“Flawless (nearly)”

Ana Intercontinental Tokyo
Ranked #16 of 108 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
“Flawless (nearly)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you put aside the high price of everything (face it, if you accept the fact that there is a $27 room service burger, then you accept the pricing), this property is lovely. The staff is unfailingly polite and helpful. Beds: big and comfortable - I had a king, which can be a treat in Asia.

The room is big enough and well appointed. Bedding, towels and amenities up to snuff. The ability to get a decent amount of hot water and a nice soaking tub. An external coffee shop with the desserts of a French patisserie. I managed not to indulge but was up against it repeatedly. Missing: in room free water. It's not a requirement, but it is a nice to have.

Very cosmopolitan feel, and well appointed, clean spaces (of course, this is Japan, so what did you expect - as an example, I left my room key outside during a conversation - someone turned it in and then tracked me down...safe, lovely, kind...)

When you want to eat, and don't want something nearly as pricey, you have 10 or more choices right out the lobby door and in the little mall next door.

You don't even need to drink the $6 bottles of coke from your mini-bar, as there is a 24 hour grocery store out the first floor and across the parking lot. (I am not cheap, I just prefer to spend my money on better things than overpriced hotel food). There is good Chinese and Soup Stock Tokyo.

There are other hotels nearer our offices, but this one is in my top 5 for Tokyo.

Room Tip: the hallways are very convoluted, so it's not even a matter of choosing a good one as much as fi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cristene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Juan-les-Pins, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I decided to go to this hotel, for a change, in one of my rather frequent visit to Tokyo. I was definitely not impressed.

The first impression is good, the hotel is well connected with both airports and the lobby is nice. However, at check-in a very rude Japanese employee showed me a totally negative anti-gaijin attitude. I booked the hotel through a very famous web site, and set some preferences (such as non-smoking). I was told that a room as I wanted was not available, or it was but with a $60 supplement per night, as the preference setting was non-binding. The attitude of the employee made me feel to leave the hotel at once, but the situation was saved by another employee (not from Japan, this time) that in a flash found a room, supposedly according to my preferences.
I spend around 200 nights/year in hotels, since almost 10 years, and this is the first time I had such a bad experience at check-in.

The room was modern - in the eighties, maybe. Very cramped for that level of hotels (New Otani, Hilton, Sheraton, I mean ...). There was no place where to put my suitcase, just to tell you. The bathroom was tiny as well.

As I minor detail, I couldn't find any English channels on the TV, and the channels did not correspond to the printed notice, where the usual CNN, BBC etc, were listed.

Breakfast was decent but not exceptional.

Oh, and Internet is $15/day. Enjoy.

Overall, a disappointing experience. In Tokyo for the price I paid there are much better options. Definitely, will not recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank krotas
ANAInterContinental, General Manager at Ana Intercontinental Tokyo, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for identifying several areas where we can improve. We are surprised to read where you received such unfriendly 'anti-foreigner' service from our Front Desk. We of course will investigate the matter. Depending on what type or price of room you reserved, we do have rooms ranging from 22 sq.m. (a common design in Japanese standards) to 50 sq.m. and of course several suites which are larger. With 844 rooms we are well equipped to handle most booking requests.Again we are surprised that you could not locate any English television channels, we do receive a total of 10 to choose from.Thank you for your feedback.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

best location, extremely near to subway.
crazy generous spread of selection for breakfast
staff are always friendly and helpful
rooms are nice and very comfortable however typical of japanese hotels they are really small
highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here in April for a few nights and I have never experienced such hospitality as in Japan it is truely something different than Europe. In a good way that is. The check in was very fast and they upgraded me to the Corner Suite as it was complimentary in my royal ambassador membership. The food from room service was tasty, breakfast was superb and location was excellent. However, taxi in Tokyo can get quite costy, but they managed to get me a good deal with a taxi driver for a sightseeing tour around Tokyo. A special thanks to the lady at the Concierge desk for making my stay so great.

Room Tip: Corner Suite was excellent, had great views over the city
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Pokerstah
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Service,service,service. This is what this hotel offers. Excellent service,friendly staff and a fantastic atmosphere. The cocktail bar on the 36th floor with its spectacular views and with there 6pm to 9pm special " All cocktails.wine.spirits and beer " for just 4000 Yen. Thats just $ 40 Aust Dollars for an all you can drink... Fantasitc. And fabulous rooms, great steakhouse restaurant,The champange bar and many more features make this a must stay hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Huge room with a king size bed and clean bathrooms. Though I felt that Wifi is charged at exceptionally hefty price. Breakfast was good. They have a limo bus service from the airport and vice versa, which is extremely convenient. Couple of stations for you to get around too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ana Intercontinental Tokyo, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Mayaaaaa,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding internet charges. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is located 10 minutes walk from Roppongi station, and 5 minutes walk from Roppongi Itchome. There are a few other stations around, Akasaka and Tameike-sanno but we never needed them :) It's great to be close to several stations, different metro lines are run by different companies so your ticket may not always take you to the right station. It's good to have a few to choose from that are near the hotel! We had a great first night in Roppongi and then it was just a short stumble back home for a great nights sleep.

The hotel itself was almost perfect. We had a good sized twin room for the two nights we were in Tokyo. We didn't try the restaurants or gym, but apparently they are of a good standard. We had access to free wi-fi which is a huge plus. They DID ask for 100 yen to print out two boarding passes, but 100 yen is nothing, so it was a minor (really minor) trifle. More just the principle of the thing...

All in all a beautiful hotel with really friendly staff. When we arrived we had been assigned a king room by mistake which they changed to a twin room for us, no hassle. On the last morning the staff let us stay another half an hour after normal checkout time with no extra charge which was really nice. The NORMAL check out time is noon, which is already pretty generous :)

I will definitely be staying there again and would recommend ANA Intercontinental to others traveling to Tokyo.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Park Hotel Tokyo
#1 of 108 in Minato
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,747 reviews
Shinagawa / Gotanda
The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo

Been to Ana Intercontinental Tokyo? Share your experiences!