“Decent, western-style hotel”

Keikyu EX Inn Shinagawa Ekimae
Ranked #27 of 112 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed September 1, 2012

It's hard to argue with the convenience of the hotel, being across the street from Shinagawa Station. It's also a stop location for the Airport Limousine Bus, if the Narita Express isn't your thing. Within my two-week stay in Japan, I was here for my last two nights before departure in mid-August. As others have noted, check-in times are quite strict. I was lucky in having help from a clerk who did move my time up to 2pm, which was sufficient in my case. More flexibility in this would be welcome on a general level.

There are amenities and conveniences in the area, though I didn't get to check them all. There is a large area for shopping on the far side of the station that I didn't find my first day and a half, but I was still sight-seeing. One needn't worry about being able to find something nearby to fill a need.

The hotel itself is nice enough, given its age and recent refurbishment. It was the largest room I had in Japan by far with some nice views. I could see both the Tokyo Tower and Tokyo Skytree from my window (depending on clarity), and it's only two train stops to the one nearest Tokyo Tower, and another one beyond to get to the Imperial Palace. A surprising bit of quality appeared in the form of Noritake china being used for the in-room coffee/tea service.

I'm not sure why I didn't give it the fourth star, but it doesn't quite seem right. I would whole-heartedly give 3.5 on this scale. The staff were friendly and helpful, and a good cross-section of them spoke at least some helpful English. There were several dining options within the hotel, though I only tried two. My big complaint ther was that the hostess didn't check in my direction enough, and the patio (at TGI Friday's) was loud enough that no ordinary "sumimasen" could be heard. The restaurant at which I ate a lunch and a breakfast provided good food and a nice garden view. If you go for the breakfast buffet, try to go before 9:15am; it fills up rapidly after then.

Overall, though, I would recommend this hotel, especially to westerners travelling as a group or a family.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Marc H
There are newer reviews for Keikyu EX Inn Shinagawa Ekimae

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Check in time at 15:00, which is not very convenient when you arrive there in the early morning after 15 hours plane trip. They are not flexible at all. Check out time at 10:00. Wonder why they need 5 hours to clean the room.
The rooms are just fine nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Dani_197588
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Conveniently located; yes. Tokyo is so vast so whereever you choose to stay you're always far from something. But having a major train station within 3 minutes walk makes life a lot easier.
The hotel is a typical 3 star hotel, could use a pimping, clean&tidy without the extra excess.

There's a bunch of restaurants in the hotel, amongst others there's a "Fridays" (US Chain) that serves Euro/US food (burgers, meat etc), so you don't have to walk far to get a decent meal.
Across the street there's a small shopping mall with some additional restaurants as well.
The rest of the area offers little of interest, but that at least serves for a good night sleep.

The hotel was close to our office, so for us the location was great. If I was going to Tokyo with leisure in mind I would probably choose another district (closed to Akibara, Shinjiku etc).

Breakfast was quite crappy. Basically only Japanese food (which is in no way close to US/Euro breakfast food) and not very good either. I wouldn't have paid for it if it would have been a private trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This huge hotel is located right next to Shinagawa station. Very convenient. It exist in the building complex called Shinagawa Goos. There are lots of restaurants, bards and shopping within the building as well as all around the station.

The room was clean with a big window looking outside. Checkout was extremely easy. If you do not need to talk to receptionist put the card in at the machine and the job is done in a minute!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank triggfish
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I just got back from staying at this hotel for 4 nights. The location is awesome! Just a few minute walk from the Takanawa exit of Shinagawa station. The rooms are clean with a good variety of amenites (toothbrush, haribrush, even a bath scrub, something I usually bring from home, etc.) I love how the shampoo / conditioner / soap are Shiseido and not some generic brand that doesn't even foam.

We ate at their breakfast buffet almost every day.The restaurant is clean, with great food! The view is a very pretty garden.

There is a small convenient store on the 2nd floor which is open from 6am which was great when I needed a cooling sheet for my sick dauighter and didn't want to walk outside in the cold weather. There is a coin laundry with a microwave oven and vending machine on all the even numbered floors which was a big plus!!

The only thing I was surprised was that they didn't have an outgoing mailbox. I always rent a cell phone when I go on trips and drop it off at the Front desk of the hotel and they will send it out for me (postage is on the package already so I'm not asking for stamps.) I was told there is not post box in the hotel, but the guest service girl kindly offered to drop it off for me on her own time.

The price is reasoable, a supermarket, department store, restaurants, all in walking distance of the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank alohapop
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Great hotel with very nice, clean rooms (with coffee/tea making facilities), friendly staff, super location 2 min. from the station (with direct train to Narita airport), internet access, good and affordable restaurant - only minus are the pillows, but you can ask for a normal pillow at the reception. I would be happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this location and cannot say enough about how good it was. We flew in from Hong Kong late and were able to connect via the airport limousine bus directly to the hotel at Narita ( we did not need to carry our several bags). After a great night in the hotel we left some baggage with the bell captain and connected easily by the Keiku line to Haneda airport where we departed for a 5 day trip to Shikoku. Because the hotel is across from Shinagawa station it was quick, convenient and inexpensive. We returned for 4 nights and were reunited with our luggage. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this renovated hotel and found it to be an excellent location as we had need to be in Ginza, Roppongi, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Asakasa and Asakusa over the remaining days. The staff were great, the rooms at the upper end (we were on 26) are larger than average and we intend to stay at this location when we return.
This is such a calm oasis compared with the Prince Hotel conglomerate across the street.

Room Tip: By a Suica or a Pasmo card at thefirst station you enter and use for all of your ground transportati...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple