“bad attitude and updates”

Ana Intercontinental Tokyo
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This review is for hotel manager Jerome's awful attitude. In the matter of fact, I just checked in today. Instead of going out for sight seeing. I am sitting in my hotel room and writing this review. You can tell how upset I am.We prepaid over $5000 dollars two months ago for our hotel rooms. Today I landed first and my husband's flight would land three hours later.when I checked in, Jerome asked me to give him my credit card as a guarantee. I told him that my husband and his friend would check in 3 hours later and he could take their credit cards. Two rooms were already prepaid for 5 night. I can't understand why he couldn't wait for 3 hours. No, he just insisted that I had to give him my credit card and he kept telling me that a lot of guests left hotel without paying their bills.

Excuse me, our rooms were prepaid 2 months ago. I don't know what he thinks I will do in the next three hours. So I will forfeit $5000 dollars and leave.I traveled a lot and stayed in so many 5 star hotels around the world. Every time when I ask hotels to wait several hours and take my husband's credit card, they all have no problem with it except this one. When I told Jerome that I was very disappointed with his service and didn't think we would stay with this hotel again. He just simply told me that was fine with him.

This hotel was not our first choice, not even the second or the 10th. We chose to stay here simply because all hotels we wanted to stay were fully booked with IMF meeting hold in Tokyo. Now you know why when all nice hotels were fully booked and this one still had rooms. By the way, I just find a cracked sink in the bathroom. And Sauna room in this hotel is just for gentleman. This is just my first day, I can't wait to leave.

updates: I think I have to give some credits to the people who work at the top management office of this hotel. They read my tripadvisor review and responded to it very quick. Jerome apologized to me and put a bottle of wine in our room. We agreed to put this behind us. But I still disagree with the hotel policy.I trusted this hotel enough and let them take $5000 dollars out of our account two months before we even landed in this country. And they can't trust me for 3 hours. What kind of policy is this?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank April201333
ANAICTYOPR, 広報担当マネージャー at Ana Intercontinental Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear michelle121905

We respect that you have expressed your opinion, and we thank you for acknowledging our response to your initial review.

Sayuri Koga
Director
Marketing & Communications

Write a ReviewReviews (2,707)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed for four nights a few weeks ago. Location is a bit annoying, but close to a train station ( although you still have to work for 10 mins inside to get anywhere!)

I would recommend only if you have a budget, otherwise im sure they are better hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had booked this as a part of my corporate plan. it seems to be reasonably priced. I was on the 15th floor, which i would say isnt very noisy as it faced the road in front of the Hotel, i would recommend requesting for a Higher floor for the light sleepers...i was very comfortable...
the Room was quiet adequately spacious, no complaints there, the Bathroom was good.
though i didnt use the mini bar, it was adequately stocked.

would have loved to had Breakfast included in my room cost, i was offered 20% discount as corporate offer, but i chose to have my breakfast at the close by Starbucks.

the hotel is well located at the Ark Hills, which has a lot of restaurants and walkable distance from Roppongi Hills, i walked it out to Roppongi for the Tokyo View

again as Corporate offer, had free wired Internet and WiFi.

there's an ATM in the Hotel, but if you use AMEX, you can use the 7 BAnk ATM next to the Starbucks

I opted for the Airport Limousine Bus to narita which cost Yen 3000 per person.

Overall, like the hotel, will recommend it.

Room Tip: Explore the food near the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

expensive hotel, it doesn't have free internet access. the free coffee and tea was great the whole thing of the ihotel was almost complete, we found that the ducts in the bathroom was a little dirty. The room felt pretty clean and didn't smell cigarrettes. it has access to 2 subway lines and thats good. the airport limo bus stops at the hotel and it is convenient if you have lots of luggage. The staff is very efficient and their english is very good so they may have a slight superiority complex and I may seem ignorant to them but I was happy. will go back my wallet permitting

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental Ana for 4 nights at the end of September/beginning of October. The room itself was spacious, based on what we have seen for travel in Asia, and our view from the 28th floor was spectacular, including a great view of Tokyo Tower. We may have missed some views by not being on the "city" side of the hotel but it was quiet and the view was still great. The subway is less than a two minute walk from the front of the hotel, we used it to get to most of the major sights while in Tokyo. You can buy one day passes from the concierge for 600 yen a piece which is worth it if you are going to do a lot of hopping on and off. Each of the concierges we dealt with was helpful and had great suggestions for things to see and do. There are also lots of restaurants in the Roppongi neighborhood, which is between a 10-20 minute walk away. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would return to the hotel if we were ever in Tokyo again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fadochicago
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed twice on separate nights at this hotel in September in transit to other destinations in Japan. The rooms were spacious, super clean, comfortable and very well appointed. The rooms were very quiet, and no intrusion whatsoever was noticeable from neighbouring rooms. The staff was extremely helpful. I was able to leave one of my bags in storage for 4 days whilst I travelled light to another destination in Japan before returning, free of charge. I used room service twice, which was delivered very swiftly, was delicious and reasonably priced. I paid the equivalent of £200 for the room, excluding extras such as room service, minibar and note that internet access is not free, which is disappointing for such a prominent business hotel. This would be my one criticism. I did not eat in the restaurant, as there are more convivial and cheaper alternatives in the eatery couryard at the back of the hotel.

There is a shuttle service which is bookable to Narita and Haneda airports, it is advisable to book this service when you check in, to avoid last minute hick ups with lack of space. Note that Narita is at least a 90 minute ride from the hotel, and can take up to 2 hours in heavy traffic, the cost each way is 3000 yens. For Haneda, I recommend a taxi to or from the Monorail terminal (about 1000 yens) and 15 minutes away, which itself will take you straight into Haneda at a fraction of the price and in about 20 minutes.

I would recommend this hotel for business travellers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Its central location in Minato-ku, within an easy walk to Roppongi, the Diet, U.S. Embassy etc is very convenient. I formerly lived in Tokyo, and whenever we had visitors we would put them up at the ANA. I went back for the first time in seven years (and stayed in the hotel for four days) and found that the hotel, while still pretty nice, is not in the same league of service that it once was. It was perfectly fine, but perhaps not on the same level as say the Okura.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Shinjuku
#1 of 118 in Minato
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier

Been to Ana Intercontinental Tokyo? Share your experiences!