was not ready so I was offered a choice of having a drink and a snack at the lobby bar or being given an alternative room while the room was being made up.

There is no actual club lounge at this hotel, and Club level services are provided in the lobby restaurant/bar. Soft drinks and little snakcs (nuts, berries etc) are available to Club Intercontinental guests free of charge in this area all day, plus evening alcoholic drinks. Service here was excellent.

The general decor of this hotel is modern and pleasant, with interesting wooden tones in the huge void area above the lobby bar area. The lobby bar area had an excellent range of spirits.

The room was not very large but of good size, and with a very good bathroom which had an unusual set up of a huge shower cubicle with a bath inside it (perhaps fairly common at Japanese hotels). Lighting level was good in the room and the bathroom.

There were also nice little extras provided within the Club InterContinental room, such as free drinks, free Internet access etc. The room, although not very large, had a nice, airy feeling to it, and felt very modern without being 'cold'.

It is certainly a good hotel with excellent service, with nice 'feel' to the place.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JM00321

Reviewed September 19, 2010

My partner and I stayed at The Stings for 3 nights in early September. After a grueling flight from the US and then negotiating the train from Narita to Shinagawa station, entering The Strings was like stepping into a cool, secluded forest. The contemporary, minimalist design (lots of natural wood, stone, and water features) is perfectly calming and just what one needs after coming in from the intensity of Tokyo streets and subways. We had a room on the 29th floor with wonderful views to the south and west (we could see Fuji-san), and although the room overlooked Shinagawa station and the rail lines, it was wonderfully quiet. Customer service is second to none and we were made to feel very pampered during our stay. The food in The Dining Room (breakfast) and China Shadow (dinner) was excellent, but quite expensive. Shinagawa is a very convenient location for getting around Tokyo as you have direct access to the JR Yamanote line, from which you can get everywhere and anywhere quite quickly. The only negative we could think of - and this is being very picky - is that the hallways on the room floors smelled slightly stale (as in long ago cigarette smoke) but it would be incorrect to say that it really bothered us. In short, we highly recommend The Strings as a base for visiting Tokyo.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bos2sea
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Hotel Intercontinental seems to have issues in Japan, I stayed at all of them out of brand loyalty and found them all to be uncompetitive compared with some of the other places I stayed in in Tokyo and further in Japan. As a woman travelling alone, I don't think they regarded my business very well. At the restaurant I was not allowed to order several things off the menu due to only being one person. At the bar I was not offered service at all dispite being dressed in business finery, probably due to being a solo woman, so I left angry at my choice to stay at this hotel, and angry I had cultivated brand loyalty with this chain after many years. The location of this hotel is great if you are taking the high speed or local trains, and there are restuarants and shopping in the area. Usually I find this hotel brand to be pretty nice, but I was really unimpressed and partially annoyed by the low level service and concierge desk was really weak.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank touristwoman
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I have stayed at The Strings from 31aug - 05sep 2010 and was very impressed by the more than excellent customer service everyone showed. I travel quite a lot but The Strings employees are the best I have ever seen. 200% customer dedication, everything runs smoothly and check-in and check-out procedures are extremly unproblematic. The restaurant serves top quality food. For my birthday I was even given a very nice present and a lovely birthday card. If you need a perfect place in Tokyo, The Strings should be your choice. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Arlette004
STRINGSICTOKYO, Guest Relations Manager at The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

Dear Arlette004,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and I appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your experience.

Your wonderful feedback was shared with our staff during our monthly staff get together and our team and I are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team all take great pride in creating a "Great Hotel Guests Love" and are constantly aiming to improve your guest experience with us.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo on your next visit to Tokyo, hopefully before your next birthday.

Ben Johnson
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2010

This hotel has an extremely convenient location right next to Shinagawa station, ideal for easy access to Narita airport, and Shinkansen and many JR rail lines, which are faster and better value than the subway. The once-drab station area now houses a number of new shopping and eating outlets, on the same side of the tracks as the hotel (the other side is still a bit dowdy).

The hotel itself occupies the top floors of a 32 floor office building, offering good views from all rooms. The xx0x rooms face the train tracks, good for train-watching, but resulting in a little bit of noise, while the 3 other sides are absolutely quiet.

The entire hotel is built using very high quality materials, more so than its sister hotels in Tokyo; this can be seen in the bathrooms, which combine quiet elegance and extreme function (e.g. shower drain is absolutely quiet).

While this hotel is usually quite expensive, I find it ideally suited for my needs, and very convenient for an independent visitor somewhat familiar with Tokyo.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank zig123
STRINGSICTOKYO, Guest Experience Manager at The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2010

Dear Guest,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantage of the great location, which we feel is the best and most convenient in Tokyo. Shinagawa has undergone major changes in the last few years, is now the 3rd busiest station in Tokyo with excellent access for Narita & Haneda airports, Bullet trains, Yokohama, Kamakura and the rest of Tokyo in general.

We take great pride in delivering a truly memorable guest experience. Between September 2010 - December 2010 our much awaited $225,000 television upgrade of 32-40 inch digital televisions throughout all rooms in the hotel will take place.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo on your next visit to Tokyo.

Ben

Reviewed August 28, 2010

I booked this hotel based on the excellent reviews on this site and, having stayed there, I am even more surprised at the occasional poor review. If this isn't a great hotel then I am not sure what the other reviewers are expecting. The staff were extremely personable, the rooms excellent and the club package a convenient way to start and end each day. I would recommend this hotel to anyone most highly and will definitely stay there next time we are in Tokyo.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ooshty

Dear Guest,

We have shared your feedback with our staff during our most recent staff get together and our team and I are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in delivering a truly memorable guest experience.

Between September 2010 - December 2010 our much awaited $US225,000 television upgrade will see 32-40 inch digital televisions throughout all rooms in the hotel,.

Ben

Reviewed August 12, 2010

The Hotel located just above Shinagawa station.
It is a perfect location for them who will need a major train access ex. Bullet train to Kyoto, etc.

During our last 2 days in Tokyo, we choose to stay at this lovely property for two simple reasons:
1. Its location - direct at the major shinagawa station
easier for us to plan our outside tokyo journey
2. Because of it's modern - 6 flrs (26-32), 205 rooms small boutique style appeal

We booked Club Intercontinental room - and has a beautiful corner premier room.
The room is about 38-40m2 (which is generous in tokyo standard).
We find the Club services is not so overwhelm in compare to their sister hotel ANA - which is worth way much more than this property.
One good thing is the complimentary mini bar for the club room (31-32 floor)

The room is lovely , modern & clean especially with its oversize window - offer a great city view of Tokyo. One small thing that i find a bit unpleasant is the TV - which is appear small the the normal standard TV in other 4 or 5 stars accommodation , and it was placed on the working desk on the rightside of the Bed - which make us so uncomfortable to watch it.

Overall stay was ok - All the agents are polite and very helpful , unfortunately there are some language barier - it appears that some of the agents has a problem to understand the comon question (ex. Could you pls inform me about the wireless connection in the lobby - ??? wireless ???).

I found this property is beautiful and every agents do their best to make the guest feel welcome and enjoy their stay - but certainly , it is not in the same level as four seasons, peninsula, or shangri-la ...

Will I be back to this property ??
Lets say - there are plenty of others to choose - and base on my experience there is nothing special or memorable during my stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luxadvisor

Dear luxadvisor,

Thank you very much for the review of your stay with us and we certainly appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your experience.

Since your stay we have implemented many measures to improve our guests’ experience whilst staying with us both in terms of “hardware & software”, and feel that our recent World Travel Award as Japan’s Leading hotel for 2010 reflects some of this hard work.

Between September 2010 - December 2010 our much awaited $US225,000 television upgrade will see 32-40 inch digital televisions throughout all rooms in the hotel. Currently over half of the rooms have been upgraded.

Staff training has also seen many of our colleagues given opportunities to aim higher and serve our guests better with English language courses, Customer Service training and involving all staff in comments such as yours to show the impact all staff have on our guests experiences with us.

While there are many options for accommodation throughout Tokyo, we hope that we can show you our commitment towards continuous improvement and hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback which we can use to meet your expectations and grow to great.

Ben Johnson
Guest Experience Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Park Hotel Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 117 in Minato
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
Ana Intercontinental Tokyo

Been to The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo? Share your experiences!